The New IHOmobile

I've seen a few Pacificas around Irvine... looks nice.

I really wasn't too impressed checking it out at the Irvine Auto Center, I think the Sienna and Odyssey have more storage areas but as I said previously, it's the plug-in hybrid aspect that will have me getting one this fall.

Honda is supposed to be updating the 2017 Odyssey also this fall but the new Sienna won't hit until next year and I can't wait that long.

I know ps9 doesn't recommend Chrysler but I've been wanting to get a EV for a while now and I think this checks all the boxes for EV for short commutes, hybrid for longer drives and IHO-sized minivan.

There were issues with the 2017 PHEV so I waited until the 2018s came out, which just happened a few weeks ago.

I test drove it and the difference between the electric/hybrid and gas engine is remarkable. Very quiet, great pick-up and best of all, less gas usage.

As for the sudden shutoff, it seems to be an electrical issue with the gas versions... although the hybrid also had its own issues.

Anyone looking at the Honda Clarity PHEV? Basically an Accord plug-in hybrid.

Don't know why there isn't plug-in hybrid SUV with electric miles over 25.

irvinehomeowner said:
Very quiet, great pick-up

Very important for sneaking up on people to run them over. A solid weapon of choice.

I'm thinking of The Office episode where Dwight and Andy duel over Angela. Andy's defense is driving his silent Prius under 5 mph, sneaking up on Dwight and pinning him to the fence.

Latest Candidates:

Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
Mistubishi Outlander PHEV (but only 25 mile electric)
Volvo XC90 (only 14 mile electric)

The Pacifica is still the leader because of the 33 mile range... but I hear good things about the Outlander.

Honda has the Clarity PHEV with 47 mile range but it's a 4-door sedan.

Still waiting for Toyota to up their bigger PHEV game.

irvinehomeowner said:
Latest Candidates:

Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
Mistubishi Outlander PHEV (but only 25 mile electric)
Volvo XC90 (only 14 mile electric)

The Pacifica is still the leader because of the 33 mile range... but I hear good things about the Outlander.

Honda has the Clarity PHEV with 47 mile range but it's a 4-door sedan.

Still waiting for Toyota to up their bigger PHEV game.

Pacifica will definitely be the most functional. I also like how it looks for a minivan .

I rode in one recently (w fellow parents in kids school ) ? the fit and finish seemed way above what I thought it would be . I was really impressed . The only complain was that seats don?t fold flat compared to the regular Pacifica ? I dot know how useful that part is .

In five years, I've removed my seats in my Honda, once. 

I remember looking when I was buying and thinking the fold flat would really nice, then sat on them and realized they felt like a park bench.  In five years basically a non-issue.

Yep, in all the minivans I've owned, I've only removed the 2nd row seats once. Usually folding them forward is enough space to move bigger items like furniture.

If you tend to move many things (like plywood) than fold flat 2nd row is useful, but the utility of the PHEV is more valuable to me.

I just find it weird that of all companies, Chrysler/FCA is the only one with a longer range large vehicle PHEV.

Whats the PHEV utility?  I get it if your daily shuttle service is under the ev range.

We just picked up a Bolt for our 2nd car replacement i did a focus group a few years back on EV enhanced. The group was very negative on the pay more up front for a tiny savings over years.

The daily drive around is under the EV range so that also means less going to the gas station.

And remember, I lease, so the "pay more" is essentially the same for similarly equipped vehicles... even if I buy, the tax incentives makes up for the difference in price with the gas version of a similar vehicle.

Also, in my test drives, EV driving is much more quieter, better pickup and less "hot" (although not sure how hot it doesn't get as test drives are short). I'll be able to speak to this more once I get one.

irvinehomeowner said:
The daily drive around is under the EV range so that also means less going to the gas station.

And remember, I lease, so the "pay more" is essentially the same for similarly equipped vehicles... even if I buy, the tax incentives makes up for the difference in price with the gas version of a similar vehicle.

Also, in my test drives, EV driving is much more quieter, better pickup and less "hot" (although not sure how hot it doesn't get as test drives are short). I'll be able to speak to this more once I get one.

How competitive was your lease?  I've shopped around for the 2017 phev and the lease rates weren't that great.

Leases are horrible on the Pacifica PHEV right now. They don't have any that pass down the $7500 Fed credit so they are more expensive than leases on similar gas models.

Right now, for the Pacifica PHEV, the best value is to *buy* because the credits put you at about the same amount (or lower) to get a gas minivan with the same tech and whistles. I think you can get the top of the line Pacifica Limited PHEV for about $45k, take away Fed and Cali credits and you're looking at $36k. A Toyota Sienna XLE/Limited/Premium (which would be the only gas minivan I would buy) runs over $40k even with discounts.

But I would lease that Toyota and not buy it.

irvinehomeowner said:
Leases are horrible on the Pacifica PHEV right now. They don't have any that pass down the $7500 Fed credit so they are more expensive than leases on similar gas models.

Right now, for the Pacifica PHEV, the best value is to *buy* because the credits put you at about the same amount (or lower) to get a gas minivan with the same tech and whistles. I think you can get the top of the line Pacifica Limited PHEV for about $45k, take away Fed and Cali credits and you're looking at $36k. A Toyota Sienna XLE/Limited/Premium (which would be the only gas minivan I would buy) runs over $40k even with discounts.

But I would lease that Toyota and not buy it.

Thanks for the info.  I'm surprised they don't pass the fed tax credit as a cap cost reduction.  I did that with my current EV, which made my lease nearly free (to me) after california rebate and sce rebate.  Most lease negotiations lead to cap cost reduction EVs... Weird chrysler wouldn't do that.

rkp said:
Weird their site literally says lease will pass the fed credit down:
https://www.chrysler.com/content/da...-Plug-In-Electric-Drive-Vehicle-Credit-FS.pdf

Description of Incentive: Internal Revenue Code Section 30D provides an income tax credit of $7,500
for the purchase or lease of the Pacifica Hybrid. For vehicles acquired for personal use, report the credit
from Form 8936 on the appropriate line of the Form 1040.

The credit goes to the owner of the lease, which would be Chrysler or whoever you leased with.

You can check the forums on EV vehicles, some leasing companies pass on the savings in a reduced money factor or cap reduction. I haven?t found one for the Pacifica yet.

So weird.  We leased Fiat 500E which is chrysler and the rebate check came straight to us.

rkp said:
So weird.  We leased Fiat 500E which is chrysler and the rebate check came straight to us.

Is that the Cali rebate? That goes to the buyer or the leasee.

But the Fed is a credit that reduces your taxes owed... no rebate check.

Back