Tesla

Hehe... and Homie was getting mad when I was teasing him about driving a Fisker.

What a baller. Didn't you just buy that X5? I'll take your hand me downs.

There is a white model s here in the neighborhood. Very nice car. These guys must be homers relatives cause in addition to the model s they have a couple of 7 series.

Congrats man.

Tyler Durden said:
qwerty said:
There is a white model s here in the neighborhood. Very nice car. These guys must be homers relatives cause in addition to the model s they have a couple of 7 series.

Congrats man.

What was the criteria that you recognize his car vs. other neighbors...  Big wing on the back? oversize exhaust? Neon underneath? Oversize rearview mirror?
Hello Kitty sticker?

Hero-Charles-Ramsey-Dead-Giveaway-Reaction-Gif.gif

Yeah we got the X5 in 2012.  Love the X but we really love the LX570 more. 

Funny thing Qwerty, the guy in the white MS is a buddy of mine.  He's the one that convinced me to test out the Tesla.  He has the 60 but let me drive his 85 loaner... OMG.... That thing is a rocket!

Oh Qwerty, have you seen the guy with the Audi R8 in the neighborhood?? He lives on Covington but he drives down Severyns in the wee mornings... Man, his exhaust wakes everyone up I bet!

HOMEOWNER SIMPSON said:
Oh Qwerty, have you seen the guy with the Audi R8 in the neighborhood?? He lives on Covington but he drives down Severyns in the wee mornings... Man, his exhaust wakes everyone up I bet!
Sounds like my exhaust...some people have described the exhaust as sounding like a cup car.  haha

Tyler Durden said:
probably because he is cruising down the street in 1st gear or something trying to get everyone to look at his car.

So bad for the car when the engine isn't even warm yet.... tsktsk... When I had the 997, I just left it in 2nd cruising around the neighborhood.. If I had it in first and I hit a bump, I would get that herky jerky motion LOL!

HOMEOWNER SIMPSON said:
Tyler Durden said:
probably because he is cruising down the street in 1st gear or something trying to get everyone to look at his car.

So bad for the car when the engine isn't even warm yet.... tsktsk... When I had the 997, I just left it in 2nd cruising around the neighborhood.. If I had it in first and I hit a bump, I would get that herky jerky motion LOL!
Yeah, first gear is only intended to get your rolling from a stop and it likes to buck like a bronco if you aren't smooth with the gas in first gear.  That clutch is the toughest/firmest clutch that I ever drove. 

Tyler Durden said:
I got my exhaust mainly because of the weight reduction (50lbs off the car due to taking off the side mufflers and center muffler) and I wanted a nice aggressive sound.

Tyler Durden said:
qwerty said:

Congrats man.

What was the criteria that you recognize his car vs. other neighbors...  Big wing on the back? oversize exhaust? Neon underneath? Oversize rearview mirror?
Hello Kitty sticker?

Definitely the hello kitty sticker!

Tyler Durden said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Tyler Durden said:
I got my exhaust mainly because of the weight reduction (50lbs off the car due to taking off the side mufflers and center muffler) and I wanted a nice aggressive sound.

Why not run with no exhaust and put it back on when you need to smog?
I have to have an exhaust because then the exhaust gases would stay under the car.  The headers and cats are OEM and the exhaust set-up that I have are pipes after the cat with one all resonator before the tips on each side.  Taking out the cats will result in a loss of power/torque in the low/middle RPM range due to no back pressure and the exhaust sound will be way too loud.  What I have now is about as loud as I would be willing to hear.

HOMEOWNER SIMPSON said:
Funny thing Qwerty, the guy in the white MS is a buddy of mine.  He's the one that convinced me to test out the Tesla.  He has the 60 but let me drive his 85 loaner... OMG.... That thing is a rocket!

Oh that's good. So this Friday I'll go knock on his door and say I'm here to pick up the keys to the MS, when he's like, what? I'll say homer said he talked to you and said I could borrow the car for the weekend.

HOMEOWNER SIMPSON said:

I have seen. Nice ride. There is also a Ferrari here on York I think. And on Washington some dude has a three car garage with a couple of Porsches in there. I'm surprised these folks with money decided to live in the ghetto of Columbus Square. They should be in irvine  :D

qwerty said:
HOMEOWNER SIMPSON said:

I have seen. Nice ride. There is also a Ferrari here on York I think. And on Washington some dude has a three car garage with a couple of Porsches in there. I'm surprised these folks with money decided to live in the ghetto of Columbus Square. They should be in irvine  :D

They need to be reminded of their struggles by living in the ghetto?

Tyler Durden said:
The main thing is the noise... or you could go with what works for NASCAR:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/question588.htm

If you have ever been to a race... its damn lound.  More like thunder when 43 cars roar around the track.

NASCAR engines sounds like a Llama taking a shart. They were still using carburetors as recently as 2011.

Need to make a trip to Le Mans before I die.
[youtube]y8saOK-uHY4[/youtube]
[youtube]lFcEZlW2Jcw[/youtube]
[youtube]3RwYRnTk11U[/youtube]
[youtube]6Rgmm_xZEyY[/youtube]

If you buy one stock up on spare parts.  Not a good short now but someday....

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-tesla-model-s-20130820,0,4137969.story

But the cars themselves aren?t making the company any money.

Tesla has reported a profit in the last two quarters because its chief executive, the intrepid Elon Musk, has deftly extracted millions from government environmental policies, all the while establishing himself as the country?s leading corporate futurist, a modern Henry Ford.

On the more expensive Model S -- with the biggest battery and longest driving range -- Tesla collects seven environmental credits from California's Air Resources Board. It can sell those credits for an estimated $5,000 each to other automakers, as Los Angeles Times auto reporter Jerry Hirsch reported earlier this year. Other automakers need the credits to meet state pollution regulations.

So Tesla can net as much as $35,000 per Model S -- more than most cars cost. It's the difference between profit and loss. During just the first six months of this year, Tesla has sold about $150 million in environmental credits.

That?s on top of the up to $10,000 in state and federal government subsidies directly to buyers of electric cars. Strip all that away, and Tesla presumably would have to sell its top-end Model S for something more like $150,000, in the same volume, to make any money.

morekaos said:
If you buy one stock up on spare parts.  Not a good short now but someday....

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-tesla-model-s-20130820,0,4137969.story

But the cars themselves aren?t making the company any money.

Tesla has reported a profit in the last two quarters because its chief executive, the intrepid Elon Musk, has deftly extracted millions from government environmental policies, all the while establishing himself as the country?s leading corporate futurist, a modern Henry Ford.

On the more expensive Model S -- with the biggest battery and longest driving range -- Tesla collects seven environmental credits from California's Air Resources Board. It can sell those credits for an estimated $5,000 each to other automakers, as Los Angeles Times auto reporter Jerry Hirsch reported earlier this year. Other automakers need the credits to meet state pollution regulations.

So Tesla can net as much as $35,000 per Model S -- more than most cars cost. It's the difference between profit and loss. During just the first six months of this year, Tesla has sold about $150 million in environmental credits.

That?s on top of the up to $10,000 in state and federal government subsidies directly to buyers of electric cars. Strip all that away, and Tesla presumably would have to sell its top-end Model S for something more like $150,000, in the same volume, to make any money.

So the taxpayers are significantly subsidizing  a car that more than 90% of the country can't afford. Nice.

Back