Stafford at Greenwood

GH said:
Irvinecommuter said:
GH said:
Irvinecommuter said:
GH said:
What are the private school(s) option in the Irvine area ?  Only ones I know of is the Crean Lutheran and another Lutheran school in Red Hill (Tustin).  Are these academically at par or better than IUSD ?  Costa Mesa or RSM is way too inconvenient to drop off/pickup.

Mater Dei is in SA.  A lot of private school proponents are all about personal attention and low student to staff ratio.  I think that is a valid point if your kid requires extra attention but most kids can do fine in a standard classroom with good family/community support.

too far (and traffic).  I actually thought Mater Dei is Costa Mesa, that's why I mentioned CM and RSM to rule out Mater Dei and Santa Margarita Catholic School.

Personally, I'm very turned off by some the ideologies promoted by the government in public schools and would prefer private schools if it is a feasible option.

I am afraid to ask but...what ideologies are you referring to?

I'd rather keep to myself .. don't want to sabotage this thread with off-topic discussion :)  Ideologies might not be the accurate term, but generally, I don't like government "brain-washing" kids (especially younger ones) to lean one-way or the other (left or right) on political and social issues that really has little to do with education.  This is just merely based on what I read and not really a first hand experience so I could be wrong.  But school should not be the battleground for these agendas and we should let kids decide for themselves where they grow older.

Well...my daughter goes to IUSD for K and I have seen nothing controversial...although Rainbow Fish seems a little too communistic to me ;)

It's hard to address your concerns without knowing what they are (not that you need them addressed) or how private schools are less "controversial" than public schools.  Most private schools are religious so more "polarizing" than public schools IMO.

irvinehomeowner said:
So since bones doesn't live in Irvine for the schools... why Irvine?

OpenSky wants to know!

No need to answer if it's too personal or oversharing... but I do find it interesting because I think I'm one of the few who chooses to live in Irvine even if I didn't have kids (and we sent our kids to private school past K).

#ForThePickUpBasketballGames

#tobeneighborswithIHOinPP #duh #whyaskwhy

Irvinecommuter said:
Swordfish said:
GH said:
What are the private school(s) option in the Irvine area ?  Only ones I know of is the Crean Lutheran and another Lutheran school in Red Hill (Tustin).  Are these academically at par or better than IUSD ?  Costa Mesa or RSM is way too inconvenient to drop off/pickup.

We are seriously considering Fairmont in North Tustin. Not because our daughter needs "extra attention" but because we want to put her in the best position to be accepted into a top college.

I am not intimating that your daughter does need the extra attention, just that small class size/personalized attention are most valuable to those who do.  I am sure your daughter will do well no matter where she goes. 

I think you're underestimating the competitiveness of IUSD schools...especially places like Northwood and University High.

If your ultimate goal is a top college then IUSD or private schools are not the answer. As IHS has posted numerous times, you are better off being in a less competitive public school district. It is better to be at the top of your class and having taken a higher % of the AP classes. A resource poor school with less Asians is an easier way to achieve those goals.

Better yet, have some babies with QWERTY and all your kids will be going to Harvard.

iacrenter said:
If your ultimate goal is a top college then IUSD or private schools are not the answer. As IHS has posted numerous times, you are better off being in a less competitive public school district. It is better to be at the top of your class and having taken a higher % of the AP classes. A resource poor school with less Asians is an easier way to achieve those goals.

Better yet, have some babies with QWERTY and all your kids will be going to Harvard.

Depends on what private schools.  The prep schools on the east coast are feeders to the Ivys.  Locally, for example, Sage Hill in NB does pretty well.  Graduating class of ~125.  More than 10% get into the Ivys+MIT+S.  Their class of 2013 had 2 Harvard admits.

iacrenter said:
But your kid might get a shiv. :)
This seems safest... and your kid always has a plan B... landscape engineer.

iacrenter said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Swordfish said:
GH said:

We are seriously considering Fairmont in North Tustin. Not because our daughter needs "extra attention" but because we want to put her in the best position to be accepted into a top college.

I am not intimating that your daughter does need the extra attention, just that small class size/personalized attention are most valuable to those who do.  I am sure your daughter will do well no matter where she goes. 

I think you're underestimating the competitiveness of IUSD schools...especially places like Northwood and University High.

Irvine is a nice place to live and raise a family.  Lots of parks.. easy on the eyes.. and a system of control.  Sure the FCBs are mainly buying for the schools.. but there is a lifestyle difference out there that is worth a premium. 

jmoney74 said:
Irvine is a nice place to live and raise a family.  Lots of parks.. easy on the eyes.. and a system of control.  Sure the FCBs are mainly buying for the schools.. but there is a lifestyle difference out there that is worth a premium. 

Not just the FCBs dude.  EVERYONE and their mother around here are always yapping about how GREAT the schools are.  Even if they have no first hand experience. 

iacrenter said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Swordfish said:
GH said:

Yup.

