Veterans Cemetery coming to Irvine

I thought the founding supposedly coming from the state not the city.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that City of Irvine pass the ordinance to allow the cemetery to be build but did not pledge any founding.

The state approve a found for a study, a study only on building the cemetery and consider founding the cemetery depends on the outcome of the study and the state budget. 

But this also could be a polical tactic at the state level too.  Pass the found for a study to please the veterans and realistically, the state probably have no founding for building and maintaining the cemetery.  Unless the Fed writes a big check. 

For the fed to write that big check, would that make it a national level cemetery where it needs to be 75 miles away from the nearest one (not sure how far the riverside one is, but I didn't think it was 75 miles away)

lnc said:
I thought the founding supposedly coming from the state not the city.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that City of Irvine pass the ordinance to allow the cemetery to be build but did not pledge any founding.

The state approve a found for a study, a study only on building the cemetery and consider founding the cemetery depends on the outcome of the study and the state budget. 

But this also could be a polical tactic at the state level too.  Pass the found for a study to please the veterans and realistically, the state probably have no founding for building and maintaining the cemetery.  Unless the Fed writes a big check.

this is correct

What's happened, and what's next fromhttp://www.ocregister.com/articles/cemetery-664876-park-veterans.html

• Veterans met with Great Park management in 2013 to ask for land at the former base to be set aside for a state veterans cemetery.
  • At the start of 2014, then-Assemblywoman Sharon Quirk-Silva, D-Fullerton, introduced Assembly Bill 1543, which would give $500,000 for CalVet, the state's Veterans Affairs Department, to do preliminary design work on a cemetery plan.
  • In July of that year, the Irvine City Council agreed to set aside up to 125 acres at the Great Park.
  • Gov. Jerry Brown signed AB1543 in September 2014. The next month, he made a surprise stop in Irvine to tour the site.
  • In January, representatives from CalVet and the Department of General Services visited the land, starting the evaluation process.
  • CalVet plans to submit a request for federal Cemetery Grants Program funds to design, develop, construct and equip the cemetery by July 2016
  • If funds are granted, the earliest development could practically begin would be 2018. Irvine has agreed not to develop the site with certain uses, including cemeteries, until Dec. 27, 2017.

irvinehomeshopper said:
  .....many homes are being sold the Chinese population opposition will continue to soar. Every two years Politicians need votes therefore people will have a voice. I predict it will go away eventually.

To vote - legally, at least - you must be a citizen. Irvine is very happy to collect property taxes on $1M homes that are not occupied by voters.

Remember that these are all 'poltergeist' residences built on aboriginal graves. Faux Feng Shui.

Our Gang said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
  .....many homes are being sold the Chinese population opposition will continue to soar. Every two years Politicians need votes therefore people will have a voice. I predict it will go away eventually.

To vote - legally, at least - you must be a citizen. Irvine is very happy to collect property taxes on $1M homes that are not occupied by voters.

Remember that these are all 'poltergeist' residences built on aboriginal graves. Faux Feng Shui.

urrrrrrrrrr durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Our Gang said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

What are you trying to say?

I think everybody knows that you have to be a citizen to vote.

That's like saying you have to qualify in order to buy the house.

There is no money to build this cemetery. The funding will be on the ballot. Irvine voter will not want to bear the extra cost. It's a noble proposal without realistic a financial plan.

eyephone said:
Our Gang said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

I think everybody knows that you have to be a citizen to vote.

That's like saying you have to qualify in order to buy the house.

Apples and Oranges

Anyone can buy a house. Irvine houses can be bought in Beijing, as we all know. Plop down the cash at the FP store and you are an Irvine homeowner, and taxpayer.

Apparently everyone does not know that buying a house does not include voting rights. FP can not sell you citizenship. Check your T&C's (homework!)

Birth tourist babies get voting rights, why it's a big shady business in Irvine.

Born here? Or there? Are you a USA citizen? Or still a PRC green card? 

Faux Feng Shui

These threads are all great entertainment.  I know I'm late to post but I had to make a comment.  Foreign-born homeowners/ residents want to protest a U.S. Veteran Cemetary that honors Americans that have fought for the freedoms we all get to enjoy in this country; shouldn't this be reported to Citizenship and Immigration Services? automatic greencard or citizenship revocation!!
I especially like the comments that read "who would want their kids going to school right next to this cemetary?"
You know who, I would.  What better education and reminder of what the US is all about than a veteran's memorial next to your child's highschool. Screw IQ, up your EQ!

Newbie13 said:
These threads are all great entertainment.  I know I'm late to post but I had to make a comment.  Foreign-born homeowners/ residents want to protest a U.S. Veteran Cemetary that honors Americans that have fought for the freedoms we all get to enjoy in this country; shouldn't this be reported to Citizenship and Immigration Services? automatic greencard or citizenship revocation!!
I especially like the comments that read "who would want their kids going to school right next to this cemetary?"
You know who, I would.  What better education and reminder of what the US is all about than a veteran's memorial next to your child's highschool. Screw IQ, up your EQ!

So the freedoms we all get to enjoy in this country don't include the freedom to protest? 

You pretty much can do whatever you want in the U.S. with all the rights we are given, obviously we all know that.  But while an action may be legal, it doesn't mean that it's unpatriotic.  That is all I am trying to say.  The former base is a symbol for the veterans who are trying to create a memorial in the space.  I totally understand why some people of some cultures are put off by this idea but the point is we're in the US.  For those people who moved from another country trying to give their kids an Irvine education, guess what your kid is more likely to think like me than you so dont worry for the future.  :)   

Chinese immigrants all want to become an American citizen not because of patriotism but for the convenience of traveling. Veterans are at the bottom of the priority and cemetery is also at the bottom. Both combined is hell no!

Any update on getting funded for the cemetery?  Last time I heard they were having trouble funding this project...

Back