The Meadows, Lake Forest by Toll Brothers

CalBears96 said:
Mety said:
Living in Irvine is not just about ROI. You can get great ROI anywhere now to be honest. Irvine has advantage of its good location. Easy excess to main freeways, malls, plazas, and essential things you need is what this city offers better than other OC areas. At the same time it has clean, safe, organized designs masterfully planed environment instead of having some homes here and there randomly. Parks and playgrounds for kids are superior compare to other cities as well. There are almost too many choices.

Now while Irvine has a better advantage of its location, I don?t like its location at the same time. It?s very hot and dry. Newer homes are even worse. But so are other OC cities. Unless you live near the coast, most OC areas are having very desert-like weathers all throughout the year which some people might like, but I personally don?t.

So then why not just live in Newport? Besides it being too expensive, not everyone loves living in a city with mostly 65+ years old elders. It?s a great retirement community. ;D

I'm moving to Irvine from Eastvale, so "very hot and dry" doesn't apply.  ;D

Happy for you. You'll love it here.

I always like these OC other real estate thread becoming a XYZ vs Irvine thread eventually but then again it's TI.

Anyways update on our lot. (We are moving from Orchard Hills to Meadows). I mentioned elsewhere but we are moving away form Irvine public schools and will enroll our kids at private so the school advantage was moot for us. I think IUSD schools are good and there are a lot of pros/cons but that's probably best for a different thread.

The latest Orchard Hill closest comparable just closed for 2.35 mil. It's just a wee bit smaller than our home and a much smaller lot (1,100 sq ft smaller) vs ours so it'll be interesting to see how much we can get for ours when it comes time to sell. Hopefully market is still decent for sellers by then.

Fwiw since we were close to phase one with our Evergreen home, there's already a 200k increase in pricing/equity and not one home has even been delivered yet. Kinda wack.

We went thru the design studio process and put deposit down for upgrades already. It seems typical spend is around 60k to as high as 200k+, really depends on what you're willing to do with builder vs outside vendor.

The bigger cost for us would be the kitchen which ran to about +35k or some such for better cabinets and all the works. I was interested in waterfall countertop but it basically 2.5x the island cost so I moved on. Another big item was cable rail stairs systems, which is cheap when compared to Toll's full iron wrought systems.

Other bigger items were pre chosen on the lot already (multi panel sliding door in great room), solar panels (4.2 kWh system seems to be the standard).

They seem to think a late Summer delivery is attainable for phase one and two homes but we will see. No doubt anyone driving by on the 241 have seen the homes finally going up.

The on site sale center is packed 24/7 and demand is incredibly high. Toll is in a great position to squeeze as much as they can out of this community given how the market is currently. There's a strong fomo to buy before rate hikes are in full - though we're already seeing rates going up now.

When it's all said and done hopefully we stay here long enough to justify the move/cost, but we are looking forward to the extra rooms and an overall bigger home for our dollars. The home will also be closer to the schools we've enrolled the kiddos to (south OC), though we still haven't decide on which to attend and are still waiting for a few acceptance/rejection to make our decision.

sleepy5136 said:
CalBears96 said:
sleepy5136 said:
There is more MR for sure unless u got the money to live south of 405 or older homes. Really boils down to how much you value IUSD.

That is really the main reason that Irvine can close older schools and build new ones while Lake Forest just lets schools stay overcrowded. The main use of MR is for schools and facilities like police and fire stations.
It's nice to have new facilities, but does it really have that much of an impact on the quality of education overall? I mean, do you need up to date facilities to learn english, math, social studies, science, etc? I personally don't think so. Quality of teachers is where the focus should be here.

My alma mater (USC) loves to ask for donations from me every so often and I refuse. They use the $$ on useless buildings instead of improving other things. Not to mention how many scandals has already happened with them.

It's not just improving the facilities, but expanding the facilities or building completely NEW facilities. Population is increasing in LF, but there is no new school. What did you think  overcrowded meant? I was in this situation 15 years ago when we moved to Eastvale. It was a new community, not even incorporated yet. Eastvale officially became a city in 2010. So the MR went into building new K-12 schools. My son's K-6 and middle school were less than a mile from our home. The high school is pretty awesome. My son is in the STEM program and they even got their own building.

