Shutters

Tribune said:
The Pacific windecor guy came and gave us an estimates yesterday.

But one odd thing was that he added 4 inches in each direction for each window (for 2 inches deco frame, does not matter the window needs to mounted outside or inside). actual sq/ft of our windows is 151 sq/ft and he bumped them up to 214 sq/f for 14 windows. After we calculated even with adding 4 in each sides the number is under 200 sq/ft.

Is this the right way to measure? or the guy is really trying too hard to make money off of ....

Thanks.

Met arvind also, he didnt give me total sq ft or what he charges per sq ft.  He said total price is more relevant.  Was he trying to push the Norman Woodlore product?  Two other vendors said they are not reliable and are not polycore.  Basically, they are like cardboard and have history of breaking down.  I am not sure on this.  Thought Norman was better than Sunland.

lovingit said:
Sam78,

Is there a reason you didn't go with Express Blinds in Pomona?  Looked like they were the cheapest.  However, I am not sure if this is it?http://www.yelp.com/biz/express-blinds-pomona-3
Their website takes me to a different company name http://jarvisshutters.com/index.php

So not sure if they changed owners. 
Is Norman Woodlore shutters better than Sunland shutters???????

They did not change owners.. they just changed their name.  That's why I didn't go with them.. shaddy.  Gets them out of any warranties.

lovingit said:
Tribune said:
The Pacific windecor guy came and gave us an estimates yesterday.

But one odd thing was that he added 4 inches in each direction for each window (for 2 inches deco frame, does not matter the window needs to mounted outside or inside). actual sq/ft of our windows is 151 sq/ft and he bumped them up to 214 sq/f for 14 windows. After we calculated even with adding 4 in each sides the number is under 200 sq/ft.

Is this the right way to measure? or the guy is really trying too hard to make money off of ....

Thanks.

Met arvind also, he didnt give me total sq ft or what he charges per sq ft.  He said total price is more relevant.  Was he trying to push the Norman Woodlore product?  Two other vendors said they are not reliable and are not polycore.  Basically, they are like cardboard and have history of breaking down.  I am not sure on this.  Thought Norman was better than Sunland.

Yes Products are not Polycore. They are all MDF. But what is the fair price for MDF? for basswood $16.95 I think was the lowest price but what about other products, MDF, Polycore....?

not sure, but was $3130 for 15 windows.  didnt get the total sq ft.
Is the Norman Woodlore (non wood) really that bad build? 
Is Sunland's wood inferior to Norman's wood products?

Has anybody used Tompkins for window coverings? (I didn't even know they did windows but when I called about a quote for flooring they asked if I was doing windows with them as well).

They carry Hunter Douglas as well as Sunland shutters.

I was wondering if somebody could confirm if Pacific Windecor is licensed? I was thinking of going with them but was wondering if they were licensed. Our other option is Jessica from Interior Style Designs but she is almost 1000 bucks more for almost the same options.
Thanks so much!!

I used Pacific Windecor on 4 homes and it has never occurred to me to verify his license. Each time I gave him 20-30% cash deposit and there was not any problem. The installation quality is less than top $$$ contractors but is not something that I can't live with.

WillJoy said:
I used Pacific Windecor on 4 homes and it has never occurred to me to verify his license. Each time I gave him 20-30% cash deposit and there was not any problem. The installation quality is less than top $$$ contractors but is not something that I can't live with.

I would love feedback on installation quality - what do you mean when you say the quality is not as good?

djnick said:
thoughts on doing shutters and having curtains over it in living room?

Thats just too much window treatment, just my 2 cents. Take a look at the model homes, the trend now is to have curtins with bambo type shades underneath.

I am of the theory that you can never go wrong with clean white shutters. You can go wrong with a lot of other things, but white shutters will always look nice (vs. some of the other stuff that could go out of trend/style quicker).  Clean and practical. But alas, I am a simpleton. 

Irvine Fanatic said:
djnick said:

Thats just too much window treatment, just my 2 cents. Take a look at the model homes, the trend now is to have curtins with bambo type shades underneath.

The trend? Sounds like it's your pocket book preference.

Irvine Fanatic said:
djnick said:

Just about everyone has white plantation shutters...easier to maintain and good look.  Curtains are quite a pain to clean and problematic if you have little kids.

So it seems that Pasific Windecor is the way to go from what I seen - just to make sure,  anyone that used them have any problem/concerns?  I am putting my work order with them soon.

Back