Tesla Cybertruck

Soylent Green Is People said:
A good look at a likely production model - From Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_0M0EVm5OI

My money is still on Rivian or Ford's Lightning to conquer the truck market. We'll see....

Guarantee in Irvine we'll see 3x more Cybertrucks vs. Rivians and Fords.  If Tesla can hold the $39.9k starting price for 250mi range, I bet they'll sell a bunch.  Seems like they won't be able to though.

Soylent Green Is People said:
An odd story:

The Cybertruck's main competitor - Rivian - wants to buy the vacant South Coast Cinema's theater in Laguna Beach, current price $12,000,000 - renovate the historic building, and turn it into a showroom/working theater.

Pretty bold for a company who has sold zero vehicles. Their VC money must be sloshing around with nowhere to go.

https://stunewslaguna.com/index.php/2-uncategorised/14960-planning-commission-to-hear-proposal-080420

Thoughts?

My .02c

2much cash no where to spend it.
Might as well turn it into property that will go up with time.

The wiper will hopefully be tucked deeper into the window well and not be visible. Reminds me of an early 2000's MBZ windshield wiper design. Theirs came up from the bottom, not out from the side. I like "weird cars" and wish more manufacturers would take more chances with design. The CT will probably more of a head turner than a high volume selling vehicle. We'll see.

1m reservations... I think it will be a volume sell.

I think all the brands are missing out on an opportunity here... to me, the truck architecture would seem to be the easiest to convert to EV if you don't worry about weight/towing capacity because let's face it... there is a high percentage of people out there who don't use trucks as a truck.

Take your midsize truck, use the below bed space for the batteries... replace the ICE drivetrain with electric motors, don't worry about range because this audience isn't going to be long hauling in a truck and beat everyone to market. All the current truck makers should have a lead for this. Take the Ford Maverick Hybrid, sold out everywhere and asking $5k to $10k over MSRP... the buyers are waiting.

I put all my hopes into the CT and I don't think it's going to start at $40k... maybe just under $80k if people are paying over $100k for R1Ts and Lightnings.

And the CT probably won't come out until mid/end of 2023.

I should have put a reservation on the Lightning but I wanted something different... now I'm regretting it because I can't even reserve a 2023 (which they increased about $7k).

Maybe I'll get lucky with the Silverado EV (I did reserve that one).

I've been actively looking for a Lightning locally and every dealer wants at least $20k markup. Crazy.

Tesla is letting you spend your referral points on tickets to the Cybertruck delivery event in Austin.

If any of you guys get them I'll be your +1 !

The chaser: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/0...quality-shows-up-like-a-sore-thumb-musk-says/

ConcreteBestArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif

His numbers are ridiculous. 1mm is .040". 10 microns is .0004", which is a challenging tolerance for small CNC-machined metal parts, and a completely ridiculous tolerance for stamped sheet metal body panels. I mean, you can design anything to .000000001" if you want to, but you can't actually make it. And unless every single bolt hole is only .0001" larger than the bolt going through it, what's the point?

A 40" steel body panel will grow by .001" if the temp changes by 1 degree C, or 2.5x his stated allowed tolerance.

Back