What the "Dow" is happening?

zubs said:
You know how people were talking about the FED having no ammunition the next time a recession hits because interest rates were already at 0%?....well perhaps Trump is loading up his ammunition with these tariffs....if wall street takes a shit, he just relaxes tariffs on China to bring it back up.

and yet we've had people on this board screaming from the rooftops that presidents don't affect the markets  :)

This is a convo better suited for this thread and not the stock picking thread...

Kings said:
eyephone said:
It looks like the yield curve briefly inverts with the 2 year treasuries which topped the 10 year rate.

#notLookingGood

you seem to be following what's going on around the world, so you should know that the european economy is in the tank and asia is seeing a lot of unrest.  which means the united states is still by far the safest place to put your money, thus with everyone taking their money to buy 10 year treasuries the price will go down.  calls for recession in the us are just the latest outrage that the media can play to get more clicks and eyeballs.

,,,,and 25 countries have 0 or negative interest rates right now. That tells you the world about the health of our economy vs the rest of the world.

The zero or negative interest rate regime continues

25 countries have zero or negative interest rates including Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden, Japan, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia and Spain.

https://thistimeitisdifferent.com/all-time-low-interest-rates-july-2019

morekaos said:
This is a convo better suited for this thread and not the stock picking thread...

Kings said:
eyephone said:
It looks like the yield curve briefly inverts with the 2 year treasuries which topped the 10 year rate.

#notLookingGood

you seem to be following what's going on around the world, so you should know that the european economy is in the tank and asia is seeing a lot of unrest.  which means the united states is still by far the safest place to put your money, thus with everyone taking their money to buy 10 year treasuries the price will go down.  calls for recession in the us are just the latest outrage that the media can play to get more clicks and eyeballs.

,,,,and 25 countries have 0 or negative interest rates right now. That tells you the world about the health of our economy vs the rest of the world.

The zero or negative interest rate regime continues

25 countries have zero or negative interest rates including Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden, Japan, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia and Spain.

https://thistimeitisdifferent.com/all-time-low-interest-rates-july-2019

a good indicator of the strength of the economy is how the pallet industry is doing.  i don't think we're heading for a recession.

Growth in US pallet demand will be supported by gains in domestic manufacturing and warehousing activity, and by the replacement of worn pallets with newer units.
US demand to rise 1.7% annually through 2019

The total number of pallets in use in the US is forecast to increase 1.9 percent annually through 2019 to 2.6 billion units, supported by gains in US manufacturing and warehousing activity. This will lead to an increase in pallet demand of 1.7 percent per year to 1.4 billion units. When manufacturing activity fell during the 2007-2009 economic recession, a significant number of pallets sat idle. Pallet users satisfied product handling requirements with existing stock and purchased new pallets only when absolutely necessary. This lowered the overall condition of the pallet stock, as pallets were not repaired or replaced at normal intervals. When the economy recovered, users began to replace these older pallets with new units, resulting in pallet demand gains of nearly nine percent per year between 2009 and 2014. In addition, the replacement of poor quality pallets with newer units resulted in a marginal increase in aggregate stock levels during this time.

https://www.freedoniagroup.com/industry-study/pallets-3314.htm

sleepy5136 said:
eyephone said:
The evergrande news hit. Buy the dip?
Lol I had a thread exactly about this and knew it was going to hit the US markets eventually. I bought a little.

The company is more than a traditional RE company. They also own a soccer team, ev vehicles, theme park/malls, food and beverages. idk

eyephone said:
sleepy5136 said:
eyephone said:
The evergrande news hit. Buy the dip?
Lol I had a thread exactly about this and knew it was going to hit the US markets eventually. I bought a little.

The company is more than a traditional RE company. They also own a soccer team, ev vehicles, theme park/malls, food and beverages. idk
The only issue I see that can be a broader issue is if a more global entity in China is heavily exposed to them. I'd avoid chinese stocks for some time.

china will bail out the banks, not evergrande.  evergrande will end up getting sold off in pieces and the executives sent to reeducation camps probably.

the bigger problem for global markets is a fear that china will crack down further on debt-fueled growth.

Seems like China isn't making it public on whether there will be a bailout. Hopefully you guys bought that 5% dip yesterday. Today was flat. I suspect there might be a dip again that can be bought for longer term investors. But who knows, I could be wrong.

That dip I mentioned couple days ago happened on Tues/Wed. Market is now holding onto 120 MA. Bought little more yesterday and today.

1. Social media stocks took a hit today. Due to the apple privacy policy may effect advertising on those platforms.
2. Donald Trump?s SPAC ticket symbol dwac flying high

eyephone said:
1. Social media stocks took a hit today. Due to the apple privacy policy may effect advertising on those platforms.
earnings this coming week is going to be very interesting.

sleepy5136 said:
eyephone said:
earnings this coming week is going to be very interesting.

Indeed.

FB on 10/25
AMD, GOOG, MSFT, TXN, TWTR on 10/26
AAPL, EBAY on 10/27
AMZN  on 10/28

Looks like all isn?t that bad from earnings. Seems like tech is the way to go. Supply shortages aren?t impacting them as much.

Back