Tesla Model Y

once money isn't an issue, I"m seriously considering a cyber truck if the no paint, pure metal (or just a clear boat) finish is available)

so I dont' have to worry about paint chip and dings, as my current car is very prong to them .... :p

I do not think the 7 seater Y will be effective. The X 6 or 7 seater is already cramped in the rear 2 seats. 

They should really make a Model V (van). Otherwise get an Arrival and pimp it out.

arrival-electric-delivery-van.jpg

irvinehomeowner said:
So does anyone know someone who got their Y?

Maybe I'll just wait until they start leasing it like the 3.

I know someone that got one. I want to trade one of my Teslas for a Y because of power lift gate and hatchback. I'm not foolish with my money though so I probably will drive this car into it's death. I drove my last SUV for 15 years before getting my Tesla.

If I had the choice between the 3 and the Y back then I would have got a Y for sure. Maybe when the carpool sticker on one of my cars expires I'll consider trading for it.

Wasn't there an article on a bad bumper/trunk design on the Y...if you get into a rear fender bender, the whole trunk/lift gate may need to be replaced/fixed making it more expensive, whereas if the its only the bumper its cheaper to fix.  Does that go into your consideration into buying a Y?  I'm not interested in the Y, but just wondering about others who are considering the Y if this deters them.

akkord said:
Wasn't there an article on a bad bumper/trunk design on the Y...if you get into a rear fender bender, the whole trunk/lift gate may need to be replaced/fixed making it more expensive, whereas if the its only the bumper its cheaper to fix.  Does that go into your consideration into buying a Y?  I'm not interested in the Y, but just wondering about others who are considering the Y if this deters them.

I mean... if it's a rear fender bender.. then the other guy would have to pay for the repair, unless the ass hole is uninsured.

then maybe consider an insurance plan with less premium.

iacrenter said:
irvinehomeowner said:
That's what insurance is for. :)

Isn't insurance for Tesla models more expensive than their luxury ICE counterpart?

It's more expensive if you look at national average. But it's because of large price discrepancy between different insurance companies.

Tesla also started selling its own insurance last year (currently only available for Californians) at 20%-30% below national market average.

Tesla's new insurance also provides a rate discount on several portions of your overall premium based on your car?s level of autonomous driving capability.

Here's a good article on this subject
https://www.valuepenguin.com/tesla-car-insurance

irvinehomeowner said:
iacrenter said:
irvinehomeowner said:
That's what insurance is for. :)

Isn't insurance for Tesla models more expensive than their luxury ICE counterpart?

Probably. Not a current Tesla owner... maybe one of the TI ballers can answer that. :)

I'm paying about $2000 annually for 2 Teslas with a good driving record and no points. I don't think it's too bad. Even if ICE luxury cars were cheaper to insure they are way more expensive to maintain and fuel cost.

taking delivery tmr of a MSM Performance Y!
I've seen a blue one in irvine, haven't seen any MSM yet

i thought i was stuck with getting a 3, then elon got these Y's ready way ahead of schedule  ;D

back on topic regarding insurance
i was previously in a basic c300 (maybe $40k)

with covid-19 i was able adjust the miles driven to 5000/year so that helped alot
with the performance model y (almost $70k), my insurance went down about $60 every 6 months so I'll get a credit..
so i think it's a mix of less mileage with maybe good crash tests.. I'm a happy camper  ;D

Tweet out by Elon,

Oh, oh, good buy Testla. See you in TX.

@elonmusk
Frankly, this is the final straw. Tesla will now move its HQ and future programs to Texas/Nevada immediately. If we even retain Fremont manufacturing activity at all, it will be dependen on how Tesla is treated in the future. Tesla is the last carmaker left in CA.

I wouldn?t mind following them to Plano/Frisco/Prosper.  Weather sucks but people are way nicer and the new neighborhoods are pretty awesome.  The spec homes there (standing inventory) already include lots of good upgrades.  Property tax is high but but no crazy Mello.

It's good to have F-U money.  I think Musk is making a threat and the county will blink.  He has reasons to stay put too.

daedalus said:
It's good to have F-U money.  I think Musk is making a threat and the county will blink.  He has reasons to stay put too.

I don't think it is a empty threat. Musk has a history of knowingly doing things against his own pecuniary interest to make a point.

Back