Soylent Green Is People said:
Plenty of examples of how renaming has been done to destigmatize common slurs.  Most likely that Garbage Patch = Garbage Grove = Garden Grove. One may remember Leisure World was "Seizure World" now Laguna Woods. South Central LA is now Central Los Angeles.

My sister's mother in law insisted she did NOT live in Santa Ana. She lived in South Coast Metro! We got married at Calvary Chapel, Costa Mesa (papa Chuck married us!) and put CM on our invites knowing full well it is in Santa Ana. I worked at West Med SA when I went back to work after my first baby was born because no one was hiring RNs at the time (hard to believe there was a time like that now but indeed there was) and we had people who wanted us to put some city other than Santa Ana on the birth certificate (which we couldn't do obviously). Two of my kids were born there and to this day they gasp! OMG! SA!

Please show me a decent home for 2mill in Newport coast?😂

anteaterMD said:
Mety said:
Living in Irvine is not just about ROI. You can get great ROI anywhere now to be honest. Irvine has advantage of its good location. Easy excess to main freeways, malls, plazas, and essential things you need is what this city offers better than other OC areas. At the same time it has clean, safe, organized designs masterfully planed environment instead of having some homes here and there randomly. Parks and playgrounds for kids are superior compare to other cities as well. There are almost too many choices.

Now while Irvine has a better advantage of its location, I don?t like its location at the same time. It?s very hot and dry. Newer homes are even worse. But so are other OC cities. Unless you live near the coast, most OC areas are having very desert-like weathers all throughout the year which some people might like, but I personally don?t.

So then why not just live in Newport? Besides it being too expensive, not everyone loves living in a city with mostly 65+ years old elders. It?s a great retirement community. ;D

Agreed regarding thoughts on Newport.  Recent pricing in Irvine (especially with MR) has reached a monetary threshold where value is best justified if your children/family are actively taking full advantage of the school system (where a lot of MR funds are diverted to).  However, ROI on coastal areas like Newport will exceed the ROI in Irvine given the location / limited supply.

If I'm spending $2 million+, might as well be in Newport Coast.

It's obvious that LF is not Irvine, but given that it's only an earshot away from Irvine, LF shares many of the benefits (eg, safety, restaurants, shops, parks, etc) while maintaining a reasonable cost of entry.

CalBears96 said:
sleepy5136 said:
CalBears96 said:
sleepy5136 said:
There is more MR for sure unless u got the money to live south of 405 or older homes. Really boils down to how much you value IUSD.

That is really the main reason that Irvine can close older schools and build new ones while Lake Forest just lets schools stay overcrowded. The main use of MR is for schools and facilities like police and fire stations.
It's nice to have new facilities, but does it really have that much of an impact on the quality of education overall? I mean, do you need up to date facilities to learn english, math, social studies, science, etc? I personally don't think so. Quality of teachers is where the focus should be here.

My alma mater (USC) loves to ask for donations from me every so often and I refuse. They use the $$ on useless buildings instead of improving other things. Not to mention how many scandals has already happened with them.

It's not just improving the facilities, but expanding the facilities or building completely NEW facilities. Population is increasing in LF, but there is no new school. What did you think  overcrowded meant? I was in this situation 15 years ago when we moved to Eastvale. It was a new community, not even incorporated yet. Eastvale officially became a city in 2010. So the MR went into building new K-12 schools. My son's K-6 and middle school were less than a mile from our home. The high school is pretty awesome. My son is in the STEM program and they even got their own building.
Didn?t someone mention that there is a decline in enrollment in LF? And what is the definition of crowded? 30-40 kids per class? I was in that situation and they told me that?s crowded. If that?s crowded, what about college lectures with 100-200+ people per lecture? Isn?t that crowded?

trematix said:

anteaterMD said:
Mety said:

Agreed regarding thoughts on Newport.  Recent pricing in Irvine (especially with MR) has reached a monetary threshold where value is best justified if your children/family are actively taking full advantage of the school system (where a lot of MR funds are diverted to).  However, ROI on coastal areas like Newport will exceed the ROI in Irvine given the location / limited supply.

