Tarriffs/Trade War

I recently bid out a project to replace and fabricate the main fuel tanks on my boat.  First guy claimed "due to aluminum tariffs" he had to charge 20% more for the raw sheets.  Two other fabricators laughed and underbid him by half saying he didn't know what he was talking about, They had seen no appreciable increase in sheet prices due to tariffs.  I don't think a lot of people have good information.

morekaos said:
I recently bid out a project to replace and fabricate the main fuel tanks on my boat.  First guy claimed "due to aluminum tariffs" he had to charge 20% more for the raw sheets.  Two other fabricators laughed and underbid him by half saying he didn't know what he was talking about, They had seen no appreciable increase in sheet prices due to tariffs.  I don't think a lot of people have good information.

That?s good for you that you got a good deal. But people ordering products from China the tariff fee has increased.

Other countries that compete with China for business in the USA are loving trump.
Trumps strategy is to make those smaller countries stronger so they can buffer the big guy.

zubs said:
Other countries that compete with China for business in the USA are loving trump.
Trumps strategy is to make those countries stronger so they can buffer the big guy.

They are next in line.  ;)

That's part of my point.  If you do business specifically from china you are gonna be covered.  Source elsewhere and you can avoid them. They are targeted and don't kid yourself...they hurt China.  Just look at their stock market, its in a free fall while ours hits new highs every day.  That little factoid get NO press.  This little war hurts them way more then it hurts us.  We will win in the end.

If I get time later this week , I will type up an educational piece to clear out all the cobwebs on this topic

Stay tuned and ignore the creepy purple font in the meantime :)

morekaos said:

or the first guy tried to pull a fast one on you

True, although he was a large, well known tank manufacturer with a pretty good reputation. My point is that information about these tariffs and their actual effect at the consumer level and on the economy as whole are badly mis-understood by the general public. 

please stop, mr. president...i can't handle all this winning!  canada caved at the last minute and didn't want to be left out....who saw that coming?  art of the deal, folks!

Canada, US confirm new deal with Mexico updating NAFTA

The United States and Canada confirmed Sunday they had reached a deal on a "new, modernized trade agreement," which is designed to replace the 1994 NAFTA pact.

In a joint statement the two nations said the new deal would be called the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA).

"Late last night, our deadline, we reached a wonderful new Trade Deal with Canada, to be added into the deal already reached with Mexico," Trump tweeted. "The new name will be The United States Mexico Canada Agreement, or USMCA. It is a great deal for all three countries, solves the many deficiencies and mistakes in NAFTA, greatly opens markets to our Farmers and Manufacturers, reduce Trade Barriers to the U.S. and will bring all three Great Nations closer together in competition with the rest of the world. The USMCA is a historic transaction!"

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/us-canada-likely-to-conclude-nafta-talks-this-weekend-report

Dow jumps more than 150 points after the US and Canada secure a deal to replace NAFTA

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/01/us-markets-us-and-canada-trade-deal-economic-data-eyed.html

morekaos said:
True, although he was a large, well known tank manufacturer with a pretty good reputation. My point is that information about these tariffs and their actual effect at the consumer level and on the economy as whole are badly mis-understood by the general public. 

What is misunderstood exactly?

Almost everything is made in China, especially electronics and mass produced consumer goods.

People that I know who buy from China have been informed that due to "tariffs", the cost of their items will go up x%. Whether that x% is nominal or not, it still makes the point that buying from China just got more expensive.

Is that the misunderstanding?

This is the same as the Mexican deal which I already explained in an earlier post , was barely changed from before . And I didnt do it by copying and pasting links but walking through it  step by step .

Tailor made for MAGA rubes to high five and trump to declare a ?win? so his cheerleaders can keep posting on such forums

The real problem is China and what happens there

Wow this press conference ? For all the dumb things Trump has said, the suggestion that the Great Depression was caused by a lack of tariffs and was subsequently cured by tariffs might be one of the most historically illiterate things that's ever come out of his mouth. And that's really saying something.

eyephone said:
No money for the wall again.

His supporters don?t care, as long as Trump is wrecking stuff and freaking out the libs, they love him. They?ll be cheering as the planet explodes :) 

ever wonder why you can get a usb cable for $0.99 all the way from china?  china has no answer for this one since it's a one-way street.  this is how you hit them where it hurts!

