Tesla Solar Panels Price Cut

It's time for your monthly Tesla price adjustment! All system sizes now harmonized to $2.01/W pre-incentive, or $1.49/W post-incentive. This is the biggest benefit to the Small system, which moved from $10k to $8.2k (pre-incentive). The other 3 sizes actually went up in price, with the biggest jump (+$2800) for the largest system.

So tempting...

hurijo said:
It's time for your monthly Tesla price adjustment! All system sizes now harmonized to $2.01/W pre-incentive, or $1.49/W post-incentive. This is the biggest benefit to the Small system, which moved from $10k to $8.2k (pre-incentive). The other 3 sizes actually went up in price, with the biggest jump (+$2800) for the largest system.

So tempting...

Nice, I was going back and forth between the 4kW and 8kW system for my Las Vegas home so now I'll focus on the 4kW system. I might wait a month or two to see if they drop prices further.

I think this maybe the time to pull the trigger and get solar. You factor more electricity use.

I missed the monthly subscriptions no removal fee. (even though my friends and family did it.)

USCTrojanCPA said:
hurijo said:

So tempting...

Nice, I was going back and forth between the 4kW and 8kW system for my Las Vegas home so now I'll focus on the 4kW system. I might wait a month or two to see if they drop prices further.

Too bad we do not live in NY. They get an additional NY solar tax credit. Also, NYserda solar incentive. (Plus the fed credit) So for the small system your looking at approximate $3.3k (after incentives)

California price $6k (after incentive) for small system

Is that cost normalized for the reduced sunlight available in NY versus CA?

eyephone said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
hurijo said:

So tempting...

Too bad we do not live in NY. They get an additional NY solar tax credit. Also, NYserda solar incentive. (Plus the fed credit) So for the small system your looking at approximate $3.3k (after incentives)

California price $6k (after incentive) for small system

best_potsticker_in_town said:
Damn...I may have bought if this was the price when I ordered. Brings the breakeven from 8 years to 5 for me.

Doesn't hurt to ask Tesla if you can do that. Especially if you haven't gotten PTO yet. I think Tesla's 7-day return policy (if that applies to subscription) is after PTO date. ;)

I priced an 8.16w system:

To subscribe it's $130/mo, to purchase using their loan (20 years 5.99% interest), it's $91/mo. And on the purchase, I can add 1 Powerall for $47/mo extra to bring the total bill to $138/mo. The cash price for that is $16,400+11,000-$2500 (discount for solar and wall installation)=$24,900, $18,426 after incentives.

Seems like a purchase is better than subscription at this point, even if I use their financing.

Tesla Solar Time?

eyephone said:
Forget the power wall. (Sounds like power ball)

The price will go down most likely for the battery.

True. They recommended 2, but I put it down to 1 because we need it just in case. Had a power outage a while ago (only an hour or so) but would feel better if we had the wall.

hurijo said:
best_potsticker_in_town said:
Damn...I may have bought if this was the price when I ordered. Brings the breakeven from 8 years to 5 for me.

Doesn't hurt to ask Tesla if you can do that. Especially if you haven't gotten PTO yet. I think Tesla's 7-day return policy (if that applies to subscription) is after PTO date. ;)

I'll probably get PTO in the next couple weeks. The city signed off today. I'll reach out and ask what they can do for me.

I see solar panels coming down in price quicker than labor costs rising.  However, I do agree incentives will only get worse and eventually disappear.

My biggest hangup is how it will complicate roof replacement when that time comes.  I'm probably 10-15 years away.  Roof looks good, but was installed in the late '90s.  If the roof was new or due it would be a no brainer.

Hmm if you finance with Tesla you will pay around $21-22k for panels that are worth $16.4k.

irvinehomeowner said:

To subscribe it's $130/mo, to purchase using their loan (20 years 5.99% interest), it's $91/mo. And on the purchase, I can add 1 Powerall for $47/mo extra to bring the total bill to $138/mo. The cash price for that is $16,400+11,000-$2500 (discount for solar and wall installation)=$24,900, $18,426 after incentives.

Seems like a purchase is better than subscription at this point, even if I use their financing.

Tesla Solar Time?

eyephone said:
Hmm if you finance with Tesla you will pay around $21-22k for panels that are worth $16.4k.

irvinehomeowner said:

Tesla Solar Time?

Hence why it's better to pay cash for a smaller system like the 4.08 kW system.

daedalus said:
My biggest hangup is how it will complicate roof replacement when that time comes.  I'm probably 10-15 years away.  Roof looks good, but was installed in the late '90s.  If the roof was new or due it would be a no brainer.

Same exact hangup for me. I'm less optimistic about my current roof lasting another 15 years tho, maybe 10 max.

Are you thinking about Tesla Solar Roof instead of panels?

Kenkoko said:
daedalus said:

Same exact hangup for me. I'm less optimistic about my current roof lasting another 15 years tho, maybe 10 max.

Are you thinking about Tesla Solar Roof instead of panels?

Get it and worry about it later.  :)
The solar roof is kinda over priced.

Back