The Meadows, Lake Forest by Toll Brothers

Went to the sales office to have a convo with them and basically they won't even talk to you unless you are a cash buyer and willing to "bid" for new releases. Can't even get on the list as a cash buyer for the two smaller plans either.

B2FiNiTY said:
Went to the sales office to have a convo with them and basically they won't even talk to you unless you are a cash buyer and willing to "bid" for new releases. Can't even get on the list as a cash buyer for the two smaller plans either.

Which development did you go to at The Meadows?

B2FiNiTY said:

Lol Lake Forest is Lake Forest.  They are acting as if Lake Forest is the new Shady.

BlackKnight said:
B2FiNiTY said:

Lol Lake Forest is Lake Forest.  They are acting as if Lake Forest is the new Shady.
thanks for your opinion. How's life in #GarbageGate?

Do you feel like people like The Meadows since it's a Toll Brother's development?  I wonder if another developer would get the same interest?  Given that it takes over 2mil to get into a new development in Orchard hills, the meadows feels like a bargain and the zip code is factored into the lower price.  Crazy that a home in Lake Forest goes over 1.5 mil now, but the market speaks for itself

callmehere said:
Do you feel like people like The Meadows since it's a Toll Brother's development?  I wonder if another developer would get the same interest?  Given that it takes over 2mil to get into a new development in Orchard hills, the meadows feels like a bargain and the zip code is factored into the lower price.  Crazy that a home in Lake Forest goes over 1.5 mil now, but the market speaks for itself

I would say so. Toll Brothers has a good reputation. We were willing to buy without looking at the models. However, we just didn't like the location of The Meadows, so we decided not to pursue any further.

A lot of these buyers must be underbuying or are cash. I can't see anyone putting 10% down + interest rates rising being able to buy a property here. Especially since it takes 1 yr for them to build one of these homes. Who knows what interest rates will be 1-3 months from now let alone 1 year..

sleepy5136 said:
A lot of these buyers must be underbuying or are cash. I can't see anyone putting 10% down + interest rates rising being able to buy a property here. Especially since it takes 1 yr for them to build one of these homes. Who knows what interest rates will be 1-3 months from now let alone 1 year..

Agreed, it?s very risky. I would be willing to take that risk for a new build in Irvine, but not this location. I am wondering how they still have so many buyers. The demand in nearby TB communities like Baker Ranch is not THAT high - many homes are selling at list price or even lower. BR also seems like a nicer location too?

If the housing market starts cooling off, I feel like LF will get hit harder than Irvine for sure. Would not want to be locked into a contract at that point.

milgauss said:
sleepy5136 said:

Agreed, it?s very risky. I would be willing to take that risk for a new build in Irvine, but not this location. I am wondering how they still have so many buyers. The demand in nearby TB communities like Baker Ranch is not THAT high - many homes are selling at list price or even lower. BR also seems like a nicer location too?

If the housing market starts cooling off, I feel like LF will get hit harder than Irvine for sure. Would not want to be locked into a contract at that point.

Many people doubted Altair three/four years ago, but it turned to be successful.  Both TB and TIC are well known in marketing and selling their houses.

Altair is still in Irvine and IUSD. Rising tides lift all boats, so Irvine still a safer choice.

talkirvine said:
milgauss said:
sleepy5136 said:

Many people doubted Altair three/four years ago, but it turned to be successful.  Both TB and TIC are well known in marketing and selling their houses.

milgauss said:
sleepy5136 said:

Honestly, tech and aerospace is really heating up right now and there are a ton of STEM companies in Irvine. Combined with the STEM talent shortage, there is a lot of money being thrown around.
  • Amazon just announced they are doubling their base salary limit from $160,000 to $350,000.
  • Microsoft bought Blizzard and Blizzard was know for low balling their employees where as Microsoft pays well.
  • Oracle paid their employees a huge bonus this year and give most of their STEM employees stock this year, usually it was only limited to the top performers.
  • Medical tech industry is also overflowing with cash, Masimo, Bio-Rad, J&J all have their medical tech teams near the Spectrum and the pandemic has made them a lot of money.
  • Tons of money being thrown at aerospace and constellation satellite tech.
Anecdotally, I work for a mid sized no-name tech company in the area and our upper management is spooked rn. They announced in December that they are giving all devs/qa an 80% raise this year.

BR and Meadows are close enough to these companies around the Spectrum that if there is a downturn in the economy, tech and aerospace demand is going to keep Irvine and LF afloat.

You forgot Apple is hiring in Irvine also.

wootjhons said:
milgauss said:
sleepy5136 said:

Honestly, tech and aerospace is really heating up right now and there are a ton of STEM companies in Irvine. Combined with the STEM talent shortage, there is a lot of money being thrown around.
  • Amazon just announced they are doubling their base salary limit from $160,000 to $350,000.
  • Microsoft bought Blizzard and Blizzard was know for low balling their employees where as Microsoft pays well.
  • Oracle paid their employees a huge bonus this year and give most of their STEM employees stock this year, usually it was only limited to the top performers.
  • Medical tech industry is also overflowing with cash, Masimo, Bio-Rad, J&J all have their medical tech teams near the Spectrum and the pandemic has made them a lot of money.
Anecdotally, I work for a mid sized no-name tech company in the area and our upper management is spooked rn. They announced in December that they are giving all devs/qa an 80% raise this year.

BR and Meadows are close enough to these companies around the Spectrum that if there is a downturn in the economy, tech and aerospace demand is going to keep Irvine and LF afloat.

The California Court Company said:
You forgot Apple is hiring in Irvine also.

wootjhons said:
milgauss said:
sleepy5136 said:

Oh yeah I forgot about Apple too. Last I heard they were trying to poach Broadcom chip designers. That's going to add a lot of money into Irvine/LF if it gains traction.

milgauss said:

My place in Baker Ranch has gone up 40% in a year and a half (Thanks Martin!) so I dunno what you're talking about with not high demand, prices have been skyrocketing here.  Agents are just catching up and pricing their homes correctly now.  I don't forsee as much appreciation in LF as I do in the good neighborhoods of Irvine.  However with an influx of buyers from the Bay + LA, and OC companies finally starting to pay a bit more to compete with remote work, there will be plenty of buyers looking for nice 4+ bedroom homes in both Irvine nand Lake Forest.

LF vs Irvine is not like Irvine vs Compton guys. Assuming you guys are talking about primary residence and not investment properties, it really makes no difference.

anteaterMD said:
Let?s not forget to factor the ROI on these properties (vs new builds in Irvine / GP) thanks to no Mello Roos  ;)

Correct its like living having a Beverly Hills address vs a West Hollywood address. It makes a difference down the road when you sell your place. (I think Irvine brand is greater than LF)

eyephone said:
anteaterMD said:
Let?s not forget to factor the ROI on these properties (vs new builds in Irvine / GP) thanks to no Mello Roos  ;)

Correct its like living having a Beverly Hills address vs a West Hollywood address. It makes a difference down the road when you sell your place. (I think Irvine brand is greater than LF)
Irvine schools is really what makes Irvine stand out. The ROI diff is really not going to mean anything for a primary residence. Especially when you factor in the MR that you pay for X years. Also, the vast majority of Irvine homes are master planned cookie cuttered homes, not everyone likes that.

Its the perception, Irvine top rank one of the safest city. But I am guessing LF is safe also. The Irvine school district is good, but I am sure LF school are good too. It is the brand name and perception.
I am sure there are big nice houses in West Hollywood. Also, there is a lot of things to do there and stuff. But it is not Beverly Hills.

Back