Where are you looking?

[quote author="Anonymous" date=1251955032](In other words, an A or B from a lower performing school is adjusted down, and an A or B from a higher performing school is adjusted up). He said he has no idea how it all really works, but he does know there have been Uni students with B?s that got into Ivy League schools somehow</blockquote>In secondary review if you had 2 "equally qualified" (tests and grades) applicants, some private schools will give the nod to a University High graduate or someone from a top east coast prep-school. But no large public school (Cal, UCLA, and any UC) would do this for admission purposes.

[quote author="xoneinax" date=1251961496][quote author="Anonymous" date=1251955032](In other words, an A or B from a lower performing school is adjusted down, and an A or B from a higher performing school is adjusted up). He said he has no idea how it all really works, but he does know there have been Uni students with B?s that got into Ivy League schools somehow</blockquote>In secondary review if you had 2 "equally qualified" (tests and grades) applicants, some private schools will give the nod to a University High graduate or someone from a top east coast prep-school. But no large public school (Cal, UCLA, and any UC) would do this for admission purposes.</blockquote>

Does colleges track all the idiosyncrasy of different high schools in the whole country for nuances?

That is a lot of work and how do they know that? Unless the source came from an impartial entity I would not give it a lot of credibility if it came from Uni High.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1251978984][quote author="xoneinax" date=1251961496][quote author="Anonymous" date=1251955032](In other words, an A or B from a lower performing school is adjusted down, and an A or B from a higher performing school is adjusted up). He said he has no idea how it all really works, but he does know there have been Uni students with B?s that got into Ivy League schools somehow</blockquote>In secondary review if you had 2 "equally qualified" (tests and grades) applicants, some private schools will give the nod to a University High graduate or someone from a top east coast prep-school. But no large public school (Cal, UCLA, and any UC) would do this for admission purposes.</blockquote>

Does colleges track all the idiosyncrasy of different high schools in the whole country for nuances?

That is a lot of work and how do they know that? Unless the source came from an impartial entity I would not give it a lot of credibility if it came from Uni High.</blockquote>

I know, seriously! How many high schools must there be in the country? I think a good way to judge if colleges know about Uni would be if they are recruiting on campus. I know some of the Ivy league schools recruit at Troy High school in Fullerton. I imagine this is so because Troy has a long history in competing in national academic competitions and a distinct science program.

I would pay attention to the applicant from Hollywood High, Columbine, Garfield, and Compton High before I would give a benefit of a doubt to the B student from Uni High.

I suggest adding "Kennedy" to one's middle or last name may have a better chance.

[quote author="acpme" date=1252022538]or if you're interested in business school, add -BERG to your name!</blockquote>

Changberg?

Wangberg?

Moved to Irvine when I was young. Left for higher education for quite some time, but moved back. Rented in Irvine while I waited for, then happily watched the market crash. Wanted a home in Irvine, despite commute, prices, and high HOA's in some of the places I liked. REALLY wanted Irvine - to the point of seriously looking at those crammed tetris-style horseshoe tri-level condos all the way back in portola springs. Held out for Irvine!!!!! ...and bought in Columbus Square, Tustin. The price/sq. foot was just too appealing at the time, and it had all of the newness that I wanted. In 3-5 years, I'm sure the surrounding area will be great, should have some extensive parks, rumors of a Kimpton Hotel on the redhill/baranca corner (Wooooo!), and I am still a very short hop up the 241 to Irvine Blvd (near family).

I think that by the time baby Mojo's start running around here, the inner-tustin field schools will be completed and should be pretty nice.

That doesnt mean I rule out Irvine for a future purchase, however.

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1252029980]Moved to Irvine when I was young. Left for higher education for quite some time, but moved back. Rented in Irvine while I waited for, then happily watched the market crash. Wanted a home in Irvine, despite commute, prices, and high HOA's in some of the places I liked. REALLY wanted Irvine - to the point of seriously looking at those crammed tetris-style horseshoe tri-level condos all the way back in portola springs. Held out for Irvine!!!!! ...and bought in Columbus Square, Tustin. The price/sq. foot was just too appealing at the time, and it had all of the newness that I wanted. In 3-5 years, I'm sure the surrounding area will be great, should have some extensive parks, rumors of a Kimpton Hotel on the redhill/baranca corner (Wooooo!), and I am still a very short hop up the 241 to Irvine Blvd (near family).

I think that by the time baby Mojo's start running around here, the inner-tustin field schools will be completed and should be pretty nice.