It's obvious that LF is not Irvine, but given that it's only an earshot away from Irvine, LF shares many of the benefits (eg, safety, restaurants, shops, parks, etc) while maintaining a reasonable cost of entry.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Newport-Coast/17-Versailles-92657/home/4736061

I think it?s pretty decent *shrug*

nice house nice price. I love the circular stairs and vaulted ceiling. however, dedicated dining room is kind of out of style and it would be nice there is a upstairs LOFT. and given the size of the house, you get a smallish living room, dining room and family instead one open great room...

anteaterMD said:
trematix said:

anteaterMD said:
Mety said:

Ready2Downsize said:
Plenty of examples of how renaming has been done to destigmatize common slurs.  Most likely that Garbage Patch = Garbage Grove = Garden Grove. One may remember Leisure World was "Seizure World" now Laguna Woods. South Central LA is now Central Los Angeles.

My sister's mother in law insisted she did NOT live in Santa Ana. She lived in South Coast Metro! We got married at Calvary Chapel, Costa Mesa (papa Chuck married us!) and put CM on our invites knowing full well it is in Santa Ana. I worked at West Med SA when I went back to work after my first baby was born because no one was hiring RNs at the time (hard to believe there was a time like that now but indeed there was) and we had people who wanted us to put some city other than Santa Ana on the birth certificate (which we couldn't do obviously). Two of my kids were born there and to this day they gasp! OMG! SA!
People should learn to embrace where they come from. If anything, coming from a not so decent area and finding a way to pull yourself out of there into a better area is more admirable.

sleepy5136 said:
Ready2Downsize said:

People should learn to embrace where they come. If anything, coming from a not so decent area and finding a way to pull yourself out of there into a better area is more admirable.

And people should learn to embrace where they have come from.  My upbringing near Little Saigon (Westminster / Santa Ana / Garden Grove) is part of my cultural identity, and I often visit for a cheap, delicious bowl of pho ;D

Also can't forget the Hispanic community too; there's some of the best Mexican food you can find if you come in with an open mind.

anteaterMD said:
sleepy5136 said:
Ready2Downsize said:

People should learn to embrace where they come. If anything, coming from a not so decent area and finding a way to pull yourself out of there into a better area is more admirable.

And people should learn to embrace where they have come from.  My upbringing near Little Saigon (Westminster / Santa Ana / Garden Grove) is part of my cultural identity, and I often visit for a cheap, delicious bowl of pho ;D

Also can't forget the Hispanic community too; there's some of the best Mexican food you can find if you come in with an open mind.

Any recommendation of Mexican or Vietnamese restaurants in orange county?

sleepy5136 said:
Ready2Downsize said:

People should learn to embrace where they come from. If anything, coming from a not so decent area and finding a way to pull yourself out of there into a better area is more admirable.

So you still live there or just go for cheaper food?

Ready2Downsize said:
sleepy5136 said:
Ready2Downsize said:

So you still live there or just go for cheaper food?
I think you quoted the wrong post

You ain?t joking, that is a nice home. I?d consider that if I was in the market. Nice sized lot too. I always was under impression entry price was 3mill+ in Newport coast.

anteaterMD said:
trematix said:

anteaterMD said:
Mety said:

capboba said:
I always like these OC other real estate thread becoming a XYZ vs Irvine thread eventually but then again it's TI.

Anyways update on our lot. (We are moving from Orchard Hills to Meadows). I mentioned elsewhere but we are moving away form Irvine public schools and will enroll our kids at private so the school advantage was moot for us. I think IUSD schools are good and there are a lot of pros/cons but that's probably best for a different thread.

The latest Orchard Hill closest comparable just closed for 2.35 mil. It's just a wee bit smaller than our home and a much smaller lot (1,100 sq ft smaller) vs ours so it'll be interesting to see how much we can get for ours when it comes time to sell. Hopefully market is still decent for sellers by then.

