Where are you looking?

[quote author="Oxtail" date=1252047916]It's interesting that I personally tend to think highly of Foothill High because I've run into some of their grads in HYPSM circles. Funny that someone should be afraid that their kids might attend such a "bad" school. Back in my college days, I also had a disproportionately high opinion of Sunny Hills High(higher than my opinion of Irvine high schools AND Troy back then) because they sent an amazing number of kids to Stanford each year for a public non-magnet.

Irvine high schools are good places to send your overachieving kids not because it guarantees them a ticket to an Ivy, but because they foster good academic environments and give kids the resources and peer support that make raking up impressive extracurriculars that much easier than at less motivated high schools. That said, there are other high schools where your kids can overachieve to their heart's content as well, though I wouldn't really try to game the system for an easier admission to Harvard.

In short, refusing to send your kids to any school but Irvine schools is silly. Purposely sending your kids to a less competitive school in hopes they'll get a better shot at HYPSM is silly as well.</blockquote>

Parents are obsessed with Irvine Schools because they think it is an automatic ticket to the elite colleges not good study habit to become the top freshman at IVC. I have the best of both sides. Daughter attends a good school and I have a ghetto home address. I need to change my daughter's name to Gaudalupe or Danisha to seal the deal.

[quote author="Oxtail" date=1252048261][quote author="bkshopr" date=1252047532]

UCLA is favoring BK's ghetto Belmont High School over UNI High <a href="http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:IH8Kel_MWpgJ:www.bruinalumni.com/articles/racialgames4.html+University+High++in+Irvine+lower+gpa+affect+admission+to+college&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us">Read here</a> Elite colleges are seeking students from the ghettos. They are getting in with lower GPAs and lower SAT.</blockquote>

That really has nothing to do with rich competitive school vs. ghetto school. It's all about skin color. Going to Uni doesn't hurt an Asian student any more than their skin color already hurts them in the admissions process. Where are the top schools actively recruiting poor Asian kids from ghetto schools in Westminster and Garden Grove?</blockquote>
What about our resident FV HSTeacher ?

I graduated from Belmont with crappy GPA and mediocre SAT. However my skin color did not hurt my admission.

Come on. It has been well documented in the WSJ that circumstances etc effects outcome for schools like UCLA. They had an article on the front page comparing a Korean kid to a Latino girl. It appears that public schools have less leeway. There are articles on also IVY leagues from WSJ about legacy admissions etc to garner more donations, etc. Famous people kids are likely to get in IVY leagues also for free advertisement and future donations. What UNI is going to help the kids are not GPA, it is with their aptitude tests. If you are in an environment that are nuts about studying and tests with high level of competition your kids will score high on those SAT scores. Read the book "outliers". It talks about cumulative competitive advantage. This is what the Irvine school system provides and gives your kids the best odd to succeed. Also wealth increases odds of success for your kids.

UCLA is favoring BK's ghetto Belmont High School over UNI High <a href="http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:IH8Kel_MWpgJ:www.bruinalumni.com/articles/racialgames4.html+University+High++in+Irvine+lower+gpa+affect+admission+to+college&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us">Read here</a> Elite colleges are seeking students from the ghettos. They are getting in with lower GPAs and lower SAT.</blockquote>

That really has nothing to do with rich competitive school vs. ghetto school. It's all about skin color. Going to Uni doesn't hurt an Asian student any more than their skin color already hurts them in the admissions process. Where are the top schools actively recruiting poor Asian kids from ghetto schools in Westminster and Garden Grove?</blockquote>

diversity doesn't mean just race, but also geography and socio-economic level. otherwise schools would be filled with just asian kids from uni/san marino and wasps from exeter.

