Where to live in Irvine?

qwerty said:
locolocal said:
somewhere where there's a large Latino community. 

what you talking bout Willis?

Just from my observation, areas in Orange County where the Latino population is high, you see a lot more kids out and about enjoying parks, playing soccer, hanging out with friends, having a normal childhood.  The only time I see kids in Irvine is at Costco where they're sitting by books while their parents shop.

qwerty said:
locolocal said:
somewhere where there's a large Latino community. 

what you talking bout Willis?

Just from my observation, areas in Orange County where the Latino population is high, you see a lot more kids out and about enjoying parks, playing soccer, hanging out with friends, having a normal childhood.  The only time I see kids in Irvine is at Costco where they're sitting on the floor by books oblivious to people who want to get their cart by them while their parents shop.

Going from a .33 acre yard to a.33 yard yard will be a big culture shock. The only area where you will find kids playing outside of their homes are neighborhood  with younger families. Hence younger families are pretty much price restricted to entry level homes then only the newer communities offer products that satisfy the lower price point. Woodbury, Woodbury East, and Stonegate are such villages with an array of entry level products. However you will have to live among mostly if not all yellow skin neighbors. Some Asian families might allow their kids play in the public parks but they are within an arm length from the parents or grand parents. The mature communities with a much higher price point and the affordable single level home communities (mostly on the "avoid list") are better suited for the mature families in both price point or lifestyle thus lacking the young population congregating at the local park or street.

Kids congregating on the street like Santa Ana is perceived as negative and ghetto like. RC mentioned that it hurts home value. The dichotomy of having both is virtually non existence in this city.

Alrighty then.  I'm not talking about a bunch of hoodlums hanging out by their cars. 
What about sitting on front porches with a glass of wine, walking dogs - saying hi to neighbors?  Any of that?

I just fell off my Aeron Chair reading this.

I dare members to come up with pictures of Irvine houses where there is a front porch with funtional furniture off living room doors and not the god awful token 3' porch with a dust collector bench that you can't even get to from the living room and have to go outside the secured front door.

You are asking for the impossible Newby!

I can recommend you a neighborhood not far from Irvine where there are over 50% of the homes either have adirondacks underneath the front porch, on the front lawn or underneath a tree house.

[insert jim mora sr. voice] porches? we talking about porches?  I just want a driveway

or allen iverson version:

porches? We talking about porches man. Not the driveway that i gave up, not the patio yard that I live and die for. we're talking about porches man.

I think you would still be happy if you broadened your search to all of OC, or even Socal.  Also, if they are really going to be working in the inland empire, there are some cities right on before you cross over to Riverside county such as Anaheim Hills and Yorba Linda.

irvinehomeshopper said:
What is a porch? We only have portico here and it is not wide enough for most mid westerners.

You need to attend the Irvine cultural revolution seminar!

It's a sport car I believe!  What do I win?

What is a porch? We only have portico here and it is not wide enough for most mid westerners.

You need to attend the Irvine cultural revolution seminar!

Has anyone done a gift prank on you like you receiving this big gift wrapped in gorgeous paper and found inside and inside and inside a serie of smaller boxes. When you get to the last tiny box inside that will be your house and lot. The seller will try to convince you that is the small aqua blue box from Tiffany.

homer - your image is mucked up

you guys are way too cynical.  there are plenty of areas in irvine where kids are playing on their streets and you can see tons of chalk paintings around.  while no porches with benches, many people leave their garages open.  granted i see this more in west irvine buts irvine and it does exist

we have many friends in south county and just like irvine, different neighborhoods attract different folks.  wagon wheel is full of young families and streets are full of kiddies.  on the other hand, we have friends in pacific hills and its much less activity with most people having doors and garages closed. 

that's what motor courts are for - block parties...etc

rkp said:

you guys are way too cynical.  there are plenty of areas in irvine where kids are playing on their streets and you can see tons of chalk paintings around.  while no porches with benches, many people leave their garages open.  granted i see this more in west irvine buts irvine and it does exist

we have many friends in south county and just like irvine, different neighborhoods attract different folks.  wagon wheel is full of young families and streets are full of kiddies.  on the other hand, we have friends in pacific hills and its much less activity with most people having doors and garages closed.

Yes, motor courts provide proximity to neighbors, making it easier to say hello and let the children play.
Small yards are easy to maintain- less space for the kids to play means more piano practice.
Phew* Now I can claim my Irvine residency!

The Motor Court Company said:
that's what motor courts are for - block parties...etc

rkp said:

I love social and chat with all of you everyday! Did I post Irvine is anti social here in this thread? I just said there are no real porches.

Let's ask our resident dog walker how many times he was greeted with "Hi".

Irvine homes do not have porches. Young fellow like Homer thought it is a sports car. Kids here don't have the porch experience and neither the adults. We have something similar  like a rolled up garage door where you can see my hoarder shelves and I wave at you from across the street. The front door is actually inside the garage near the front car bumper if you want to come and visit me. On your way in don't topple my Costco stock pile and be careful of the hot oil in my turkey fryer.

IrvineNewby said:
Alrighty then.  I'm not talking about a bunch of hoodlums hanging out by their cars. 
What about sitting on front porches with a glass of wine, walking dogs - saying hi to neighbors?  Any of that?

irvinehomeshopper said:

in irvine, most people dont say hi, in the midwest everyone would say hi, even to a lowly mexican.

irvinehomeshopper said:

I don't know if this counts, but I purposely tested the "Hi" theory the other day here in Foothill Ranch on my two hour walk. Yet another red flag that I spend too much time on this forum. I digress. There was a mixture of East Asian, white, and a couple Indian folks out and about this time, probably not too dissimilar from Irvine. (There were also several Hispanic gardeners. I did not include them as sample subjects in this test, just pedestrians.) Each person I made eye contact with and smiled. I gave them a chance to say hi first. Each person except for one either said hi first or responded when I said hello. The one who didn't was an Asian lady talking on her cell phone. One older white guy was a very enthusiastic greeter, above and beyond normal. He will literally chase you down to say hello. I don't think he's what we'd call: "well".

I was expecting to be ignored more. I was pleasantly surprised with lots of friendly people.

Back