What the "Dow" is happening?

This is another one of trumps gems from the summer , right around the time I exited equity beta in my acts and the time the MAGA folks on this forum were cheerleading everything and painting the forum with wall to wall economic posts everyday . Seems like an era ago now

Trump (8/30/18) ? ?The news from the Financial Markets is even better than anticipated. For all of you that have made a fortune in the markets, or seen your 401k?s rise beyond your wildest expectations, more good news is coming! ?

Yes , recession in 2019 seems like a real possibility now (market implied odds are 60 percent ) . Not sure about impeachment though ... witness the recent cave in by the house over that stupid wall (or is it ?slatted ? fence or whatever)

zubs said:
2019 sees a possible impeachment and likely recession

I dunno... as crazy as our POTUS is, they couldn't get Bill (although more of a scandal than what Trump is being accused of) so I have doubts they will be able to get the Tangster.

Can tweets be used as incriminating evidence?

irvinehomeowner said:
zubs said:

I dunno... as crazy as our POTUS is, they couldn't get Bill (although more of a scandal than what Trump is being accused of) so I have doubts they will be able to get the Tangster.

The things that Clinton was accused of is a lot less severity than Trump. 

irvinehomeowner said:
zubs said:

FCC and DOJ got Elon to resign his post as Chairman after proven his tweets manipulated Testla stocks price.

For those interested ? after exiting equities in August this year , I have  added some allocation now ( proportionally , If I sold 100 percent of my equity allocation in August , adding 25 percent now) .

Starting w SPY for now ? remember market needs to give indication of stability before dabbling into individual stocks .

Well aware that we may see a further sell off from here before we find the bottom , but I just don?t see it happening in a big way unless we are actually heading into negative earnings yoy growth next year - which I don?t think is happening . That being said,  I do have a tight stop loss here of 5 percent to test that hypothesis .

fortune11 said:
For those interested ? after exiting equities in August this year , I have  added some allocation now ( proportionally , If I sold 100 percent of my equity allocation in August , adding 25 percent now) .

Starting w SPY for now ? remember market needs to give indication of stability before dabbling into individual stocks .

Well aware that we may see a further sell off from here before we find the bottom , but I just don?t see it happening in a big way unless we are actually heading into negative earnings yoy growth next year - which I don?t think is happening . That being said,  I do have a tight stop loss here of 5 percent to test that hypothesis .

Great minds think alike, I bought a good chunk of SSO this morning, Up 4% already

qwerty said:
fortune11 said:

Great minds think alike, I bought a good chunk of SSO this morning, Up 4% already

I never sold unfortunately, but took a good chunk of cash laying around and bought SPY this morning.

Every time a US president has phoned a child to tell them Santa doesn't exist, the Dow Jones has gained a thousand points :) 

This rally is bitter sweet.  I almost want us to hang around in bear market territory for 12ish months just to get it over with and move on.  If we jump back up to new highs in Q1 2019, I'm sure the bear market is in for a not-so-nice rest of the year.  Weird logic, I know.

aquabliss said:
This rally is bitter sweet.  I almost want us to hang around in bear market territory for 12ish months just to get it over with and move on.  If we jump back up to new highs in Q1 2019, I'm sure the bear market is in for a not-so-nice rest of the year.  Weird logic, I know.

Dead Cat bounces are the dying gasps of the bulls.  No one wants to admit that the market is going down.

If anything, the 1000 point gain shows that emotions, not fundamentals, are controlling.  Time to get out.

Irvinecommuter said:
aquabliss said:

Dead Cat bounces are the dying gasps of the bulls.  No one wants to admit that the market is going down.

If anything, the 1000 point gain shows that emotions, not fundamentals, are controlling.  Time to get out.

Bear market rallies are a distinct feature of a market going through a bigger correction

But the kicker is - you will ONLY know that in hindsight AFTER the fact . And someone will come along on this forum claiming they knew it was going to happen all along.

