Where to live in Irvine?

The city does not need to build more affordable housing. El Camino Real, Walnut, Deer Field, College Park, Greentree, old Northwood, Portola Springs...etc alone are enough to meet the quota.

locolocal said:
The Motor Court Company said:
Avoid these areas at all cost
1. El Camino Real
2. Walnut
3. Deer Field
4. College Park

May I ask why?  I thought the poster was looking for an area where there will be a sense of community and where the kids will be able to be kids.  Most of the newer communities in Irvine seem to lack that.  She wanted a place where "where people come out of their homes".  Honestly, for that a better choice would be an apartment community (not near UCI though) or somewhere where there's a large Latino community.

irvinehomeshopper said:
I love social and chat with all of you everyday! Did I post Irvine is anti social here in this thread? I just said there are no real porches.

"I love social" is totally going to be my new motto. That should be on a t-shirt!

If you want a bunch of kids playing outside, I would suggest Aliso Viejo. It's more affordable than Irvine, and there are lots of young families. We looked at a house there and there were a million jillion kids playing outside together on a Saturday afternoon, people washing cars, friendly joggers waving at passersby...it was idyllic. I think maybe the agent hosting the open house actually hired actors to pretend to be friendly neighbors.

I disagree, though, with the people who say that nobody says hi in Irvine and that everyone is hiding in their house, refusing to talk to anyone. Some people are friendly and chatty, some people are not...just like anywhere else. One of my neighbors once ran to his backyard to get some tangerines off his tree for my son when we passed his house. There are definitely some nice and friendly people living in Irvine!

I myself, however, am very unfriendly. Not only will I not say hi...but I will glare at you until you cross the street. ;)

Do you think there is discrimination against Mexican? If you are white or Asian then would you get a " hello" greeting?

qwerty said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
Let's ask our resident dog walker how many times he was greeted with "Hi".

in irvine, most people dont say hi, in the midwest everyone would say hi, even to a lowly mexican.

Do people use the "resort like amenities" that I hear so much about and may pay upwards of $200 a month to have in my neighborhood? 

I'd just like to reiterate that if one of you is going to be working in the inland areas, living on the border for a year (or permanently) makes much more sense.  Yorba Linda, Anaheim hills, or Chino Hills all have good schools, larger houses in your price point, and you will actually get to see your working spouse more often.

freedomcm - I appreciate what you are saying, but I really think Irvine will be best suited for our family.  We will certainly look in north Irvine and close access to hwys.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Do you think there is discrimination against Mexican? If you are white or Asian then would you get a " hello" greeting?

qwerty said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

in irvine, most people dont say hi, in the midwest everyone would say hi, even to a lowly mexican.

I would have to say some of it likely due to race/discrimination. Like the data shows, irvine is a two way city (white/Asian) and there is probably a certain level of comfort between them that is not afforded to Mexicans. I'd say the Asians are probably the more racist based on my daily walk experiments in irvine over the last 4.5 years

SoCal78 said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

I don't know if this counts, but I purposely tested the "Hi" theory the other day here in Foothill Ranch on my two hour walk. Yet another red flag that I spend too much time on this forum. I digress. There was a mixture of East Asian, white, and a couple Indian folks out and about this time, probably not too dissimilar from Irvine. (There were also several Hispanic gardeners. I did not include them as sample subjects in this test, just pedestrians.) Each person I made eye contact with and smiled. I gave them a chance to say hi first. Each person except for one either said hi first or responded when I said hello. The one who didn't was an Asian lady talking on her cell phone. One older white guy was a very enthusiastic greeter, above and beyond normal. He will literally chase you down to say hello. I don't think he's what we'd call: "well".

I was expecting to be ignored more. I was pleasantly surprised with lots of friendly people.

A tall, attractive blonde (redhead?) walks down the street, smiles at everyone, and says hello...
I would've bet on expecting more "enthusiastic greeter"-types.  :p

-IR2

IrvineNewby said:
Do people use the "resort like amenities" that I hear so much about and may pay upwards of $200 a month to have in my neighborhood? 
We use the HOA stuff (mostly the pools) as much as we can.

The Woodbury pool is actually really cool for younger kids... they have a water activity area and different pools for swimmers and kids.

irvinehomeowner said:
IrvineNewby said:

The Woodbury pool is actually really cool for younger kids... they have a water activity area and different pools for swimmers and kids.

Which part of woodbury and where abouts? :)

IrvineNewby said:
Alrighty then.  I'm not talking about a bunch of hoodlums hanging out by their cars. 
What about sitting on front porches with a glass of wine, walking dogs - saying hi to neighbors?  Any of that?

People in my condo tract in Irvine do this (but not me as I hail from one of those anti social races).  They are always walking their dogs and when I come home from work I see a bunch of them talking and we refer to it as the puppy club.  Some hang out on the steps outside their front door and yes, even drink wine.  It is a dense condo neighborhood so there aren't nice large porches or private yards but you can still find people being social.

traceimage said:
If you want a bunch of kids playing outside, I would suggest Aliso Viejo. It's more affordable than Irvine, and there are lots of young families. We looked at a house there and there were a million jillion kids playing outside together on a Saturday afternoon, people washing cars, friendly joggers waving at passersby...it was idyllic. I think maybe the agent hosting the open house actually hired actors to pretend to be friendly neighbors.

I've noticed that about some neighborhoods in Aliso too!  And Halloween, it is off the hook there!

freedomcm said:
I'd just like to reiterate that if one of you is going to be working in the inland areas, living on the border for a year (or permanently) makes much more sense.  Yorba Linda, Anaheim hills, or Chino Hills all have good schools, larger houses in your price point, and you will actually get to see your working spouse more often.

More time with the family is great :)  If I worked near those cities, I would definitely consider living over there.  Irvine is a great city to live in.  There are also many other great cities here worth considering.  Traffic/commute time is a big factor for me.

homer_simpson said:
irvinehomeowner said:
IrvineNewby said:

The main pool in Woodbury.

When they first opened it, at the model homes, they gave out temp passes so you can try it out. I also have a few friends who live there that got us into the pool too.

irvinehomeowner said:
homer_simpson said:
irvinehomeowner said:
IrvineNewby said:

The main pool in Woodbury.

When they first opened it, at the model homes, they gave out temp passes so you can try it out. I also have a few friends who live there that got us into the pool too.

Agreed, the kiddie pool at the Woodbury Commons is great.
11slggg.png

Today is one of those days I with I was living in Irvine... Damn! it is hot here in Johns Creek!..... This weather is not a healthy environment for pandas.  :mad:

Back