The options if you want your kid to get into a good school or free ride because the competition shouldn't be that tough: send them to a high school in Santa Ana or Tustin High (or any low performing high school)

If your kid is really ambitious or genius the options are:move to Cerritos and hopefully they can get into Whitney, or move to Cypress and hopefully they can get into Oxford. 

bones said:
iacrenter said:

Depends on what private schools.  The prep schools on the east coast are feeders to the Ivys.  Locally, for example, Sage Hill in NB does pretty well.  Graduating class of ~125.  More than 10% get into the Ivys+MIT+S.  Their class of 2013 had 2 Harvard admits.

Yeah, but this is orange county we're talking about here. I don't think there's a real OC feeder equivalent. Closest thing might be Harvard-Westlake in LA.

cmon guys, lets get this back on topic :)

this is what im talking about, eiza gonzalez.

Eiza-Gonz%C3%A1lez---z.jpg

nyc to oc said:
bones said:
iacrenter said:

Yeah, but this is orange county we're talking about here, not east coast elite prep/boarding schools. I don't think there's a real OC feeder equivalent. Closest thing might be Harvard-Westlake in LA.  I went to an elite east coast college and back then at least, most of the kids from Southern California were from the public schools.

Yea I know.  But that's why I brought up Sage.  They're pretty new to the private school game, opened up in the last 15 years or so.  And it sounds like they're trying to position themselves as the "OC feeder".  It does take time to build up a reputation to the east coast colleges...

The other aspect of this equation is what benefits your kid will get for going to an Ivy versus going a top level public school like Cal, UCLA, Michigan, Virginia, UNC?  In this era...not much. 

You're actually better off going to a slight lowered tier school like UCI or UCSD, getting a full ride, doing insanely well in college and go to a top notch grad school.  Alternatively, you go to a small time college...get great grades and get to know your professors for recommendations.

Irvinecommuter said:
The other aspect of this equation is what benefits your kid will get for going to an Ivy versus going a top level public school like Cal, UCLA, Michigan, Virginia, UNC?  In this era...not much.  You're actually better off going to a top tier school like UCI or UCSD, getting a full ride, doing insanely well in college and go to a top notch grad school.

What profession?

FARMMMMMIE said:
Irvinecommuter said:
The other aspect of this equation is what benefits your kid will get for going to an Ivy versus going a top level public school like Cal, UCLA, Michigan, Virginia, UNC?  In this era...not much.  You're actually better off going to a top tier school like UCI or UCSD, getting a full ride, doing insanely well in college and go to a top notch grad school.

What profession?

I would say...most professions outside of Engineering or CS, which you can get a job out of college.  But again, you don't need to go to an Ivy for those.

Certainly for Law, Medicine, research profession of any kind...business is a little trickier but all those schools I listed have tremendous business programs. 

Edit:  Accounting...but again...how much more does an accounting degree from Princeton get you vs one from Cal or UCLA...probably some but not as much as people believe.

Irvinecommuter said:
FARMMMMMIE said:
Irvinecommuter said:

What profession?

I would say...most professions outside of Engineering or CS, which you can get a job out of college.  But again, you don't need to go to an Ivy for those.

Certainly for Law, Medicine, research profession of any kind...business is a little trickier but all those schools I listed have tremendous business programs.

for certain kinds of business, I think it definitely makes it easier to get a serious look from recruiters if you come from a short list of schools, or already have an "in" by knowing someone. I don't think it matters so much for fields where a graduate/professional degree is necessary, such as medicine/law. 
http://www.theatlantic.com/business...-how-the-hiring-process-favors-elites/394166/

nyc to oc said:
Irvinecommuter said:
FARMMMMMIE said:
Irvinecommuter said:

What profession?

for certain kinds of business, I think it definitely makes it easier to get a serious look from recruiters if you come from a short list of schools, or already have an "in" by knowing someone. I don't think it matters so much for fields where a graduate/professional degree is necessary, such as medicine/law. 
http://www.theatlantic.com/business...-how-the-hiring-process-favors-elites/394166/

In a way it does matter, when I choose a doctor - I look where that person went to school.

eyephone said:
nyc to oc said:
Irvinecommuter said:
FARMMMMMIE said:
Irvinecommuter said:

What profession?

In a way it does matter, when I choose a doctor - I look where that person went to school.

Yes...but do colleges matter?  Would you choose a doctor who went to Harvard for college and then UCI for med school or a doctor who went to UCI for college and then Harvard for med school? 

Irvinecommuter said:
Edit:  Accounting...but again...how much more does an accounting degree from Princeton get you vs one from Cal or UCLA...probably some but not as much as people believe.

Well nothing bc Princeton doesn't offer an accounting degree. Accounting is like trade school. Not hoity toity enough for Princeton :)

bones said:
Irvinecommuter said:

Well nothing bc Princeton doesn't offer an accounting degree.

See how much I know about accounting?  But according to USN...the best accounting programs are mostly non-Ivy.  Only UPenn is in the top 10.
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/business-accounting

Back