Fwiw since we were close to phase one with our Evergreen home, there's already a 200k increase in pricing/equity and not one home has even been delivered yet. Kinda wack.

We went thru the design studio process and put deposit down for upgrades already. It seems typical spend is around 60k to as high as 200k+, really depends on what you're willing to do with builder vs outside vendor.

The bigger cost for us would be the kitchen which ran to about +35k or some such for better cabinets and all the works. I was interested in waterfall countertop but it basically 2.5x the island cost so I moved on. Another big item was cable rail stairs systems, which is cheap when compared to Toll's full iron wrought systems.

Other bigger items were pre chosen on the lot already (multi panel sliding door in great room), solar panels (4.2 kWh system seems to be the standard).

They seem to think a late Summer delivery is attainable for phase one and two homes but we will see. No doubt anyone driving by on the 241 have seen the homes finally going up.

The on site sale center is packed 24/7 and demand is incredibly high. Toll is in a great position to squeeze as much as they can out of this community given how the market is currently. There's a strong fomo to buy before rate hikes are in full - though we're already seeing rates going up now.

When it's all said and done hopefully we stay here long enough to justify the move/cost, but we are looking forward to the extra rooms and an overall bigger home for our dollars. The home will also be closer to the schools we've enrolled the kiddos to (south OC), though we still haven't decide on which to attend and are still waiting for a few acceptance/rejection to make our decision.

Aesthetically I find the Town Center pretty lacking, but the convenience is undeniable, especially with a little one and having to do more fast casual takeout or quick runs to Target, Home Depot, or Walmart.

People in Portola Springs or even far back in Orchard Hills do get a nice view (at least from some lots and the pools!) but it is not near as convenient as most of Foothill Ranch. 

I'm really hoping the influx of high end homes between Baker Ranch, the development over off of Glenn Ranch, and now the Meadows will encourage some better grocery store options!

I'm guessing you'll quite enjoy the move from Orchard Hills to Foothill Ranch. 

talkirvine said:
anteaterMD said:
sleepy5136 said:
Ready2Downsize said:

Any recommendation of Mexican or Vietnamese restaurants in orange county?

For Vietnamese:
Pho 79 (pho)
Huong Giang (bun bo hue)
Banh Cuon Tay Ho #4 (see the name)
Seafood Cove #2 (dim sum)
Brodards is a fan favorite. Their pork spring rolls are very delicious.  However I wouldn't get anything else as the rest of their menu is mediocre. 

As for Mexican, I can't remember the specific restaurant / food truck names, only their locations (somewhere deep in Santa Ana).  If I happen to run into it I'll let you know.

I am very excited to try Pho Akaushi; they just opened a location in Lake Forest and it's very well received.  They make pho with kobe beef.  Kind of genius if you asked me.

ThirtySomethingWEquity said:
capboba said:

Aesthetically I find the Town Center pretty lacking, but the convenience is undeniable, especially with a little one and having to do more fast casual takeout or quick runs to Target, Home Depot, or Walmart.

People in Portola Springs or even far back in Orchard Hills do get a nice view (at least from some lots and the pools!) but it is not near as convenient as most of Foothill Ranch. 

I'm really hoping the influx of high end homes between Baker Ranch, the development over off of Glenn Ranch, and now the Meadows will encourage some better grocery store options!

I'm guessing you'll quite enjoy the move from Orchard Hills to Foothill Ranch.

There are very few certainties in life... one of which is "wherever money goes, business will follow."  ;D

Toll appears to be moving very quickly on building these homes. I pass by there every week and it seems like the models will be finished soon. Plenty of units are framed now. Most times it takes 5-6 months to build once the foundations are poured. At this rate delivering in June appears to be a possiblity.

Toll appears to be moving very quickly on building these homes. I pass by there every week and it seems like the models will be finished soon. Plenty of units are framed now. Most times it takes 5-6 months to build once the foundations are poured. At this rate delivering in June appears to be a possiblity.

Yea I pass by twice a week and I noticed the progress on model homes seem to be moving fast. When I first posted about this a few weeks ago there was literally dirt across the whole site.

Back