Tesla Model Y

There's literally no reason to pre-order. When I pre-ordered, I locked in a price that was $1,500 lower than what it was selling for at time of delivery. So, I felt pretty good about the pre-order. But, they're now selling it for effectively $1,500 less than what I paid as an early adopter. Oh well...

Cars like TVs like Solar systems get cheaper every year.
Whodathunk...

my 2019 solar system could have been bought for $3500 cheaper from tesla in 2020.

Much like 65" tvs are now going for $900 bucks?

One would think with all this money printing shit would get more expensive.

Checked the Tesla forum on solar reviews, it?s less than stellar, more like down right cursing the support staffs. Cheaper may not always better.

Anybody curious about the Ford Mach-e as a Model Y competitor?

My biggest concern getting in right now is how fast EVs keep improving year over year. You don't really get that with ICEs anymore but if I'm going to pay $40K+ on a car I'd like it to be relevant in 2 years. Or maybe I'm looking at the issue the wrong way.

zubs said:
One would think with all this money printing shit would get more expensive.

Prices are controlled by supply and demand. Demand for a Model Y / Solar System won't skyrocket because a factory can keep pumping out 100k units / quarter while those that already got a vehicle or Solar are no longer in the market for one.

That's why prices have skyrocketed for housing/land and stocks. There is limited supply and once you buy something it's off the market.

Inflation no longer has much effect on everyday items unless there is a shortage. Inflation hits assets that are expected to go up in value. Also see record prices for rookie trading cards, art, etc.

marmott said:
Anybody curious about the Ford Mach-e as a Model Y competitor?

My biggest concern getting in right now is how fast EVs keep improving year over year. You don't really get that with ICEs anymore but if I'm going to pay $40K+ on a car I'd like it to be relevant in 2 years. Or maybe I'm looking at the issue the wrong way.

I seriously considered the Mach-e. I felt Ford had Tesla beat when it comes to customer service and the terms were going to be much better (price, rebate, financing, etc). That said, Tesla is the established market leader and I know the car is going to be reliable for the long-term. I can't say the same for the Mach-e. It may have the same fate as the Chevy Bolt or the Cadillac ELR.

Having an engineering background i always use data and metrics to drive large purchasing decisions. I was by no means a Tesla fan, but the more data I gathered it was clear Tesla had a virtual monopoly on the best technology at every step of the supply chain - it's not even close. A good metric to gauge the impact is this ranking of EV "efficiency". You need to go to page 7 to find another production car that approaches the specs of the M3 - aside from other Tesla models. The Taycan and Audi models were near the bottom. The I-Pace is 1500 lbs heavier due to inferior technology (primarily battery).
https://ev-database.org/compare/efficiency-electric-vehicle-most-efficient#sort:path~type~order=.efficiency~number~asc|range-slider-range:prev~next=0~1200|range-slider-acceleration:prev~next=2~23|range-slider-topspeed:prev~next=110~450|range-slider-battery:prev~next=10~200|range-slider-eff:prev~next=100~300|range-slider-fastcharge:prev~next=0~1500|paging:currentPage=0|paging:number=9

irvinehomeowner said:
Oh it's over now... Tesla now starting to lease Model Y:
https://electrek.co/2020/07/19/tesla-launches-model-y-leases-starts-at-499-per-month/

Tesla is launching leases for Model Y in order to increase demand for the electric SUV.

Things have been moving fast for Tesla with Model Y.

With Model 3, Tesla didn?t launch leases until August 2019 ? 2 years after starting production of the new vehicle.

Looks like I'm going to Costa Mesa. :)

I can see the justification of leasing a Y when you have a long commute, and gas prices creeping upward. But, if you can work from home, it would not get much use. So a kinda waste.

What is the resale drop in values for the first two years? Anyone crunches the number for Tesla?

best_potsticker_in_town said:
Average residual after 3 years per KBB is about 52% for Tesla. They hold their value really well.

That's actually really bad for a lease because Tesla does not offer any incentives / dealer discount.

I remember leasing a vehicle with 70% residual, 10% dealer discount and 12% manufacturer rebates. Net depreciation: 8%.

Tesla leases are terrible because there is no purchase option. I sold my last lease to Vroom because it was worth a few thousand more than the 58% residual in the lease...

I see leases differently.

I look at how much I'm paying for the vehicle I'm driving. If at the end of the lease, a purchase looks good then I'll consider it, but usually I just re-lease again because the newer models will have more features I like.

I realize most people prefer to buy and then have no more payments, but I like to have the latest and greatest... so I lease.

irvinehomeowner said:
I see leases differently.

I look at how much I'm paying for the vehicle I'm driving. If at the end of the lease, a purchase looks good then I'll consider it, but usually I just re-lease again because the newer models will have more features I like.

I realize most people prefer to buy and then have no more payments, but I like to have the latest and greatest... so I lease.

When the residual and/or money factor suck, it makes leasing less favorable.  For example, Porsche has a horrible money factor on their leases so I just end up buying and selling the cars instead of leasing them.

Tesla having 0 fed tax credit hurts especially when leasing.

A competitor like, BMW, usually puts the entire $7500 fed tax credit as cap reduction.

You're leasing approx 45% of the cars value on a 3 year lease.

So for a 50k car, you're paying about 22.5k for the lease.

7.5k tax credit reduces the cost of the lease by 33%. (But only reduces 15% of cost when purchasing)

This makes leasing a Telsa much less appealing.

Just so you know, there is no requirement to use the Fed tax credit to reduce the capitalized cost when leasing.

That is why it's usually better to buy than lease for EVs... unless, like Kenkoko said, the leasing company (usually the maker) rolls that savings into the lease.

Since there is no more Fed credit for Tesla, then leasing vs purchase is the same as any non-EV car and then you have to compare the numbers such as residual and money factor.

But then, those things become less important when you compare the cost of leasing comparable cars for the same time period if the intent is not to buy out the lease at the end. You should put as little upfront money into the lease as possible... which I need to look into because so far it looks like $4500 is the lowest you can put in although when I was looking at the X and the 3, you can lower that amount down to $500.

For $4500 downpayment, isn?t there $2000 refund? I may be wrong, but I think that?s what I saw from their website.

Mety said:
For $4500 downpayment, isn?t there $2000 refund? I may be wrong, but I think that?s what I saw from their website.
That $2k could be the California rebate which is income limited

Yeah you get a $2k rebate from CA - a check in the mail, not a tax credit. You also get $1k from SoCal Edison.

I would suggest buying a Tesla. The terms that Tesla offers (money factor, down payment, etc) are not favorable at all. After 3 years, you'll still be able to get good value when you sell. Just think of it as a lease.

Back