The New IHOmobile

IHO,

Time for a new minivan?

Toyota just announced their 2021 Sienna which will ONLY come in hybrid models. AWD will be an option on all trims and estimated combined EPA of 33 mpg.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2021-toyota-sienna-hybrid-minivan-details/

Comparison between Pacifica, Odyssey, and Sienna:https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/...s-chrysler-pacifica-honda-odyssey-comparison/

2021-toyota-sienna-hybrid-minivan-115.jpg

Yep. Saw that the other day.

But they are behind... it should be a *plug-in* hybrid like the Pacifica.

But alas... I think I'm over my minivan phase. Kids are older... I'm older... I want to go full electric for my next vehicle and that means either the Tesla Y or the Cybertruck.

Not gonna lie... was very close to pulling the plug on the '21 Toyota Sienna... but the cost of the one I wanted was higher than a Tesla Y... or some other pure EVs I'm looking at.

So it's still EV or CyberTruck.

The 2022 Kia Sedona/Carnival looks like an SUV but functions like a van with a sliding rear door.  Pretty clever the way they designed it.  But ya, you?d be a much cooler dad in a Cybertruck.

irvinehomeowner said:
Not gonna lie... was very close to pulling the plug on the '21 Toyota Sienna... but the cost of the one I wanted was higher than a Tesla Y... or some other pure EVs I'm looking at.

May be the last year for the Odyssey.  Already have the full EV for the commuting in town running car, but 250 mile limitation nerfs it for going anywhere out. 

I've seen the lines on Holiday and summer weekends in Blythe for the Tesla chargers, that's a no thank you at the moment too.  The Lone Pine stop on 395 is equally busy.  I've read plenty of trip reports were its clear if you arrive wrong, you're waiting 30-50 minutes before you can get to a charger and then charge 30-50 minutes.

Its getting close but still sounding a bit annoying charging on the road trip.

nosuchreality said:
irvinehomeowner said:

May be the last year for the Odyssey.  Already have the full EV for the commuting in town running car, but 250 mile limitation nerfs it for going anywhere out. 

I've seen the lines on Holiday and summer weekends in Blythe for the Tesla chargers, that's a no thank you at the moment too.  The Lone Pine stop on 395 is equally busy.  I've read plenty of trip reports were its clear if you arrive wrong, you're waiting 30-50 minutes before you can get to a charger and then charge 30-50 minutes.

For those with no gas cars, just rent one for longer road trips. 

akkord said:
nosuchreality said:
irvinehomeowner said:

For those with no gas cars, just rent one for longer road trips. 

We will run out this year yet as we already know our work arrangements thru the fall continuing work from home.  So really no need for a 2nd car and the odyssey replacement is purely a road trip vehicle.

I've crunched the numbers for renting previously, it's better than depreciation, but compares to owning slightly older quickly.

Plus having road warriored it before, the number of times I've gotten a vehicle with issues is surpisingly high.  Annoying semi dangerous stuff stuff like the alignment being badly whacked, tire out of balance that starts at 70 mph, steering wheel play, etc.

Now I'm looking for a larger SUV... but want a full EV.

Only one that's close is the Rivian R1S but expensive and probably 2 years out.

Volvo's EX90 is coming out but will also be high priced.

Waiting to see what 2023 brings.

You’re fighting the laws of physics with that big of a vehicle relative to the battery - a clear case for ICE superiority

I put $1k down reservation for R1S a year ago but still have not received EDD. My guess is at least 2 years away.

If you

If you can wait till 2024, the Kia EV7 and Volkswagen ID Buzz should both be available.

Or the Ioniq7.

You’re fighting the laws of physics with that big of a vehicle relative to the battery - a clear case for ICE superiority

Larger EV SUVs are not conceptual, the Model X has been out for several years and the R1S has been hitting the streets for a month or so.

Also the F-150 Lightning can be considered large SUV class... and the Hummer EV is arguably the biggest EV out right now.

dealers will probably mark it up by $10k removing the value in the car.

It’s not a bad looking car, it will probably sell very well given its practicality.

@iho - looking forward to being the first TI’er to get a ride in the new car :)

Debating non-Tesla EVs is like looking for the attractive girl at a work gathering when you’re young and single - foolish at best these days

Debating non-Tesla EVs is like looking for the attractive girl at a work gathering when you’re young and single - foolish at best these days
Buying a Tesla EV is like randomly picking a girl in Wisconsin with your eyes closed. Chance of getting an obese/fat one is 99% 😀.

iPhone vs Android debate.

Our experience with non-Tesla EVs have been much better and we don’t miss ours other than the Phone As A Key feature.

Teslas are getting a bit long in the tooth and while the Highland/new 3 is better… they are still behind in some standard vehicle features (360 cam, cross traffic detection, active blind spot monitors).

At $55k, the EV9 should be a better large 3-row SUV experience than the $80k Model X.

And next year… almost everybody will be able to use Superchargers.

dealers will probably mark it up by $10k removing the value in the car.

It’s not a bad looking car, it will probably sell very well given its practicality.

@iho - looking forward to being the first TI’er to get a ride in the new car :)
This will sell like hotcakes. Given the price, utility and reputable brand

Buying a Tesla EV is like randomly picking a girl in Wisconsin with your eyes closed. Chance of getting an obese/fat one is 99% 😀.
I have no clue what allegory you're attempting but FYI my kid goes to a B10 school in that area and you would be very shocked at the depth of talent - lots of Nordic looking gals in very good shape - I would say as good as any school I've been to in CA, maybe even better these days given the huge DEI driven admissions across CA universities and the pervasive neuroses afflicting the young in our lovely economocially polarized state. The 3 story fitness center is usually packed.

Back