Tesla Model Y

Without everything that has happened in the last few weeks/months,  having your only factory in Fremont is quite odd. The are having to shuttle workers from central California because most of their factory employees are priced out in the bay:https://www.protocol.com/silicon-valley-tech-shuttles.

I think we are a few years away from them moving manufacturing away from Fremont. Let's not forget that the China factory has just started and I'm not sure they manufacture anything else than the M3. The Berlin factory has not been built yet. Fremont manufactures all 4 Tesla models and for having visited the factory (I highly recommend it) they invested a lot of money in it.

Happiness said:
I don't think it is a empty threat. Musk has a history of knowingly doing things against his own pecuniary interest to make a point.

Not saying he wouldn't leave.  There are pros and cons.  He's on the cusp.  If the county walks it back I think he'll stay.  I don't think he wants his business HQs to be too geographically diverse.  He might be toying with the idea of moving everything to TX, but the space vehicle talent is largely in socal, so that's a big consideration. 

daedalus said:
Happiness said:
I don't think it is a empty threat. Musk has a history of knowingly doing things against his own pecuniary interest to make a point.

Not saying he wouldn't leave.  There are pros and cons.  He's on the cusp.  If the county walks it back I think he'll stay.  I don't think he wants his business HQs to be too geographically diverse.  He might be toying with the idea of moving everything to TX, but the space vehicle talent is largely in socal, so that's a big consideration.

So does that mean that he has a spot already lined up for his factory either in Nevada or TX? With permits and production line already ramped up and filing out cars and trucks? Or is it another charade because productions of cars not meeting expectations. Moving is not that quick like packing a luggage and jump on an airplane and off you go.

And perhaps the most important thing is, will TSTL stock drop tomorrow because of his tweets?

Tesla already has a presence in Nevada with the Gigafactory.

It would not be hard to set up something in Texas.

But I doubt Elon would close Fremont.

He has no problem making cars in tents.  I'm sure more than a few cities/states would roll out the red (green) carpet.  Pity the workers laboring in a tent in the heat and humidity of [insert non-CA name here].

The %u201Cheat and the humidity will kill the virus,,,,quickly%u201D said our geniuses fearless leader.

If that doesn%u2019t work quickly, let%u2019s flush Testla employees with Clorox bleach disinfectants, so the productions will not short this quarter and next.

Make Testla Great Again  :) :)

akkord said:
How many miles is $5k worth of supercharging...that's the trade off.

I did some quick research:
- The charging efficiency of the SuperCharger looks to be around 90% (it takes 100kW to charge the car 90kW).
- Pricing is between $0.32 to $0.36 per kW in Cali (https://electrek.co/2019/01/18/tesla-increases-supercharger-prices/)
- The 2020 Tesla Model S Performance has a 98kWh battery and 348mi range  (Tesla) or 222mi (Car and Driver).https://www.caranddriver.com/review...an-turbo-s-vs-2020-tesla-model-s-performance/

$0.32/kW
With $5k your can buy 15,625kW at $0.32, it takes ~108kW to fully charge the S so 145 full charges.
$5k buys you 50,460mi best case (with Tesla advertised range) or 32,190mi worst case (with Car and Driver tested range).

$0.36/kW
With $5k your can buy 13,889kW at $0.36, it takes ~108kW to fully charge the S so 129 full charges.
$5k buys you 44,892mi best case (with Tesla advertised range) or 28,638mi worst case (with Car and Driver tested range).

Hopefully I didn't make a fool of myself with the math  :eek:

Math looks very close.  Units are Kw-H, not Kw.  I don't know what Tesla charges per kw-h, but I know on nights and weekends I pay about 1/2 those rates with SCE.  My wife's work also has chargers that work out to about the same as what I pay at home.  Though, keep in mind this is Level 2 charging (~6-7 kw), not supercharging, so it would take longer to charge.  Then add in another 10% to the miles for the tax you don't have to pay on the $5k price drop.    I see > 100,000 miles at the rates I'm paying.  I might be down with some kind of ludicrousperformance model at some point in the future.

Tesla Model Y is now eligible for their referral program. 1,000 free super charger miles to the referrer and the person referred.
https://electrek.co/2020/06/09/tesla-adds-model-y-referral-program-weak-demand/

My Model Y should be delivered in the next few weeks. LR AWD, but declined the FSD as $7k seems steep for something I'm unlikely to use much. I was also able to secure a 2.24% interest rate via Tesla Financing (Chase Bank).

PM me if you need a referral  :)

I heard that some sales centers have a Model Y to test drive. Everything that I've read and seen (on Youtube) say that the car is awesome!

irvinehomeowner said:
I just want to ride in one to see how it "fits" before I order one. :)

Just order one. You have 7 days to return for full money back.

Either way I love my Teslas so much I still get joyful getting into my car.

I took delivery of my Model Y a few days ago and so far, it has been everything I imagined and more.

The size is ideal for me. With a little one on the way, we needed a car with a lot of trunk space and a roomie cabin. The Model Y's spaciousness is pleasantly surprising. Really good leg room in the back easily fitting a tall adult and the trunk is HUGE. Not to mention extra space in the frunk as well. Design and technology are typical Tesla.

The drawback for Tesla continues to be build quality and customer service. I have 5 issues that need to be fixed at the service center in a couple weeks. Certain panels don't align, there are painted over dust specks in some areas, and the interior cabin wasn't as clean as it should be. Tesla employees aren't the easiest to work with. I had a faulty charging cable which I spent an hour troubleshooting. I called the Costa Mesa location and they said no problem, just bring it in to swap out. I did that and got a different employee who told me that I'm using it wrong. After 10 minutes of testing, he finally swapped it out. At any other car dealership, they swap out a faulty part and apologize. At Tesla, they assume you're dumb unless you can prove your claim.

At the end of the day, the technology, design, comfort, and usability are incredible. That trumps the poor customer service - but they're going to need to fix that as more competitors emerge. They have one on the Costa Mesa sales center floor so if you're interested, you should drop in and check it out. PM me if you need a referral code for 1,000 free super charging miles.

u8wo65fh9d751.jpg

Back