What the "Dow" is happening?

eyephone said:
Today the big sell off.
Good thing I switched to money market for my 4O1. (people didn?t listen to me)

I don't have a need for the money.  I'm like 40% stock, 50% bond, and 10% cash.    Can't really adjust it any more.

Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:
Today the big sell off.
Good thing I switched to money market for my 4O1. (people didn?t listen to me)

I don't have a need for the money.  I'm like 40% stock, 50% bond, and 10% cash.    Can't really adjust it any more.

I take it back. Fortune and I predicted this.

Don?t sleep at the wheel. Currently I do not see any upside in this market.

we did it boys!

6B-Dow-24-x-full.jpg

This would be hilarious if it didn't hurt some many people. 

After the key meeting between President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping, officials from Beijing are "puzzled and irritated" by the Trump administration's behavior, The Washington Post reported Tuesday, citing a former U.S. government official who has been in contact with the Chinese officials.

"You don't do this with the Chinese. You don't triumphantly proclaim all their concessions in public. It's just madness," the former official, who asked for anonymity to describe confidential discussions, told the Post.

The two world leaders met over dinner during the G-20 summit in Argentina last week. The White House said the nations had agreed to a 90-day truce on trade. Following the meeting, Trump told reporters it was "an incredible deal" and that it "goes down, certainly, if it happens, it goes down as one of the largest deals ever made."

But the Post reported that the Chinese have not acknowledged a 90-day deadline for the talks and have not said that they would "immediately" increase purchases of U.S. farm goods.

There are also "significant differences" between the two governments' versions of what was agreed upon at the dinner, according to the Post, which cited a side-by-side comparison of their post-meeting statements by Bloomberg.

In a series of tweets Tuesday, the president said he's looking to make a "fair deal" but stressed that he is "a Tariff Man" if talks do end up crumbling.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/04/china-confused-by-trumps-words-of-triumph-after-trade-truce.html

Another day in paradise!  700 point loss with dismal numbers...those 4th quarter GDP numbers are going to look interesting.

Hmm...wonder why no tweets from Trump about the stock market these days?

and of course the arrest of Huawei's CFO for violating the Iran sanction imposed by Trump may make his head explode.

The question now is if we'll even end up par to the start of 2018.

Who said with confidence that we'll end up at 27, 28 for the year?

This is your chance to make some money. Last time the Dow hit 24,400 it bounced back to 26,000 pretty quickly. Seems like it?s going to be trading in that range for a while until the China trade stuff gets figured out (or not), guess the deadline for that is the end of February.

qwerty said:
This is your chance to make some money. Last time the Dow hit 24,400 it bounced back to 26,000 pretty quickly. Seems like it?s going to be trading in that range for a while until the China trade stuff gets figured out (or not), guess the deadline for that is the end of February.

Problem is that the earnings are down...the inverted curve hurts...and oil may go below $50.  A lot of industries will get hurt.

Hey...at least the 10 year yield is down.

Irvinecommuter said:
Another day in paradise!  700 point loss with dismal numbers...those 4th quarter GDP numbers are going to look interesting.

Hmm...wonder why no tweets from Trump about the stock market these days?

and of course the arrest of Huawei's CFO for violating the Iran sanction imposed by Trump may make his head explode.

Was 17,888 on this wonderful day...now 24,533...a gain of 37%...short term, who cares..we will be just fine.

morekaos said:
eyephone said:
eyephone said:
Trump dump: Wall Street slides for 9th day in a row

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/wall-street-slides-for-ninth-straight-day/

It's not too late to change your 401k allocation. If Trump wins, expect the worse.

Update: It looks like Wall St. wants Clinton to win. The Dow ends the day up 376 points. FBI Director Comey announces it wont charge Clinton.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/wall-street-rallies-clinton-230886

Reminds me of something...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/stocks-rise-with-1-day-to-go-before-brexit-vote/

?Stocks rise with 1 day to go before Brexit vote
Britain's FTSE 100 was up 0.5 percent to 6,259 and Germany's DAX was 0.7 percent higher at 10,082. France's CAC 40 rose 0.5 percent to 4,388.

U.S. futures indicated small gains on Wall Street, with S&P 500 and Dow futures each up 0.1 percent.

Campaigners on both sides of Thursday's crucial vote on whether Britain should remain in the EU began the final frantic day of campaigning. Polls indicate it will be a tight race but bookies are giving the "remain" camp a higher probability of winning. Many voters remain undecided and bookies and investors appear to be betting that they will settle for the status quo. International experts, including Yellen, have said that a British exit would cause a lot of volatility in global markets and uncertainty for the world economy.

fortune11 said:
fortune11 said:
I have said before several times here and it has been playing out exactly like that ?

2600/2650 is your floor 

2800/2850 is your ceiling

Lot of beneath the surface rotation and violence within different sub sectors .

The only force that can change this range now is the FED

Range holding as expected ... don?t chase it here beyond 2800 though

all the carnage in credit , fixed income and closed end funds better opportunities may lie there instead

Range will still hold for now .. but this Huawei CFO arrest is a game changer .  Will lead to further escalation in trade war and could cause a breakage in the range.  Don?t recommend chasing it yet .... FED mtg next week becomes KEY now as to what language they use etc .

DEAD CAT BOUNCE from yesterday...down another 400 today.

Employment numbers are not good in a month that should see good hiring due to the holiday season.

OPEC cutting production is going to make Trump mad and push OPEC closer with Russia.  But hey...let's make the country more dependent on fossil fuels!

Weird that all these "small government anti-tax" GOPers have no problems with Trump pushing up the deficit and imposing a 10% tax on all Americans through tariffs...25% to come!

The S&P is down 6/10ths of one percent year to date.  The Dow even less!!! Cry me a river!  Apple, for all the rending of garments and wailing, is UP 3 1/4% and almost 5% with dividend.  The last thing you want is a market that only goes up every day, that is a recipe for disaster..ala 2000-2001.  This is a big boy game. If you pee in your pants at every jiggle than you need to be in diapers instead.

morekaos said:
The S&P is down 6/10ths of one percent year to date.  The Dow even less!!! Cry me a river!  Apple, for all the rending of garments and wailing, is UP 3 1/4% and almost 5% with dividend.  The last thing you want is a market that only goes up every day, that is a recipe for disaster..ala 2000-2001.  This is a big boy game. If you pee in your pants at every jiggle than you need to be in diapers instead.

No one cares about this drop...people care about what is coming up.  Stock market is supposed to be a leading indicator of the economy. 

morekaos said:

I want to hear you tell your clients the opposite then. Tell them every gain is a bad thing and that we need more declines.

I tell them nothing different from what I tell them every time the "world is ending".  Like 1987 (stock market collapse) Dow 1900, 1990 (collapse of the Savings and loan industry) Dow 2700, 1994 (last upward rate cycle) Dow 3800, 1997 (Long Term Capital collapse along with ALL the worlds currencies) Dow 6700,  2001 (Collapse of the .com and WTC attacks) Dow 10100,  2008 (collapse of the real estate market and banking system) Dow 13000, 2016 (election of Trump) Dow 17888....We will be fine.

Cares said:
morekaos said:

I want to hear you tell your clients the opposite then. Tell them every gain is a bad thing and that we need more declines.

Touch?  :)

Back