Tesla Model Y

irvinehomeowner said:
I'm going to the Costa Mesa location to see if I fit... thanks for the post BPIT! :)

Nice! I think you'll like it. If you're not in a rush, I'd suggest ordering towards September. That'll be their next big delivery rush (end of Q3) and the build quality should be much better. If they have a lot of standing inventory, they may even do a promo like they're doing for the Model 3 - free supercharging for a year if purchased by 6/30.

How long did it take between putting down the $100 deposit and receiving the car?

I just took delivery of my Model 3 on Monday in Fremont. Got the 1 yr of free supercharging for taking delivery prior to 6/30. For $38K this car is a total steal. Such a great buying experience too, though the syncing between your account, app and car created a 20 minute glitch to fix.

zubs said:
How long did it take between putting down the $100 deposit and receiving the car?

I put down my deposit ($2,500) on 1/3/2020. They offered me the car back in March, but my lease doesn't expire until July, so I turned it down and delayed. With the end of quarter being their big delivery push, June was the ideal month to take delivery.

@OCtoSV - the free supercharging for a year is an awesome deal! There's a ton of Model 3 inventory - hopefully they'll have that promo again for buyers at the end of Q3.

If I do buy a fully electric car, it'll be a Porsche instead of a Telsa. I have played around with the configurator for a Taycan 4S and my spec is just under $130k. I think Porsche releases a fully electric Cayenne and Macan in the next 3 years or so.

OCtoSV said:
I just took delivery of my Model 3 on Monday in Fremont. Got the 1 yr of free supercharging for taking delivery prior to 6/30. For $38K this car is a total steal. Such a great buying experience too, though the syncing between your account, app and car created a 20 minute glitch to fix.

Congrats and welcome to the club.

For the uninitiated folks here, a year of free supercharging is not a huge $ value at the end of the year. Consider this scenario, if you drove 15k miles in first year and 100% utilized the free supercharging, you'd have consumed 4000-5000 kW. If you had to pay your utility, your cost for this many kW would range from ~$500 (always charged at night) to $2000 (always charged at peak hours).

OCtoSV said:

Good luck with the service and auto body monopoly with Tesla.

USCTrojanCPA said:
If I do buy a fully electric car, it'll be a Porsche instead of a Telsa. I have played around with the configurator for a Taycan 4S and my spec is just under $130k. I think Porsche releases a fully electric Cayenne and Macan in the next 3 years or so.
Martin - did you read the WSJ review of the Taycan? I think Dan's summary was "3/5 of a Model S for twice the price". After spending 4 days with a brand new 911 last year and 5 days with my Model 3 you couldn't pay me to swap it for the 911. And only $38K!! Tesla has like a 10 year lead on the legacy ICE automakers in everything - software, drivetrain technology, regen braking, battery - they even make their own silicon. I think Porsche AG will be BK inside of 10 yrs.

I'd take a Porsche over a Tesla too.  I think you'll find that those who get a Porsche pay the premium since they like that specific driving experience.  Everyone is different, if you're happy with the Tesla, enjoy your car, no one else will change your opinion since its personal preference.

Family member ran through a Nissan Leaf (weak, but 1st gen) A Tesla S (sweet) and currently has a Tesla X with some issues. Heard the Y has had "growing pains" when it comes to build quality. Soylent Red is considering the Model S which I'd be ok with given it's had some time to mature as a product line. It's not so much the benefits of an electric vehicle we'd want to keep a sharp eye out on, but build quality.

It's a bit of a contradiction when it comes to quality, but I can't wait for the Electric Ural to be produced:
https://www.imz-ural.com/electric

My .02c

The Model S probably has the least build issues with the X, 3, and Y following. The Y definitely has growing pains. I have some panel alignment and paint imperfections that they need to touch up. Taking it into the service center later this week.

I think because they were rushing to get those Ys out to meet quotas. :)

Based on the sales numbers of the 3s... Tesla is going to do really well as I see those cars everywhere. Eventually I think the Y will surpass the 3 as their top seller.

akkord said:
I'd take a Porsche over a Tesla too.  I think you'll find that those who get a Porsche pay the premium since they like that specific driving experience.  Everyone is different, if you're happy with the Tesla, enjoy your car, no one else will change your opinion since its personal preference.
I used to think so as well until I had each car for a few days. I have a lot of friends who swear they could never move away from throbbing performance V8s or Porsche engines, but my experience tracks well to this showdown:
https://cleantechnica.com/2019/03/23/58000-tesla-model-3-performance-vs-294250-porsche-911-gt2-rs-guess-who-wins/

Model Y looks really good. I see them more on the road now. I can't tell if it's Y or X when I see them drive by quickly. The only way is by looking at the side door handles.

I liked the look of 3 more than S since it looked more modern without the chrome end. Model Y carries exactly the same concept from the 3 which I like better. It might really be the biggest selling Tesla vehicle. (until Cybertruck comes...)

Anyone knows when they would start leasing Model Y?

OCtoSV said:
akkord said:
I used to think so as well until I had each car for a few days. I have a lot of friends who swear they could never move away from throbbing performance V8s or Porsche engines, but my experience tracks well to this showdown:
https://cleantechnica.com/2019/03/23/58000-tesla-model-3-performance-vs-294250-porsche-911-gt2-rs-guess-who-wins/

How would this turn out in the mountains or auto crossing? 

OCtoSV said:
akkord said:

We are a bmw family. In a couple of years, for my next car I?m thinking of getting the X5M, but this is exactly my fear. That I?ll be at a stoplight and when the light turns green that a damn Tesla will smoke me :-(

An electric car feels like cheating vs an ICE.

It kind a

Back