Trump Opens New Front in His Battle With China: International Shipping

WASHINGTON ? President Trump plans to withdraw from a 144-year-old postal treaty that has allowed Chinese companies to ship small packages to the United States at a steeply discounted rate, undercutting American competitors and flooding the market with cheap consumer goods.

The withdrawal, announced by the White House on Wednesday, is part of a concerted push by Mr. Trump to counter China?s dominance and punish it for what the administration says is a pattern of unfair trade practices. The White House, in a statement, said ?sufficient progress has not been made on reforming terms? of the postal treaty and that it would begin the withdrawal process while seeking to ?negotiate bilateral and multilateral agreements that resolve the problems.?

The Universal Postal Union treaty, first drafted in 1874, sets fees that national postal services charge to deliver mail and small parcels to countries around the world. Since 1969, poor and developing countries ? including China ? have been assessed lower rates than wealthier countries in Europe and North America.

While the lower rates were intended to foster development in Asia and Africa, Chinese companies now make up about 60 percent of packages shipped into the country, taking advantage of the lower rates to ship clothing, household gadgets and consumer electronics. Many websites now offer free shipping from China, in part because of the cheap postal rates, administration officials say.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/17/us/politics/trump-china-shipping.html

The market, ultimitly and as always, is the arbiter of success.

Trump trade war: U.S. stock market is faring better than China's since dispute began

China has more to lose

Chinese exports to the U.S., measured in dollars, outnumber incoming American goods to China by a 3 to 1 margin. Remember, nearly 70 percent of the U.S. economy is driven by domestic spending by consumers. China, which is running a $280 billion trade surplus with the U.S, according to data from financial firm Stifel, can't risk losing too much of its American business, Wall Street pros say.

"The U.S. is a customer of size with buying power that is hard to replace," says John Stoltzfus, chief investment strategist at Oppenheimer Asset Management.

And although tariffs could cause prices for consumer products ranging from cars to washing machines to rise, "the U.S. does not need China as much as China needs the U.S.," says Barry Bannister, head of institutional equity strategy at Stifel.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/07/26/stock-market-says-u-s-winning-trade-war/832596002/

morekaos said:
The market, ultimitly and as always, is the arbiter of success.

Trump trade war: U.S. stock market is faring better than China's since dispute began

China has more to lose

Chinese exports to the U.S., measured in dollars, outnumber incoming American goods to China by a 3 to 1 margin. Remember, nearly 70 percent of the U.S. economy is driven by domestic spending by consumers. China, which is running a $280 billion trade surplus with the U.S, according to data from financial firm Stifel, can't risk losing too much of its American business, Wall Street pros say.

"The U.S. is a customer of size with buying power that is hard to replace," says John Stoltzfus, chief investment strategist at Oppenheimer Asset Management.

And although tariffs could cause prices for consumer products ranging from cars to washing machines to rise, "the U.S. does not need China as much as China needs the U.S.," says Barry Bannister, head of institutional equity strategy at Stifel.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/07/26/stock-market-says-u-s-winning-trade-war/832596002/

the chinese are a very proud people. unfortunately, that will be their demise in this trade war and i wouldn't be surprised if they slip into major recession from holding out too long on jumping ship.

China stocks plunge amid heavy selling in the energy sector and growing worries about the economy

Chinese stocks fell sharply on Thursday as heavy selling in the energy sector and worries about the levels of borrowing in the stock market added to broader concerns over growth and the global sell-off in equities.
The Shanghai Composite index closed down 2.9 percent at 2,486.42, after hitting its lowest point since November 2014 on Thursday morning.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/18/china-stocks-plunge-amidheavy-selling-in-the-energy-sector-and-growing-worries-about-the-economy.html

US economy showing momentum as leading indicators rise for 12th straight month in September

September marked the 12th straight month of gains for The Conference Board?s index, which takes into account building permits, the ISM index of new orders and stock prices.
?The US LEI improved further in September, suggesting the US business cycle remains on a strong growth trajectory heading into 2019,? says Ataman Ozyildirim, director and global chair at The Conference Board.
Ozyildirim also notes economic growth could top 3.5 percent in the second half of this year, but ?unless the momentum in housing, orders and stock prices accelerates, that pace is unlikely to be sustained in 2019.?

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/18/leading-indicators-september.html

Who's your daddy now?
https://youtu.be/7TSEaOEU9D4

https://youtu.be/7TSEaOEU9D4

Back