Shutters

We used OC shutters and are very pleased with our shutters, and they were definitely much cheaper than Golden West for good quality shutters.

aquabliss said:
I got roller shades for my panel slider, it wasn't cheap.  I think it was around $1,200 for 3 large panel shades that extend all the way to the ground.
That is expensive.

I think for these type of sliding shutters we were quoted less than $1500:

traditional-living-room.jpg

I want to provide yet another update on my shutter installation from Pac Windeco.  Just realized that there was a small chip on the edge of the frame from one of the shutter the other day.  My guess is that when they unpack the package the utility knife went too deep and cut through the edge of the shutter.  We thought about calling them but it is very unlikely they'll replace the whole thing,  and probably just glue the chip and apply some paint over it.  We end up did the repair ourselves without calling them.  The crack is still visible though.

For those who wants to hire them in the future:  you need to be there to watch and babysit them for the ENTIRE installation.  They do a good job in general but can be careless in some detail.

irvinehomeowner said:
aquabliss said:
I got roller shades for my panel slider, it wasn't cheap.  I think it was around $1,200 for 3 large panel shades that extend all the way to the ground.
That is expensive.

I think for these type of sliding shutters we were quoted less than $1500:

traditional-living-room.jpg

Ya but I looked at hundreds of options and liked the look of mine the best (even over these ginormous shutters).  Sometimes your heart gets stuck on something and you just have to pay it since you can't get it anywhere else for cheaper.

Has anyone tried to self-install plantation shutters in their home? If so, can you please share your experience, especially where you bought the shutters and how much it saved. 

Purple said:
Has anyone tried to self-install plantation shutters in their home? If so, can you please share your experience, especially where you bought the shutters and how much it saved. 

Wow, you're pretty brave.

For my shutters, it took one very experience installer 5 hours to install 15 windows and these are the outside mount ones.

If its outside mount shutter, you could  install it yourself if you are pretty handy and have some time to kill.  But I would definitely let the professionals deal with the inside mount shutters since they are a little tricky and adjustment are required in order for the panel to close right. 

Sure, I am pretty handy and confident in doing this project myself. I am planning on outside mount only. I have done small projects in my home - epoxy, kitchen backsplash, blinds, painting, etc. I am thinking if it saves a few hundreds, I will install shutters myself. Home Depot and Lowes sites are not giving options to customize the size, they have some standard sizes to order online. So, I am looking for suggestions from folks on this forum on best sites to buy shutters online.

Another satisfied customer with Bella Blinds/Derek.

Interviewed 4 different installers, and Derek's price was very competitive for the product we wanted to get (polycore shutters). Order came in a week earlier than estimated. Derek does the sales call and installation himself; showed up to both appointments on time. Also needed some adjustments after the installation, and Derek came back the very next morning.

We will definitely be calling Bella Blinds for future window treatments.

Two questions from a rookie:

1. Are inside mounts (where the entire shutter would fit inside the window wood frame) significantly more expensive than outside mounts (shutter would cover the window wood frame)?
zlo, incognito, whome: I appreciate your posts.  Good indicative numbers.  Could you let me know if you had inside mount or outside mount?

2. What is the right protocol for payment?  How much is expected to be paid at the order vs when the job is complete?

Your help is much appreciated.  THANKS!

liege168 said:
Two questions from a rookie:

1. Are inside mounts (where the entire shutter would fit inside the window wood frame) significantly more expensive than outside mounts (shutter would cover the window wood frame)?
zlo, incognito, whome: I appreciate your posts.  Good indicative numbers.  Could you let me know if you had inside mount or outside mount?

2. What is the right protocol for payment?  How much is expected to be paid at the order vs when the job is complete?

Your help is much appreciated.  THANKS!

Not sure about pricing as we never considered it. My guess is that inside mounts are probably alittle more difficult to install. This is due to the fact that windows sills are not perfect in measurements (e.g. width at the top vs the bottom). So installing inside the window sill leaves less room for error/adjustments.

If you're considering inside mount (or even z mount), just note that the wider you go with the louvers be conscious of the clearance. For example, we went with the 4.5" louvers and it clears the glass, but in some positions, the little window lock lever won't clear the louver if the louver is at it's maximum horizontal position.

I am getting some quote for window treatments, and almost every seller is pushing me to get shutters. There must be a good profit in them or something.

However I am not happy with the quotes I am getting, I have about 225 sq feet of windows to shutter over 18 windows, if you add 2" to the width and length for the frame then it is closer to 245 sq feet. I am looking for clear view (no center rod) and about 3.5 inch louvers. Probably z-frame, so it is more flush.

E&J quoted me for their local made basswood, sealed and white painted shutters $5,000 while Pacific Windecor quoted $4750 for Norman Woodlore. What is the standard price per square foot these days?

Also, what is the best product here? The E&J solid wood shutter or the Woodlore? They both tell me theirs is the best and the other is rubbish of course...

Not sure if there's really a "best product" as I think it depends on what features/characteristics you're looking for in your window treatment. For example if a completely clean look both from inside and outside is most important, you'll probably want Norman product since the louver control is hidden as well as the magnets.

For reference, these are the price quotes I received.

Shutter details:
- 16 windows  @ ~212 total sq ft
- clear view
- split control (50/50 split)
- any louver size (this doesn't affect pricing for any of the vendor quotes I got)
- z-frame (1.5" basic design)

General Pricing:
Sunland polycore: ~$16.50/sq ft range
Norman Woodlore Plus: ~$18.00/sq ft range
Basswood (local vendor): ~$21.25/sq ft range

tentfox said:
Is woodlore plus the same price as woodlore?

I think the Plus version is slightly more expensive, but not 100% positive. Because of our window size being  wider than the maximum recommended width for the basic Woodlore, Woodlore Plus would allow us to go with 1 panel per window instead of 2 panels per window for a 36" width window.

Has anyone had a problem with the Woodlore product due to it being made from MDF? I liked the hidden magnets and thing which keeps all the louvers moving together.

tentfox said:
Has anyone had a problem with the Woodlore product due to it being made from MDF? I liked the hidden magnets and thing which keeps all the louvers moving together.

I don't have first hand experience with it, but for what it's worth, my in-laws have it at their house. Installed ~7+ years ago. Last time I was over, had a quick look and didn't see any issues. The MDF looked in good condition and the magnets were okay. They said they haven't had any issues also, but then again they're not as detailed as I am.

Back