The deal is this - market was oversold by every measure at least in my book and I saw a chance to get back in if it is indeed a continuation of the long term bull market trend line

If it is a indeed break , you still want to have dry powder available to invest - hence my 25 percent comment

Also worthwhile to move your stop loss progressively higher as you make profits so that you lock in gains or at least break even

fortune11 said:
Irvinecommuter said:
aquabliss said:

Bear market rallies are a distinct feature of a market going through a bigger correction

But the kicker is - you will ONLY know that in hindsight AFTER the fact . And someone will come along on this forum claiming they knew it was going to happen all along.

The deal is this - market was oversold by every measure at least in my book and I saw a chance to get back in if it is indeed a continuation of the long term bull market trend line

If it is a indeed break , you still want to have dry powder available to invest - hence my 25 percent comment

Also worthwhile to move your stop loss progressively higher as you make profits so that you lock in gains or at least break even

Trying to figure out if I want to cash out my savings or get tax breaks for my losses.

aquabliss said:

That can happen if we have a 2000-2002 like market behavior with several bear rallies in between punctuated by fed rate cuts . But remember , market is a lot more ?pull forward-y? now and what used to transpire over months tends to get priced in days . Hence the big 20 percent correction , a lot quicker than the 2014-15 timeframe

Another tip I have free of financial advisor commissions ? look at high yield or junk bond funds ? if oil continues climbing and fed blinks which they likely will , you are setup for a nice 8 to 9 percent return there .

All this assumes we are not headed into a full blown recession ? I believe we are not . In fact this market sell off may have extended the cycle by a couple more years.

fortune11 said:
aquabliss said:

That can happen if we have a 2000-2002 like market behavior with several bear rallies in between punctuated by fed rate cuts . But remember , market is a lot more ?pull forward-y? now and what used to transpire over months tends to get priced in days . Hence the big 20 percent correction , a lot quicker than the 2014-15 timeframe

Another tip I have free of financial advisor commissions ? look at high yield or junk bond funds ? if oil continues climbing and fed blinks which they likely will , you are setup for a nice 8 to 9 percent return there .

All this assumes we are not headed into a full blown recession ? I believe we are not . In fact this market sell off may have extended the cycle by a couple more years.

Good call Fortune. Your screen name reflects your wealth :)

glad to see everyone listened to your favorite president to buy the dip!  merry christmas!

With Trump Preaching Buy the Dip, Stocks Look Cheapest in Years
By Chris Anstey
December 26, 2018, 2:07 AM PST

The flip side of what?s been the third-worst month for American stocks in the postwar era is that prices are a whole lot cheaper than they were before the rout.

While it may take a strong stomach to nibble at U.S. equities, they do offer the most attractive valuations since 2013, measured by the price-to-earnings ratio for the S&P 500 Index in data compiled by Bloomberg. At little more than 13 times the coming year?s estimated earnings, American stocks are also looking less of an outlier versus other advanced markets than earlier this year.

President Donald Trump was less equivocal about American companies at the White House Tuesday: ?They have record kinds of numbers. So I think it?s a tremendous opportunity to buy. Really a great opportunity to buy.?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-26/trump-says-buy-the-dip-and-why-not-at-valuations-like-these

Kings said:
glad to see everyone listened to your favorite president to buy the dip!  merry christmas!

With Trump Preaching Buy the Dip, Stocks Look Cheapest in Years
By Chris Anstey
December 26, 2018, 2:07 AM PST

The flip side of what?s been the third-worst month for American stocks in the postwar era is that prices are a whole lot cheaper than they were before the rout.

While it may take a strong stomach to nibble at U.S. equities, they do offer the most attractive valuations since 2013, measured by the price-to-earnings ratio for the S&P 500 Index in data compiled by Bloomberg. At little more than 13 times the coming year?s estimated earnings, American stocks are also looking less of an outlier versus other advanced markets than earlier this year.

President Donald Trump was less equivocal about American companies at the White House Tuesday: ?They have record kinds of numbers. So I think it?s a tremendous opportunity to buy. Really a great opportunity to buy.?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-26/trump-says-buy-the-dip-and-why-not-at-valuations-like-these

LOL...seriously, Bagdad Bob has nothing on Trumpers.

Loco_local said:
Kings said:

That SSO isn't looking so good this morning. I blame the Fed and Obama.

It was good for me, it was a short term trade that became a day trade.

Back