thoughts on a new irvine home stonegate orchard hills

OCgasman said:
Mandy's post reaffirms the fallacy of asking for opinions on an anonymous bulletin board.  Everyone will defend their decision because it's human nature to become defensive on a big purchase because nobody wants to have buyers remorse.  (I'm not saying your post is defensive Mandy, just making a generalization.)

Also, this comparison is all conjecture and based on a bunch of assumptions since nobody is currently living in OH.  Sales are only into phase 2 of most developments in OH and demand is still high because of early adopters, novelty and buyers that have been waiting for OH to open for years.

There are no experts here on talkirvine.  We're just a bunch of talking heads behind computer screens that are giving our opinion based on our own personal preferences.  None of us can predict the future and none of us know what will happen to home values in the future. 

Pick a house and location that works for your family and budget.  That is all.  Everything else is fluff.

Of course. Good to hear from a bunch of the anonymous with a common interest (Irvine RE) though.  I can't trade my house with any others cuz we can walk to a great school for the next 10 years.  So can you from Sausalito!  :)  You Irvine parent will burn any $$ for your kids.

West Irvine was intended as a value village and 2 decades later it is still a value village. Lewis and Fieldstone built similar large boxes with good size yards. Some with 2-1/2 car wide garage. These homes are large and have smaller turn over. Stonegate is a value village and the products do not accommodate family growth. The transient nature could affect future neighborhood morale.

irvinehomeshopper said:
West Irvine was intended as a value village and 2 decades later it is still a value village. Lewis and Fieldstone built similar large boxes with good size yards. Some with 2-1/2 car wide garage. These homes are large and have smaller turn over. Stonegate is a value village and the products do not accommodate family growth. The transient nature could affect future neighborhood morale.
SG was a value village in retrospect. Not at the time. And more so not anymore.  What accommodates family growth if having townhomes to 3500sq+ single homes doesn't? Its sales driving force, the school will hold the home values high up for a long while.  We're very excited for the new principal who used to teach at Turtle Rock elem. 

Just be real we all know that Stonegate is the entry level village. Irvine residents associate pecking order. Which schools are better, higher API scores, higher resale value and keeping up with the joneses. We all look down on Stonegate this is just human nature. Kids compare and even more so with adults. Soon you will succumb to the pressure of Chinese parents buying gifts for the local teachers.

Mandy said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
SG was a value village in retrospect. Not at the time. And more so not anymore.  What accommodates family growth if having townhomes to 3500sq+ single homes? Its sales driving force, the school will hold the home values high up for a long while.  We're very excited for the new principal who used to teach at Turtle Rock elem. 

soon enough SG elementary will be forgotten. cypress village's elementary will be the rock star then the portola springs elementary will also overtake it. then you will be stuck in a second tier, high density, all motorcourt village right next to the dump. good luck with resale.

SG = Irvine Commuter's ideal area where curb appeal or lot size doesn't matter.

jmoney74 said:
SG = Irvine Commuter's ideal area where curb appeal or lot size doesn't matter.

Honestly, you'll get your appreciation as long as you're in Irvine.  Case in point, San Mateo resales are being listed at 850K+.  Several San Marcos resale have closed at over 900K.  That's already 30%+ appreciation in 2~3 years.  In this case, curb appeal and lot size truly doesn't matter to whoever is buying these resales.

OCgasman said:
Mandy's post reaffirms the fallacy of asking for opinions on an anonymous bulletin board.  Everyone will defend their decision because it's human nature to become defensive on a big purchase because nobody wants to have buyers remorse.  (I'm not saying your post is defensive Mandy, just making a generalization.)

Also, this comparison is all conjecture and based on a bunch of assumptions since nobody is currently living in OH.  Sales are only into phase 2 of most developments in OH and demand is still high because of early adopters, novelty and buyers that have been waiting for OH to open for years.

There are no experts here on talkirvine.  We're just a bunch of talking heads behind computer screens that are giving our opinion based on our own personal preferences.  None of us can predict the future and none of us know what will happen to home values in the future. 

Pick a house and location that works for your family and budget.  That is all.  Everything else is fluff.
I'm not a real estate expert but I did stay at the Holiday Inn.  :p  Listen to the gasman, pick what works the best for you in terms of needs and budget.

No need to defend my hood against bitter/angry peeps here because neither do they live in SG or can buy in OH. "We all know..." You mean your family or you all in this board? Who are you exactly referring to? OH is a very nice community. But nobody knows whether it's going to succeed or fail as no one knows what the real estate market is going to be in 2-3 yrs. Love the earlier point in this thread that this is just babbling of a bunch of the anonymous.  Those lurking or newbies, please don't think people who post here on a daily basis are experts in Irvine or in RE market. None of these TI talkers foresaw the Irvine market making a turn upward and jump high so quickly just like the rest of us.  (I counted on you for my RE tips. How could you not?!) What neighborhood doesn't have an entry level house in Irvine? SG elementary has been around since it was Westwood which was an excellent school. Being #1 best elem school in OC Register or a National Blue Ribbon is not what SG elementary school is all about.  I hunted down for the best elementary possible to buy a house near which is not on toxic land or next to freeways, not just for APIs and academics, but for PTA, music/art curriculum, teachers and etc. Can't really help the diversity wherever you go in Irvine.  Density is not an issue here more than any other villages in Irvine. Within Irvine, I'm happy with my choice. Resale values have been exceeding my expectations. Overpriced new homes are even helping the resales at SG. So do not worry. Just worry about very scarce homes for sale or apts to rent here. And please do not trash talk about FCBs. They are the ones helping your equity grow on your house now. Keep'em comin. (I'm not Chinese.)

