Stafford at Greenwood

I haven't read all of the prior comments but I think Greenwood would need to be at a pretty substantial discount to sell to families.  Location is not very good...between the traffic of Jamboree and District, the planes flying overhead, and the gravel factory, there is a lot going against it.

If I was looking for a house right now, I would definitely put Beacon Park ahead of it.

Irvinecommuter said:
I haven't read all of the prior comments but I think Greenwood would need to be at a pretty substantial discount to sell to families.  Location is not very good...between the traffic of Jamboree and District, the planes flying overhead, and the gravel factory, there is a lot going against it.

If I was looking for a house right now, I would definitely put Beacon Park ahead of it.

Obviously it's subjective. Personally I think the location is way better than BP. To me, BP is out in the boonies. There's also nothing to do out there at great park. Even if we end up buying in Irvine we'd still send our kids to private school. I'm probably in the minority but IUSD isn't all that, at the end of the day it's still a public school. There are other way better choices.

pnau said:
Irvinecommuter said:

Obviously it's subjective. Personally I think the location is way better than BP. To me, BP is out in the boonies. There's also nothing to do out there at great park. Even if we end up buying in Irvine we'd still send our kids to private school. I'm probably in the minority but IUSD isn't all that, at the end of the day it's still a public school. There are other way better choices.

We are in the same minority :)  My kids go/will go to private school as well yet I pay a ton of Mello Roos each and every year.

pnau said:
Irvinecommuter said:

I know it's a highly personal choice but I don't see why one would pay tuition before college unless you are going to some Boston boarding school. Especially true when you have an alternative like IUSD.

Take the money and put it in a college/trust fund.  A good college doesn't even get you a good job anymore...take the savings to go to a decent but local school and get into the best grad school you can.

What are the private school(s) option in the Irvine area ?  Only ones I know of is the Crean Lutheran and another Lutheran school in Red Hill (Tustin).  Are these academically at par or better than IUSD ?  Costa Mesa or RSM is way too inconvenient to drop off/pickup.

GH said:
What are the private school(s) option in the Irvine area ?  Only ones I know of is the Crean Lutheran and another Lutheran school in Red Hill (Tustin).  Are these academically at par or better than IUSD ?  Costa Mesa or RSM is way too inconvenient to drop off/pickup.

Mater Dei is in SA.  A lot of private school proponents are all about personal attention and low student to staff ratio.  I think that is a valid point if your kid requires extra attention but most kids can do fine in a standard classroom with good family/community support. 

Irvinecommuter said:
GH said:

Mater Dei is in SA.  A lot of private school proponents are all about personal attention and low student to staff ratio.  I think that is a valid point if your kid requires extra attention but most kids can do fine in a standard classroom with good family/community support.

too far (and traffic).  I actually thought Mater Dei is Costa Mesa, that's why I mentioned CM and RSM to rule out Mater Dei and Santa Margarita Catholic School.

Personally, I'm very turned off by some the ideologies promoted by the government in public schools and would prefer private schools if it is a feasible option.

GH said:

We are seriously considering Fairmont in North Tustin. Not because our daughter needs "extra attention" but because we want to put her in the best position to be accepted into a top college.

GH said:
Irvinecommuter said:
GH said:

too far (and traffic).  I actually thought Mater Dei is Costa Mesa, that's why I mentioned CM and RSM to rule out Mater Dei and Santa Margarita Catholic School.

Personally, I'm very turned off by some the ideologies promoted by the government in public schools and would prefer private schools if it is a feasible option.

I am afraid to ask but...what ideologies are you referring to? 

GH said:
Irvinecommuter said:
GH said:

Too bad the government doesn't give vouchers to attend a private school.

GH said:

There's not many options in Irvine.  There's also TVT and a few of the montessoris go up to junior high I think.  If you expand to Tustin, you have Fairmont and a few others.

In terms of are they academically better?  Hard to say.  You'll need to tour and speak to current/past parents/students to get a feel.  If you are serious about the private school route, I highly suggest you tour a few of the IUSD elem schools prior to going on private school tours so you can compare the two.

Also, there are bus options for some of the private schools.  Obviously, it'll be based on demand.  But for example, there are buses that bring Newport Beach kids down to SJC daily for St. Margarets, etc.

eyephone said:
GH said:
Irvinecommuter said:
GH said:

Too bad the government doesn't give vouchers to attend a private school.

Good way to gut the public school system and hurt those who are in there.

Irvinecommuter said:
I know it's a highly personal choice but I don't see why one would pay tuition before college unless you are going to some Boston boarding school. Especially true when you have an alternative like IUSD.

Take the money and put it in a college/trust fund.  A good college doesn't even get you a good job anymore...take the savings to go to a decent but local school and get into the best grad school you can.

You're assuming all these things are mutually exclusive when they may not be. 

bones said:
Irvinecommuter said:

You're assuming all these things are mutually exclusive when they may not be.

True...not in the 0.1% income bracket.  But you are spending money on tuition that can be used for other uses...opportunity costs FTW!

Swordfish said:
GH said:

We are seriously considering Fairmont in North Tustin. Not because our daughter needs "extra attention" but because we want to put her in the best position to be accepted into a top college.

Irvinecommuter said:
GH said:
Irvinecommuter said:
GH said:

I am afraid to ask but...what ideologies are you referring to?

I'd rather keep to myself .. don't want to sabotage this thread with off-topic discussion :)  Ideologies might not be the accurate term, but generally, I don't like government "brain-washing" kids (especially younger ones) to lean one-way or the other (left or right) on political and social issues that really has little to do with education.  This is just merely based on what I read and not really a first hand experience so I could be wrong.  But school should not be the battleground for these agendas and we should let kids decide for themselves where they grow older.

So since bones doesn't live in Irvine for the schools... why Irvine?

OpenSky wants to know!

No need to answer if it's too personal or oversharing... but I do find it interesting because I think I'm one of the few who chooses to live in Irvine even if I didn't have kids (and we sent our kids to private school past K).

#ForThePickUpBasketballGames

Swordfish said:
GH said:

I am not intimating that your daughter does need the extra attention, just that small class size/personalized attention are most valuable to those who do.  I am sure your daughter will do well no matter where she goes. 

I think you're underestimating the competitiveness of IUSD schools...especially places like Northwood and University High.

Back