The Oaks at Portola Hills

eclipxe said:
aquabliss said:
This article says there will be low income housing in the same gated community.
http://patch.com/california/lakeforest-ca/portola-hills-workshop

#dealbreaker

That article is 3 years old

This article (editorial?) from earlier this year says the same thing. Looks like Brookfield paid their way out of building affordable units while baker ranch and portola hills did not?
http://patch.com/california/lakeforest-ca/affordable-housing-can-be-expensive-part-1

One story home as new construction is amazing. Residence will probably not have Mello Roos because SVUSD just charges the builders up front. Students will attend the highest ranked high school in the district according to the recent Common Core results in Trabuco Hills, which offers a health science small learning community. Not bad! It may not be IUSD, but SVUSD was the only other district to be recognized for its performance on Common Core testing in Orange County by the Register.

Kangen.Irvine said:
One story home as new construction is amazing. Residence will probably not have Mello Roos because SVUSD just charges the builders up front. Students will attend the highest ranked high school in the district according to the recent Common Core results in Trabuco Hills, which offers a health science small learning community. Not bad! It may not be IUSD, but SVUSD was the only other district to be recognized for its performance on Common Core testing in Orange County by the Register.

Link? I would be surprised if those kids will go to Trabuco Hills because Portola Hills kids are already assigned to El Toro High School.

I spoke with a sales rep today. Here are my notes:

* Models will open Spring 2016

* No, Mello-Roos / CFD tax is not anticipated.

* Schools: Portola Hills Elementary, Serrano Intermediate, and El Toro High School

* Lot sizes for Phase I to be 6,000 - 7,000 sqft.

* There is no broker co-op offered at this time. However, if you want to register, it would be sufficient to staple your agent's business card to the paperwork in case they offer it in the future.

* Oddly, it didn't occur to me to ask about price. Next time.

That Patch article was from 2012.

The location is great. Close to 241, Santiago Canyon, Irvine Blvd. Far enough away from the prison, close however to Cooks Corner so I'm sure there will be some Harley noise on the weekend. The views should be outstanding. You could walk to Oakley, although the walk back would be tough given how steep the hill is.

Baldwin completely screwed the pooch on the original Portola Hills development. Great potential, wretched customer service (this from a neighbor who owned in PH, but eventually sold and moved to RSM) That was a loooonngg time ago though. Hope they've learned a bit more so that this go round goes better than their earlier efforts did. They've been building in the San Diego area for a bit. Would be interesting to see what went on in their non-OC ventures in terms of build quality.

My .02c

Info on affordable housing.

The community will have a total of 75 affordable housing with the following breakdown:

- The 81 SFH in Northwest (The Oaks) will have between 4-8 Second Units Affordable Housing.  These are ?Granny Flat? attached to the single family home, maximum of 640 SF, that the primary owner can occupy or ?rent? to income restricted occupant at affordable rate

- The 223 SFH in Northeast will have between 10-14 Second Units Affordable Housing

Total for Second Units in NW and NW = 18

- Portola Hills South will have 313 SFH, 256 mixed housing, 25 attached very low income senior housing, 32 attached low income housing

Soylent Green Is People said:

The location is great. Close to 241, Santiago Canyon, Irvine Blvd. Far enough away from the prison, close however to Cooks Corner so I'm sure there will be some Harley noise on the weekend. The views should be outstanding. You could walk to Oakley, although the walk back would be tough given how steep the hill is.

Baldwin completely screwed the pooch on the original Portola Hills development. Great potential, crappy build quality, wretched customer service (this from a neighbor who owned in PH, but eventually sold and moved to RSM) That was a loooonngg time ago though. Hope they've learned a bit more so that this go round goes better than their earlier efforts did.

My .02c

We had the same experience with our house in Otay Ranch.  Baldwin did a really great job with the master plan development but the quality of the home itself was subpar. 

Soylent Green Is People said:

Baldwin completely screwed the pooch on the original Portola Hills development. Great potential, crappy build quality, wretched customer service (this from a neighbor who owned in PH, but eventually sold and moved to RSM) That was a loooonngg time ago though. Hope they've learned a bit more so that this go round goes better than their earlier efforts did.

My .02c
Worst part of the project is Baldwin. They have a notoriously horrid reputation as a builder. 

Thanks for the update on the Affordable Housing data. How close to "real time" is this? Any links you can post would sure make for an interesting read - time permitting. 

I don't understand how this granny flat rental attached to a SFR works. Has there been another development like it for reference? (Other than Fonzie's pad on "Happy Days".) Something local? The closest thing I can think of, with strings attached, are those homes in Ladera Ranch built like a decade ago where it's a residential unit upstairs with a storefront downstairs.

In case anyone else was wondering what that unlabeled room to the right of the butler's pantry in Residence 5 is, I asked the rep when I called a few days ago and she said it's a bar area. 

Annnnd this is attempt #112 to post this. I keep getting Error 403.

Back