Thanks for your thoughts Mandy.  It's true no one can predict what is going to happen with the market.  I remember lots of condescending posts on here and IHB about how sellers in irvine overpriced and overvalued  their homes and shadow inventory was going to tank the market...but it never did, and now prices are up 30% from 2 yrs ago.

I appreciate your thoughts on stonegate and will take it into consideration.  Capella would be a downgrade for me from my current home, not sure I'm willing to do that.

Funny how sub $1m is considered "value village"... only in Irvine.

I thought Cypress Village was the valuvlg?

<runs from test>

Guys,

I know we're just giving our opinions in this thread, but some posts directed at Mandy and Stonegate seem a bit harsh in tone.  I think some of you can make the same sentiments without the outright vitriol.

Stonegate was the first community where TIC said.. hey it's the recession.. let's save some money and give everyone the same roof and recycle all of the paint/looks to save money.  It worked.. so they decided to not mess up a winning formula.  Very smart.

It is just human nature to trash talk other hoods that are not their own. Qwerty, the self-claimed biggest dick on Talk Irvine, bought a driveway less home on toxic soil in Tustin. Just look at the official disclaimer from my signature. I will not live in Augusta even it is free.
JMoney bought in Pavilion Park but just look at this documentary "Pay Dirt" and it gives me chills.http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php?topic=3716.0
Lennar is known for buying former industrial or military lands for cheap and redeveloping them into residential areas. PP might be on the safer side of the airbase but Lennar as the developer scares me away.

I do agree that SG is a value village and for the same price, I would buy a smaller home in gated side of OH because it will be among the top 5 most desired villages in Irvine: Shady, the Turtles, Quail Hill and OH. NWP and LA would finish the top 7.

OCgasman said:
Guys,

I know we're just giving our opinions in this thread, but some posts directed at Mandy and Stonegate seem a bit harsh in tone.  I think some of you can make the same sentiments without the outright vitriol.

Dethman - What is little "more" important to you?  Appreciation, aesthetic/luxury, or the convenience later for your 1 year old toddler? For the Investment/Appreciation Potential, Luxury, and Exclusiveness, I believe OH is definitely better due to exclusive gated feel of OH.  However, for a convenience of raising a one year old, SG community is way better due to walking proximity to SG Elementary and parks near by (JOST and future 70 acres Gateway Park, and 7 pocket parks adjacent to the SG with great playgrounds).  Also, you have pre-school near by (great foundation Montessori, etc.).  Imagine picking up and dropping off your kid by Car everyday for 10-15 years. No thanks for me.

You will also see a lot more toddlers and kids playing in SG community then OH where your kid can meet friends and safely run around in the parks - great to see so many kids playing together in the playgrounds instead of infront of computers.  OH home will also cost you more to maintain for the next 10-15 years (i.e. higher property taxes, Mello-Roos, HOA, etc.).

For us, we decided on the latter as we have a 9 month toddler and we really don't care that much about investment potential of a home.  We consider a primary home as not an investment but cost of living although I don't mind the appreciation=).  We plan to move-up later to 3,200 sqft+ after our kid graduates from SG elementary and move to a neighborhood that is closer to good middle and high school (which ever is good at that future time).  This will be in about 10 years and then probably retire at a smaller home with an ocean view after he goes to college.

As for Value Village, all new TIC villages are Value Village by some of the bloggers' definition (sub low $1 million) = Cypress Village, Non-gated OH, SG, most likely North Paseo, etc.  In my opinion, Sausalito in SG will retain its value and it will also appreciate based on overall trend of Irvine RE market. 

At end of the day, it's your personal preference.  So for investment/appreciation/luxury = Definitely go with OH;  for your toddler and convenience = SG.

The California Court Company said:
It is just human nature to trash talk other hoods that are not their own. Qwerty, the self-claimed biggest dick on Talk Irvine, bought a driveway less home on toxic soil in Tustin. Just look at the official disclaimer from my signature. I will not live in Augusta even it is free.
JMoney bought in Pavilion Park but just look at this documentary "Pay Dirt" and it gives me chills.http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php?topic=3716.0
Lennar is known for buying former industrial or military lands for cheap and redeveloping them into residential areas. PP might be on the safer side of the airbase but Lennar as the developer scares me away.

I do agree that SG is a value village and for the same price, I would buy a smaller home in gated side of OH because it will be among the top 5 most desired villages in Irvine: Shady, the Turtles, Quail Hill and OH. NWP and LA would finish the top 7.

OCgasman said:
Guys,

BUT BUT BUT.. THEY SAID THEY ARE A GREAT BUILDER!  ;)

Back