Tarriffs/Trade War

eyephone said:
Are they going to pay for the Wall like he promised while campaigning?

The economic benefits from the US/Mexico trade pact cover the full cost of the wall.  Thank you Mexico!

ChtuyP0VEAQZlY1.jpg

Trump supporters still have no idea what actually was signed

They just want to claim a ?deal? and high five so their brains can continue on the happy MAGA journey unfettered by reality ? you know posting in 25 size font in purple is really therapeutic  :)

But no one can still explain why Mexico is so eager to jump on and sign this deal (Hint: it is good for them) . I will explain in detail  once any of these economic experts here write a few lines of original thought rather than copying and pasting headlines .

Do you file this under #winning or #whatever?

WASHINGTON, Aug 29 (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump has signed proclamations permitting targeted relief from steel and aluminum quotas from some countries, the U.S. Commerce Department said on Wednesday.

Trump, who put in place tariffs on steel and aluminum imports in March, signed proclamations allowing relief from the quotas on steel from South Korea, Brazil and Argentina and on aluminum from Argentina, the department said in a statement.

"Companies can apply for product exclusions based on insufficient quantity or quality available from U.S. steel or aluminum producers," the statement said. "In such cases, an exclusion from the quota may be granted and no tariff would be owed."

Trump, citing national security concerns, placed tariffs of 25 percent on steel imports and 10 percent on aluminum imports.

The tariffs on steel and aluminum imports from the European Union, Canada and Mexico took effect on June 1, and Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said on May 31 that arrangements had been made with some countries to have non-tariff limits on their exports of the two metals to the United States.

Ross said the arrangement with South Korea was for a quota of 70 percent of average steel exports to the United States in the years 2015 to 2017.

The Brazilian government said at the time the U.S. quotas and tariffs on Brazil's steel and aluminum exports were unjustified but that it remained open to negotiate a solution.

Brazilian semi-finished steel exports to the United States are subject to quotas based on the average for the three years from 2015-2017, while finished steel products will be limited to a quota of 70 percent of the average for those years. (Reporting by David Alexander; Editing by Sandra Maler and Peter Cooney)
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/29/reu...teel-aluminum-quotas-commerce-department.html

fortune11 said:
Trump supporters still have no idea what actually was signed

They just want to claim a ?deal? and high five so their brains can continue on the happy MAGA journey unfettered by reality ? you know posting in 25 size font in purple is really therapeutic  :)

But no one can still explain why Mexico is so eager to jump on and sign this deal (Hint: it is good for them) . I will explain in detail  once any of these economic experts here write a few lines of original thought rather than copying and pasting headlines .

I haven't read all 2,000 pages of the agreement, but the things that stick out to me are:

1. 75% domestic sourcing for automobile parts.
2. Clear definitions of what domestic sourcing means

These two things close a back door loophole that China has been exploiting for years.  They can no longer flood North America with cheap parts manufactured by slave labor.

Mexico is happy because they have just elected a populist president and it counts as a win for him as well.  Their existing manufacturing won't be dismantled with this agreement.  There are wage requirements that help both countries, so not only has Mexico saved jobs, but they will be higher paying jobs.  Yet the incentive going forward will be for manufacturers to open up shop in the US and not to head South in search of cheaper labor costs.

Nobody claimed that Mexico had to lose in order for the US to win as your comment insinuates.

Stick w data and less sermonizing when explaining the new trade deal . I am sure your mortgage clients prefer you focus on numbers when packaging them as opposed to waxing eloquent about the beautiful par coupon

Original content is 75 percent mandate now , right .

What was it before ?

How many cars are actually affected by this change ?

The devil is in the details which no cult member wants to pay attention to .

fortune11 said:
Stick w data and less sermonizing when explaining the new trade deal . I am sure your mortgage clients prefer you focus on numbers when packaging them as opposed to waxing eloquent about the beautiful par coupon

What was it before ?

Feel free to post your analysis.

Liar Loan said:
fortune11 said:

What was it before ?

Explain I will .

But you finally admit that you don?t have a clue here but were happy to copy and paste the first headline you carme across claiming victory for trump ?

Right ?  Kinda like your ?bond bubble ? theory 

fortune11 said:
Liar Loan said:
fortune11 said:

What was it before ?

