The 2020 Presidential Election

morekaos said:
Americans' Perceptions of U.S. World Image Best Since 2003

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Fifty-eight percent of Americans believe the U.S. rates "very" or "somewhat favorably" in the world's eyes. Though the current figure is up just slightly from the 55% recorded last year, it represents the highest figure Gallup has found since 2003.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/247064/americans-perceptions-world-image-best-2003.aspx

Because delusion and ignorance are not things we are shooting for?

morekaos said:
So these people are ignorant?

Yes...if those people think that the rest of the world loves the US when in reality the rest of world dislikes the US a lot. 

Did you actually read the article....or the quote you selected?

Yes, it's an opinion piece.

Try a few of they hyperlinks imbedded in the article. I think the first one is directly to the IRS data, so pretty non partisan fact based stuff. At the end of the opinion piece the writer underscores that it's still too early to know the full results. That's the correct way to look at this issue, not to jump all over it early as some have.

Also, USAToday is hardly a right wing media outlet. It was surprising to see it there.

Irvinecommuter said:
Soylent Green Is People said:
Amazing to watch narratives change every week. From the reliably right wing shill USAToday:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2019/03/01/donald-trump-tax-cut-refunds-irs-kamala-harris-column/3026996002/

It is an opinion piece so alleged political leaning of the media is irrelevant.

Yes agree

And what exactly is the point ? Get a little more money in your pocket temporarily, so one is expected to ignore everything else . The stock market rally didn?t exactly help the republicans in 2018 elections now, did it ?

But people have to keep clutching at straws ...

Soylent Green Is People said:
Yes, it's an opinion piece.

Try a few of they hyperlinks imbedded in the article. I think the first one is directly to the IRS data, so pretty non partisan fact based stuff. At the end of the opinion piece the writer underscores that it's still too early to know the full results. That's the correct way to look at this issue, not to jump all over it early as some have.

Also, USAToday is hardly a right wing media outlet. It was surprising to see it there.

Data is always up for interpretations...otherwise most financial industry would be gone.

Again...it is an opinion piece and most legit media sources try for balance, including inviting sources from all across the spectrum.  For all the attacks on CNN, they invite guests and commentators across the board.

As for the tax issue, Trump should have learned from Obama that people don't notice marginal increases in their paychecks...heck i dont remember the last time i even looked at my paystub.  Getting a refund for a lot of people is a big thing.

On a macro point, most economists agree that the tax cuts had very little effect on things like jobs as much went to corporations and stock buybacks.  On the flip side, we are at $22 trillion on the deficit but the GOP doesnt care about that now

The irony is too delicious to pass up. While the Dems trip over themselves to see who can lurch further left of their new star Alexandria occasional cortex, her own mother blows her home town because (amongst other reasons) the taxes are too high and she flees to the low tax state of Florida...ouch!

'God played quite a joke on me with this politics stuff!' The privacy-loving mother of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez whips up lasagna as she tells how she had to flee New York because of high taxes and gushes about wedding bells for her daughter

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6748793/Alexandria-Ocasio-Cortezs-mother-tells-hopes-daughter-marries-longtime-boyfriend.html

Meh .. this is far bigger .

We finally have a state media just like other places like China and North Korea

So every conservative up in arms about media bias is totally silent on this New Yorker story  ... self appointed media watchdogs would have be rabid dogs on a bone if this were CNN and a Democrat

?Fox News HAD the story of Trump's hush money payoffs to Stormy Daniels BEFORE the election but killed it because the reporter said she was told, "Good reporting Kiddo, but Rupert Murdoch wants Donald Trump to win. So set it aside." Reporter sued, is bound by an NDA.?
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/...ews-white-house/amp?__twitter_impression=true

And compare this to the ?liberal? NYT which single handedly killed Clinton?s campaign by breaking the email server story ...

Even if true the story got more than its share of coverage on every other network and  paper.  One outlet spiking a story can't kill it if every other network is screaming it.

So getting back to the election, are the results of the 2018 midterms indicative of what we will see in 2020?

I realize both sides think they won, but from my more neutral position, I do think the Dems were the "victor" in that election.

Although, I do think it will depend on who comes out on the Dem side. If it's Hillary 2.0, not sure that will work, Michelle Obama would have a better chance. Heck, Tipper Gore would have a better chance. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
So getting back to the election, are the results of the 2018 midterms indicative of what we will see in 2020?

I realize both sides think they won, but from my more neutral position, I do think the Dems were the "victor" in that election.

Although, I do think it will depend on who comes out on the Dem side. If it's Hillary 2.0, not sure that will work, Michelle Obama would have a better chance. Heck, Tipper Gore would have a better chance. :)

I still never understood the hatred for Hillary but that's history at this point.

I think it depends on who shakes out from the Dem field and how the economy is in a year...Trump has no real accomplishments other than the tax cuts and that doesn't seem like it is panning out to any sort of political capital.  If the CBO is accurate, we are looking at meh growth in 2019 and poor growth in 2020.

morekaos said:
Even if true the story got more than its share of coverage on every other network and  paper.  One outlet spiking a story can't kill it if every other network is screaming it.

No attention to detail as usual

This is BEFORE the election when everyone here was hyperventilating over Hillary clintons email server

fortune11 said:
morekaos said:

This is BEFORE the election when everyone here was hyperventilating over Hillary clintons email server

No one cares. I know you wish they did but they just don't. Can't prove a negative but no one would have cared then and no one really cares now.  This story has all but already disappeared into the next cycle...and like that...he's gone.
https://youtu.be/IkJqKOb0ZhY

https://youtu.be/IkJqKOb0ZhY

morekaos said:
fortune11 said:
morekaos said:

No one cares. I know you wish they did but they just don't. Can't prove a negative but no one would have cared then and no one really cares now.  This story has all but already disappeared into the next cycle...and like that...he's gone.

Weird how nothing matters re Trump but yet Trump and Trumpsters still want to investigate Hillary.

Irvinecommuter said:
morekaos said:
fortune11 said:
morekaos said:

Weird how nothing matters re Trump but yet Trump and Trumpsters still want to investigate Hillary.

Yeah I know

Was just pointing out the moronic -

? nothing matters until it is something I want to focus on?

Shame that the recent posts timeline continues to be polluted w his nonsense

Back