[quote author="acpme" date=1252050089][quote author="Oxtail" date=1252048261][quote author="bkshopr" date=1252047532]

diversity doesn't mean just race, but also geography and socio-economic level. otherwise schools would be filled with just asian kids from uni/san marino and wasps from exeter.</blockquote>

I agree with acpme. The ghetto schools today are mostly Hispanic and Black population and the assumption was non-Asians /White students from the ghetto schools. However I do know many Asian immigrants from inner city schools were accepted to top tier colleges. My family is in the sweatshop business many of the co-workers children graduated from Belmont, Lincoln, Wilson, Roosevelt and Franklin HS were accepted to colleges no less than the class of UCLA. The children of the Dim Sum cart ladies we know in Monterey Park all have attended top tier colleges. They live in El Monte, Rosemead, Baldwin Park, Alhambra and East LA.

May be they are all "Exceptions". What was amazing that all of the kids parents were too busy earning a living at a restaurant or a sweatshop and were absent in their lives.

I am passionate about this subject because I was one of the poor and dumb Chinese kid without a chance at college. The colleges did recognize the factor of my ghetto school and accepted me with poor grades and SAT score eventhough I did not fit the skin color stereotype.

Not all Asian parents pressure their children to be scholars. Cantonese and Taiwanese are the most strict but they are not the Westminster and GG population.

[quote author="acpme" date=1252050089]

diversity doesn't mean just race, but also geography and socio-economic level. otherwise schools would be filled with just asian kids from uni/san marino and wasps from exeter.</blockquote>

<a href="http://www.nytimes.com/1999/05/02/magazine/the-class-of-prop-209.html?pagewanted=1">NYT: The class of Prop 209</a>

<blockquote>In the aftermath of the regents' decision, the numbers crunchers in the central administration of the University of California tried valiantly to come up with some legitimate credential that they could select that would happen to correlate with race. They tried low socioeconomic status or first-in-the-family-to-go-to-college or some combination of the two; what they got were mostly working-class whites and Asians. The truth is that most affirmative action beneficiaries are only relatively disadvantaged. The average black student applying to the University of California comes from a family whose income is $38,000. (The figure for whites is $75,000.) Behind this fact lies an appalling statistic: nationwide, the average S.A.T. score of black students from the uppermost quarter of the socioeconomic scale is lower than the average score of whites or Asians from the lowest quarter. What this means is that impoverished black students are not even in the running, while middle-class students only do well enough to get into the affirmative action pool.</blockquote>

It's a long article. Quote is from page 10.

[quote author="acpme" date=1252045260][quote author="bkshopr" date=1252043463]If Harvard is facing a decision between a 4.0 GPA black student from Compton High raised by a single mom and a white kid with a 3.6 GPA from UNI High living in Shady Canyon with attorney parents then we pretty know what the outcome would be.</blockquote>

it's rare that harvard would take more than a few students from the same school in any given yr no matter how many worthy applicants there were from that school. it's a simple matter of diversity.

i remember an admissions officer once telling me that elite schools are more interested in a well-rounded <em>student body</em>. many parents, especially the robot-raising irvine kind, and students mistakenly interpret that as schools looking for well-rounded<em> students</em>. 4.0 gpa students asian americans from upper middle class neighborhoods are a dime a dozen in the college applicant pool. asian parents, not exactly the most creative bunch, would say, "piano lessons! tennis lessons!" oh yeah, because harvard admissions never come across a 4.0 gpa piano-tennis-playing asian americans :-/

seriously if you want your kid to go to harvard, instead of paying a million bucks to live in turtle rock, you could just glue a paper mache horn on your child's head. instead of going to Uni, go UNICORN. harvard and stanford have never denied admissions to a half man-half unicorn.</blockquote>

I just had to let you know how hard I'm laughing at this. The picture of all the PTA crazies actually trying out your suggestion is priceless.

I love Turtle Rock so much it is hard to imagine buying a home anywhere else. But I do love this one model in Portola Springs.... so it could happn. But having said that, I love my apartment so much in Turtle Rock, so I might just never buy. Who knows?

Back