Veterans Cemetery coming to Irvine

Is this the area near Alton and Barranca or the area off the 133 (on the right side heading north before Irvine Blvd)?

aquabliss said:
Is this the area near Alton and Barranca or the area off the 133 (on the right side heading north before Irvine Blvd)?

They don't exactly specify in the article.  It seems like it would be even further south than what you are thinking - like the southernmost pink area on the map below:http://www.ocregister.com/articles/park-371348-homes-great.html?graphics

I'm only guessing because the article says it would be visible from both the 5 and 405 freeways.  The veterans are happy because of the greater visibility - See our cemetery, welcome to Irvine!

I don't know if TIC would go for that.  Having a cemetery as a major entry point into the City doesn't necessarily project an image the Irvine Company has worked so carefully to cultivate with its Master Plan.

WTTCHMN said:
No such work would be needed at the land to the south of the Great Park because it has only been used for agriculture, Shea said.

?There?s never been any development on it so there?s no issue of clean up like you?ve seen at many areas at the park,? she said.

Just reading between the lines, but does that mean that homes will be built on the cemetery site? And what do they mean by clean up? Toxic soil? Sounds like the land to the south is better suited for homes with non toxic soil.

Irvine Fanatic said:
WTTCHMN said:
No such work would be needed at the land to the south of the Great Park because it has only been used for agriculture, Shea said.

?There?s never been any development on it so there?s no issue of clean up like you?ve seen at many areas at the park,? she said.

Just reading between the lines, but does that mean that homes will be built on the cemetery site? And what do they mean by clean up? Toxic soil? Sounds like the land to the south is better suited for homes with non toxic soil.

It may be non-toxic but if it's near the El Toro Y, the air pollution from the freeways would be much worse for any potential homeowner.

Another prediction came true. I hinted that Ellwood will not be near the Cemetery. Those who bought Ellwood is now rewarded greatly. Ellwood was priced lower because of the cemetery.

WTTCHMN said:
"The cemetery would be constructed in 10 phases over 100 years".
Good God, construction will last 100 years?  At least it'll be done before Portola Springs ever gets completed.
?No picnics, no bike paths or joggers,? he said. ?Proper and respectful.?
So much for momopi's dream of picnicking between the tombstones.  I guess that means no fishing or deer hunting either.

Ah, but there are more edibles than fish and deer.  When Hemingway lived in Paris, he would visit Jardin du Luxembourg park near closing time and hang around the Medlci Fountain.  When nobody was looking he would catch pigeons by hand and hide it under the baby carriage to take home for dinner.

22537635610_f40feee6a4.jpg

Roasted+squab+Photograoh+Dreamstime++++++dreamstime_s_12987265.jpg

Larry Bales, a Vietnam War veteran who lives in Tustin and last year got involved with the Orange County Veterans Memorial Park Foundation, said the switch could end up delaying the cemetery?s construction.

?We?d have to do this whole thing completely over,? he said. ?We?ve spent almost $500,000 to get this first parcel cleared and find out what we can do with it. We don?t have another $500,000.?

An update from CalVet this month on the status of the feasibility study said evaluating another piece of property at this stage would require the agency to redo its efforts.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/park-711703-veterans-cemetery.html

WTTCHMN said:
?We?d have to do this whole thing completely over,? he said. ?We?ve spent almost $500,000 to get this first parcel cleared and find out what we can do with it. We don?t have another $500,000.?
I'm sure yaliu and his cabal will pick up the tab. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
WTTCHMN said:

You mean the dot?

irvinehomeowner said:
WTTCHMN said:

That's pennies when Great Park homeowners are paying double mello roos compounding annually at 2%!

Perspective said:
irvinehomeowner said:
WTTCHMN said:

That's pennies when Great Park homeowners are paying double mello roos compounding annually at 2%!

I say outsource the services like the city of Costa Mesa.

Life of American Veterans:

*  Struggle to put their lives on the line for our country
*  Struggle for below inflation pay raise
*  Struggle to keep pay and benefits
*  Struggle to keep benefits for family
*  Struggle to obtain healthcare from VA Hospital
*  Struggle to vote for someone who doesn't disrespect or only pay lip service to Veterans
*  Struggle to find employment after active duty
*  Struggle with metal health care and suicides
*  Struggle for a burial plot

color-vets-serve-sacrif-web.jpg

momopi said:
Life of American Veterans:

*  Struggle to put their lives on the line for our country
*  Struggle for below inflation pay raise
*  Struggle to keep pay and benefits
*  Struggle to keep benefits for family
*  Struggle to obtain healthcare from VA Hospital
*  Struggle to vote for someone who doesn't disrespect or only pay lip service to Veterans
*  Struggle to find employment after active duty
*  Struggle with metal health care and suicides
*  Struggle for a burial plot

color-vets-serve-sacrif-web.jpg

you forgot to mention treated like second class citizens.

It'll be just south of Broadcom. The view entering Irvine will be of a cemetery. Thoughts on the chances of this happening or staying at the original location?

I think there should be a Veteran's cemetery in Irvine, but the location seems odd. I also wonder what Broadcom's thoughts are about this too. They're going to have 8,000 employees moving in to their new main offices, with many religious backgrounds, with a view of a cemetery, while working in high tech.

Back