Explain I will .

But you finally admit that you don?t have a clue here but were happy to copy and paste the first headline you carme across claiming victory for trump ?

The burden is on you to make your point.

Liar Loan said:
fortune11 said:
Liar Loan said:
fortune11 said:

What was it before ?

Explain I will .

Don?t dodge the question

You were the first one to sing praises on how great the trump deal was and how good a negotiator he was

Shouldn?t the burden be on you to prove it ?

I am just trying to expose your scam

I know the deal is not that ?big of a deal? and I will explain why before the day is over but I want to make sure everyone who is reading this thread sees what?s going on first.

This is similar to your previous claim of a ?bond bubble? that you very quietly slunk away from :)

fortune11 said:
Liar Loan said:
fortune11 said:
Liar Loan said:
fortune11 said:

What was it before ?

Explain I will .

Don?t dodge the question

You were the first one to sing praises on how great the trump deal was and how good a negotiator he was

I know the deal is not that ?big of a deal? and I will explain why before the day is over but I want to make sure everyone who is reading this thread sees what?s going on first.

This is similar to your previous claim of a ?bond bubble? that you very quietly slunk away from :)

You're just trying to bait me with trollish posts.  Sorry, I won't be wasting further time with you.

fortune11 said:
Liar Loan said:
fortune11 said:

What was it before ?

Explain I will .

I briefly read it. Nothing about an invoice for the wall.  ;)

Liar Loan said:
fortune11 said:
Liar Loan said:
fortune11 said:
Don?t dodge the question

You're just trying to bait me with trollish posts.  Sorry, I won't be wasting further time with you.

Once again .... Projection , thy name is MAGA

your John McCain thread is a classic example of trolling

Think this requires a look at just how these "tariffs" are calculated and how they are targeted.

Why Trump's Tariffs Won't Cost Consumers a Nickel

Tariffs aren?t imposed on the final retail price the way a sales tax is. They are also not imposed on the wholesale price. They are not even imposed on what the importer pays at the dock when the goods enter the U.S.  The duties are imposed on an even lower price than that ? and that?s a scandal in itself.

Let?s say Black & Decker wants to sell a line of toaster ovens with a $60 retail price in the U.S.  It goes to a Hong Kong middleman who deals with Chinese manufacturers. The Hong King middleman pays his cousin at a Chinese toaster oven factory $10 for toaster ovens. Black & Decker agrees to pay the Hong Kong middleman $20 for the toaster ovens, and picks them up off the boat in Long Beach, Calif.

Let?s say there?s a 10 percent tariff on toaster ovens from China. (There isn?t.)  The tariff would only be $1 because it?s calculated on what the Hong Kong middleman (says he) paid his cousin at the toaster factory ? the first sale -- not what Black & Decker pays to take delivery at the port ? what?s known in the jargon of the trade world as the last sale.

As a result of this accounting flim-flam, Hong Kong middlemen and the importers who love them are getting rich while taxpayers are getting hosed for untold billions of dollars the U.S. Treasury is not collecting.

When the U.S. moved to assess duties on the last-sale price, the import lobby screamed bloody murder and Congress killed the proposal. For the record, every other country calculates tariffs on the last-sale price.

The Trump tariffs are designed to inflict maximum damage on China while sparing American businesses and consumers. For the most part, they don?t target consumer goods. Rather, they are aimed at component parts American companies use to assemble finished products.

So, if a particular component constitutes one-tenth of the cost of the finished product, a 10-percent tariff on that component amounts to, at most, 1 percent (10 percent of one-tenth) of the product?s wholesale cost ? and probably far less, because of the first-sale rule (see above).  And since wholesale is roughly half of retail, we?re looking at cost difference of one-half of one percent (0.5 percent).

The wholesaler, retailer, importer or foreign manufacturer may well choose to offset the tiny cost increase rather than pass it on.

And here?s the beauty part, how the tariffs are designed to hurt China: The Trump tariffs target items available from sources outside China.  Buy from a supplier outside China, avoid the tariff.

President Trump?s surgical strike tariffs are sending companies a clear message: Do business anywhere but China. 

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2018/09/25/why_trumps_tariffs_wont_cost_consumers_a_nickel_138158.html

Back