That doesnt mean I rule out Irvine for a future purchase, however.</blockquote>

I dare you invite NoVAs for BBQ.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1251978984]Does colleges track all the idiosyncrasy of different high schools in the whole country for nuances?

That is a lot of work and how do they know that? Unless the source came from an impartial entity I would not give it a lot of credibility if it came from Uni High.</blockquote>I know that Harvard keeps careful track of how many applicants they receive and accept from each of the super-elite prep schools in Korea; just red an article on it. Let me find it.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1252035014]I dare you invite NoVAs for BBQ</blockquote>Why ? Does he ride with the Mongols ?

[quote author="xoneinax" date=1252036494][quote author="bkshopr" date=1251978984]Does colleges track all the idiosyncrasy of different high schools in the whole country for nuances?

That is a lot of work and how do they know that? Unless the source came from an impartial entity I would not give it a lot of credibility if it came from Uni High.</blockquote>I know that Harvard keeps careful track of how many applicants they receive and accept from each of the super-elite prep schools in Korea; just red an article on it. Let me find it.</blockquote>

Yes they do keep track of the foreign students and their schools. Do they turn away the A students and accept the B students from the foreign schools too because Harvard understands the schools are super hard there too?

I just placed a call to UNI High and yes the school did confirm that the Ivy League schools did look into the matter when rejected lower GPA students challenge and appeal the admission decision. No facts and figures were disclosed regarding the success of overturned decision.

Ivy League schools do not factor in the competitive nature of UNI High to rob other applicants' opportunities. The schools only look into the matter only when the applicants challenge the rejection.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1252040365]I just placed a call to UNI High and yes the school did confirm that the Ivy League schools did look into the matter when rejected lower GPA students challenge and appeal the admission decision. No facts and figures were disclosed regarding the success of overturned decision.

Ivy League schools do not factor in the competitive nature of UNI High to rob other applicants' opportunities. The schools only look into the matter only when the applicants challenge the rejection.</blockquote>
So HS students who applied to Ivy League schools and got rejected appealed the colleges' decisions? haha That is too funny. I have a few words of advice to those students....you got rejected...DEAL WITH IT!!!

If Harvard is facing a decision between a 4.0 GPA black student from Compton High raised by a single mom and a white kid with a 3.6 GPA from UNI High living in Shady Canyon with attorney parents then we pretty know what the outcome would be.

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1252041295][quote author="bkshopr" date=1252040365]I just placed a call to UNI High and yes the school did confirm that the Ivy League schools did look into the matter when rejected lower GPA students challenge and appeal the admission decision. No facts and figures were disclosed regarding the success of overturned decision.

Ivy League schools do not factor in the competitive nature of UNI High to rob other applicants' opportunities. The schools only look into the matter only when the applicants challenge the rejection.</blockquote>
So HS students who applied to Ivy League schools and got rejected appealed the colleges' decisions? haha That is too funny. I have a few words of advice to those students....you got rejected...DEAL WITH IT!!!</blockquote>
Their way of dealing with it is to appeal, and the success rate of appeals is quite high. I do not know the reasons, but I do know that the UC schools take many applicants on appeal.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1252043463]If Harvard is facing a decision between a 4.0 GPA black student from Compton High raised by a single mom and a white kid with a 3.6 GPA from UNI High living in Shady Canyon with attorney parents then we pretty know what the outcome would be.</blockquote>

it's rare that harvard would take more than a few students from the same school in any given yr no matter how many worthy applicants there were from that school. it's a simple matter of diversity.

i remember an admissions officer once telling me that elite schools are more interested in a well-rounded <em>student body</em>. many parents, especially the robot-raising irvine kind, and students mistakenly interpret that as schools looking for well-rounded<em> students</em>. 4.0 gpa students asian americans from upper middle class neighborhoods are a dime a dozen in the college applicant pool. asian parents, not exactly the most creative bunch, would say, "piano lessons! tennis lessons!" oh yeah, because harvard admissions never come across a 4.0 gpa piano-tennis-playing asian americans :-/

seriously if you want your kid to go to harvard, instead of paying a million bucks to live in turtle rock, you could just glue a paper mache horn on your child's head. instead of going to Uni, go UNICORN. harvard and stanford have never denied admissions to a half man-half unicorn.

