Shutters

Edited my prices above for Norman Woodlore/Woodlore Plus from Arvind.

Had a typo in my spreadsheet, so total sq ft is 168 -> 212. So comes out to about $18/sq ft with the Norman shutters (mix of Woodlore and Woodlore Plus install)

zlo said:
I just had shutters installed by Arvind @ Pacific Windecor. Total was 2800 for 9 windows - not sure about square footage but our living room windows were really big and needed two panels each.

Pros
- very responsive to both email and calls before installation
- polite, removed shoes, installer wore booties, arrived on time during installation
- excellent installation, we had a kitchen and bathroom window that needed to be cut in a specific way and they did it perfectly
- price (compared it vs two other vendors and they were $500 less than the other alternatives)

Cons
- didn't really clean up the saw dust from the cutting up of the kitcken/bath custom fit windows
- a week later than ETA! was told we were getting it first week of August but ended up being late in the second week. He does seem to be very busy...
- came a day early to unload all the boxes in my garage. this was not a problem for us but might be for others with a full garage
We had exactly the same timeline in terms of order to deliver.  So you had it installed this past weekend as well?  :D

Had Bella Blinds out,

Sunland polycore
3.5" louvers
Small ~1.5" Z frame with bead
Split rails

Coming out to $16.50/sq ft

What I do like about Bella Blinds is that Derek does the install himself, and uses screws instead of nail gun for the frame mounting.

incognito said:
Had Bella Blinds out,

Sunland polycore
3.5" louvers
Split rails

What I do like about Bella Blinds is that Derek does the install himself, and uses screws instead of nail gun for the frame mounting.
I thought about that too... but I would think it is easier to patch for nail then screws should there is any need to uninstall the shutter?

Roger said:
incognito said:
Had Bella Blinds out,

Sunland polycore
3.5" louvers
Split rails

I thought about that too... but I would think it is easier to patch for nail then screws should there is any need to uninstall the shutter?

Not sure if there's any advantage of one over the other, but using a nail gun will most definitely be easier and faster for the install. A screw just sounds more permanent to me as I don't plan on having the shutters uninstalled, especially getting accidentally uninstalled by a 3 yr old toddler in the house hanging off them =)

Also the reason why the wife is leaning towards the polycore for the toddler proofing/durability over the Norman Woodlore MDF with poly coating only.

incognito said:
Roger said:
incognito said:
Had Bella Blinds out,

Sunland polycore
3.5" louvers
Split rails

Not sure if there's any advantage of one over the other, but using a nail gun will most definitely be easier and faster for the install. A screw just sounds more permanent to me as I don't plan on having the shutters uninstalled, especially getting accidentally uninstalled by a 3 yr old toddler in the house hanging off them =)

Also the reason why the wife is leaning towards the polycore for the toddler proofing/durability over the Norman Woodlore MDF with poly coating only.
Definitely agreed... :D

Could anyone do me a favor by checking to see if there is any tradmark with Norman Shutter on their shutter?  I realize that on all of my shutter I can't find anywhere that has a Norman Shutter printed on...  ???

Roger said:
Could anyone do me a favor by checking to see if there is any tradmark with Norman Shutter on their shutter?  I realize that on all of my shutter I can't find anywhere that has a Norman Shutter printed on...  ???

It's printed on the sill. 

21l4wmv.jpg

Harajuku said:
Roger said:

It's printed on the sill. 

21l4wmv.jpg
This can't be good  :mad:... I don't have that mark on my sill..  Thank you very much for your pic Harajuku!  Time to give Arvind a call

Harajuku said:
Roger said:
This can't be good  :mad:... I don't have that mark on my sill..  Thank you very much for your pic Harajuku!  Time to give Arvind a call

Ask him to give you the warranty code also that you will need in order to register the shutters to Norman website.
http://www.normanproductwarranty.com/default.asp
Yep I asked him earlier today for the register code but hasn't heard back yet.  Will give him a call tomorrow if still haven't heard back by then...thanks for the suggestion!

Roger, I had mine installed on Sunday and was his first appointment. Just double checked all of mine and they all have the Norman branding on it so definitely check with him!

zlo said:
Roger, I had mine installed on Sunday and was his first appointment. Just double checked all of mine and they all have the Norman branding on it so definitely check with him!
Sorry I must be blind...  there is indeed Norman trademark in the bottom of the sill after opening the shutter.  He also gave me the register number for warranty yesterday.  Thank you all for the help!!

Out of curiosity, has anyone looked into polycore shutters from Golden West Shutters and/or OC Shutters? If so, how was it in terms of price and quality? Built in their local factory or sourced from China?

incognito said:
Out of curiosity, has anyone looked into polycore shutters from Golden West Shutters and/or OC Shutters? If so, how was it in terms of price and quality? Built in their local factory or sourced from China?

The polycore equivalent from Golden West Shutter are their Essential Series, which is faux-wood, consist of medium-density fiberboard with acrylic coating.  Not sure about their pricing for the Essential Series but their other more expensive series with the base wood runs around $22/sq.ft.  Golden West do have their own factory and showroom here at Lake Forest so no outsourcing to other factories nor made from China.  Their quality are quite good, but more expensive then others. 

I don't have first hand experience with the OC Shutter but one of my neighbor had them and quit please with them.  OC Shutter's price are close to the Golden West's but OC Shutter don't make their own shutters, they outsource from other shutter makers.

Just an update: Arvind came by this weekend to look at the issues and quickly fixed them. So i am happy and relieved. I was worried, i admit. So even though he might take a couple weeks to come by to fix non- urgent issues, looks like he will definitely fix it.

This thread had me look at our shutters to see what brand they were.

Couldn't find it at first... but finally found that 'Norman' stamp. I would think they would be on the shutters themselves (our old ones were like that) so I'm wondering how easy it is to just burn that branding into the frame.

I'm not too sure Arvind is the price-leader here but his product is what he says it's going to be and it comes in the timeline he tells you. I would compare him to your friend's buddy who does this on the side and doesn't have an official branded truck or even attire, but he is courteous, knowledgeable and polite. As a contrast, a company like InstallMyLights has everything branded, and is very thorough with providing quotes and follow-up.

Shutter technology is so much more advanced nowadays. The clear-view (no middle stick) is awesome and the split open (top and bottom) is so much better where you can get light but still have privacy. I also like how they are in-frame rather than outside on the wall because the profile is so much slimmer and looks much cleaner as part of the window itself. Also, instead of a bracket to hold the shutters closed, the magnets are much nicer.

I feel like a 1%er now... and didn't have to spend money like one.

We used OC shutter in 2011.  Pricing was right, time to make was a bit long, knowledge of product was great, quality was good. They always return calls and helped me out 5 year later when my kids broke a few of the swivel pins. The only thing I would do differently is not get the inside mount shutters. You can't get the windows out when you need to clean them or adjust the tracks.

Hi, Can anyone share some estimates that they got for roller shades ? -- to put on the sliding door between the dining area and the backyard (in most of the new constructions)

Also we just noticed that the windows in our new house don't have much depth on the sills and so the shutters guys was saying that they will need some casings and is saying that will cost extra -- have you guys seen that and do you know what is a decent price for the extra casings?

Thanks.

I got roller shades for my panel slider, it wasn't cheap.  I think it was around $1,200 for 3 large panel shades that extend all the way to the ground.

I looked around for a long time for the right material and I saw this taupe shade made by Bali that was awesome and couldn't find anything else like it and it's only sold through Home Depot so I couldn't competitive shop but I did use the 10% movers coupon.

Back