What the "Dow" is happening?

Loco_local said:
Kings said:
glad to see everyone listened to your favorite president to buy the dip!  merry christmas!

That SSO isn't looking so good this morning. I blame the Fed and Obama.

:)  correct - rallies are all trump and selloffs are democrats

On a serious note I added 10 percent more this am and moved my stops higher , now at 35 percent allocation (from zero last week) . Likely will sit tight here until Jan .

Free advice to those who care  ? For now, SPY, QQQ etc are still in longer term downtrends, so my only long side activity here is the index ETFs and not going after any single stock names. If/when it reverts to uptrend, I will branch out into singles. But not touching them until then.

On a different note ? Most interesting part of speaking with non finance/MBA types the last week or so was when asked why the market was selling off, it was much harder to explain than e.g. late 15/16. Also, oddly got asked a lot more this time, perhaps cause real damage then was done late Jan/Feb, not Dec.

One common theme though was everyone asking assumed it had something to do with Trump. And yes, there's obviously selection bias in that, but I was in purple type crowd (not exactly CA purple either) FWIW

Another common theme was a few people echoing their financial advisors as being clueless in terms of tangible and actionable market advice as opposed to the generic sound bites and articles they were provided on their ?platforms? . I suspect many of those advisors are about to lose these clients in the new year.

Market closed higher; seems like you know your game well

fortune11 said:
Free advice to those who care  ? For now, SPY, QQQ etc are still in longer term downtrends, so my only long side activity here is the index ETFs and not going after any single stock names. If/when it reverts to uptrend, I will branch out into singles. But not touching them until then.

On a different note ? Most interesting part of speaking with non finance/MBA types the last week or so was when asked why the market was selling off, it was much harder to explain than e.g. late 15/16. Also, oddly got asked a lot more this time, perhaps cause real damage then was done late Jan/Feb, not Dec.

One common theme though was everyone asking assumed it had something to do with Trump. And yes, there's obviously selection bias in that, but I was in purple type crowd (not exactly CA purple either) FWIW

Another common theme was a few people echoing their financial advisors as being clueless in terms of tangible and actionable market advice as opposed to the generic sound bites and articles they were provided on their ?platforms? . I suspect many of those advisors are about to lose these clients in the new year.

eyephone said:
Just sold some stock at a loss. (For tax purposes)

Find a girl with a huge stock loss, marry her with prenup, wash your stock gains, divorce her. Win!

Does this work?  ;D

Cares said:
eyephone said:
Just sold some stock at a loss. (For tax purposes)

Find a girl with a huge stock loss, marry her with prenup, wash your stock gains, divorce her. Win!

Does this work?  ;D

I believe so. 

Awkward conversation: Do you invest in stocks? If so, do you own stocks that are at a loss.

OCLuvr said:
Are you guys ready for blood bath tomorrow?

I made very good money when stocks bottomed last time. Sold a couple days later and ready for the next wave down. Maybe we don't go lower, maybe it takes a while..... earnings for other companies are going to cause ripples too is my guess.

Bear markets are the time to real in cash in a hurry as long as you are in cash.

As for Apple, it will tank, either all in one day or over a few and when some big trader/investor is done buying, they will announce they bought and what a bargain it is and bamm?? sheep will buy it while the trader/investor books a nice profit.

Watch out for next quarter guidance though.

OCLuvr said:
Are you guys ready for blood bath tomorrow?

Remember what I said before ?- federal reserve matters more than anything else at this point , notwithstanding this aapl news which every analyst  worth their job description should have seen coming

For those interested in what I am doing , not touching aapl here . Need to see more evidence in the charts of a sustained bottom

OCLuvr said:
Are you buying more or wait-n-watch?

I am comfortable w my 35 percent allocation for now . Stops haven?t been hit .

Big picture , whether the fed believes it or not, the equity and bond markets ( yield curve today) are pricing in a recession . If that is indeed the case , I want some more evidence of fed being supportive as opposed to the ivory tower mentality they have now ? before I add more

fortune11 said:
OCLuvr said:
Are you buying more or wait-n-watch?

I am comfortable w my 35 percent allocation for now . Stops haven?t been hit .

Big picture , whether the fed believes it or not, the equity and bond markets ( yield curve today) are pricing in a recession . If that is indeed the case , I want some more evidence of fed being supportive as opposed to the ivory tower mentality they have now ? before I add more

Mortgage rates are amazing right now. I just locked.

Some of the AAPL puts for tomorrow expiry are up 40x+...

Gotta be some insider trading here, volume is huuuuuge (Donald Trump voice)

I am currently 80% in a bonds / 20% gold portfolio in my equity exposure as of October 2018 going into 2019. Nailed it right when the 10 year hit 3.15%.

Good luck to you all.

Panda

marmott said:
Cares said:
Mortgage rates are amazing right now. I just locked.

How amazing are we talking about? Late 2017 amazing?

Apparently close.  Average for 30 year is at about 4.4%

Mortgage rates have been plummeting, depending on your definition of the word.  To be sure, the past 2 months have no competition in nearly 3 years.  The past few days have been special in their own right.  Whereas there was cause for concern about the new year bringing a bounce for stock prices and mortgage rates, stocks haven't done much of anything in the context of their late-2018 volatility, and mortgage rates have dropped another eighth of a percentage point (or more, depending on the lender).

There are now lenders quoting 30yr fixed rates as low as 4.375% on top tier scenarios with the average lender back to 4.5%.  That's quite a jump from the 5.125% average at the recent highs (just 2 months ago).

http://www.mortgagenewsdaily.com/consumer_rates/892501.aspx

aquabliss said:
Some of the AAPL puts for tomorrow expiry are up 40x+...

Gotta be some insider trading here, volume is huuuuuge (Donald Trump voice)

People trying to get in on a "bargain".  The more I think of it...the less I like Apple. 

Back