[quote author="acpme" date=1252045260][quote author="bkshopr" date=1252043463]If Harvard is facing a decision between a 4.0 GPA black student from Compton High raised by a single mom and a white kid with a 3.6 GPA from UNI High living in Shady Canyon with attorney parents then we pretty know what the outcome would be.</blockquote>

it's rare that harvard would take more than a few students from the same school in any given yr no matter how many worthy applicants there were from that school. it's a simple matter of diversity.

i remember an admissions officer once telling me that elite schools are more interested in a well-rounded <em>student body</em>. many parents, especially the robot-raising irvine kind, and students mistakenly interpret that as schools looking for well-rounded students. 4.0 gpa students asian americans from upper middle class neighborhood are a dime a dozen in the pool of college applicants. asian parents, not exactly the most creative bunch, would say, piano lessons! tennis lessons! oh yeah, because 4.0 gpa piano-playing, tennis-lesson asian americans from upper middle class neighborhoods is much more rare. :-/

schools know that the value of their education comes from the entire collegiate experience; that means where, what, and with whom will the students be interacting with for the next four yrs - not just what textbooks they will be reading and what grades they will get. exceptions are schools like a prep academies but that often has to do with the legacy applicants.

seriously if you want your kid to go to harvard, instead of paying a million bucks to live in turtle rock, you could just glue a paper mache horn on your child's head. instead of going to Uni, go UNICORN. i guarantee there are no unicorn boys in their student body.</blockquote>

Interesting you mention piano and TENNIS. Why tennis? Tennis players are ridiculously underrated by the general population.

Also, when I think of upper class Asians, I think of golf, not tennis.

[quote author="acpme" date=1252045260][quote author="bkshopr" date=1252043463]If Harvard is facing a decision between a 4.0 GPA black student from Compton High raised by a single mom and a white kid with a 3.6 GPA from UNI High living in Shady Canyon with attorney parents then we pretty know what the outcome would be.</blockquote>

i remember an admissions officer once telling me that elite schools are more interested in a well-rounded <em>student body</em>. many parents, especially the robot-raising irvine kind, and students mistakenly interpret that as schools looking for well-rounded<em> students</em>. 4.0 gpa students asian americans from upper middle class neighborhoods are a dime a dozen in the college applicant pool. asian parents, not exactly the most creative bunch, would say, "piano lessons! tennis lessons!" oh yeah, because harvard admissions never come across a 4.0 gpa piano-tennis-playing asian americans :-/

seriously if you want your kid to go to harvard, instead of paying a million bucks to live in turtle rock, you could just glue a paper mache horn on your child's head. instead of going to Uni, go UNICORN. harvard and stanford have never denied admissions to a half man-half unicorn.</blockquote>

UCLA is favoring BK's ghetto Belmont High School over UNI High <a href="http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:IH8Kel_MWpgJ:www.bruinalumni.com/articles/racialgames4.html+University+High++in+Irvine+lower+gpa+affect+admission+to+college&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us">Read here</a> Elite colleges are seeking students from the ghettos. They are getting in with lower GPAs and lower SAT.

UNI High student population dropped to 77% while ghetto school enrollment increased 300%.

It's interesting that I personally tend to think highly of Foothill High because I've run into some of their grads in HYPSM circles. Funny that someone should be afraid that their kids might attend such a "bad" school. Back in my college days, I also had a disproportionately high opinion of Sunny Hills High(higher than my opinion of Irvine high schools AND Troy back then) because they sent an amazing number of kids to Stanford each year for a public non-magnet.

Irvine high schools are good places to send your overachieving kids not because it guarantees them a ticket to an Ivy, but because they foster good academic environments and give kids the resources and peer support that make raking up impressive extracurriculars that much easier than at less motivated high schools. That said, there are other high schools where your kids can overachieve to their heart's content as well, though I wouldn't really try to game the system for an easier admission to Harvard.

In short, refusing to send your kids to any school but Irvine schools is silly. Purposely sending your kids to a less competitive school in hopes they'll get a better shot at HYPSM is silly as well.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1252047532]

UCLA is favoring BK's ghetto Belmont High School over UNI High <a href="http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:IH8Kel_MWpgJ:www.bruinalumni.com/articles/racialgames4.html+University+High++in+Irvine+lower+gpa+affect+admission+to+college&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us">Read here</a> Elite colleges are seeking students from the ghettos. They are getting in with lower GPAs and lower SAT.</blockquote>

That really has nothing to do with rich competitive school vs. ghetto school. It's all about skin color. Going to Uni doesn't hurt an Asian student any more than their skin color already hurts them in the admissions process. Where are the top schools actively recruiting poor Asian kids from ghetto schools in Westminster and Garden Grove?

Back