Shutters

I agree. We had Window Decorators do our shutters and roller shades too. Love the quality of both. I wish i didn't have to wait 10 weeks for mine though, but it's worth it. Best $$$ spent.

Window decorators measure your windows, sends the measurements to China and 2-3 months later you have your shutters.
They were the cheapest shutters I found.
After 1.5 yrs, my shutters still keeps out the light...

zubs said:
Window decorators measure your windows, sends the measurements to China and 2-3 months later you have your shutters.

Thanks for the tip! I might get them to come and do measurements on the model so it's all ready to install when we move in.

Paris167 said:
zubs said:

Thanks for the tip! I might get them to come and do measurements on the model so it's all ready to install when we move in.
The measurement might be off a little from the model home and your place. So I would wait to take measurements. Maybe get a quote using the model home.

101227d.jpg

Temp blackout curtains!

Paris167 said:
eyephone said:
Paris167 said:
zubs said:

The measurement might be off a little from the model home and your place. So I would wait to take measurements. Maybe get a quote using the model home.

Really? I thought they build these homes to exact dimensions. hm, ok then I'll have to rethink that decision.

But if you have to wait 2-3 months for your window coverings what did you do in the meantime - "flash" your neighbors?  ;D

If you order with them.. they can have someone put in some temporary coverings immediately if needed.  Not sure about that fee.  It's just paper.

jmoney74 said:
Paris167 said:
eyephone said:
Paris167 said:
zubs said:

Really? I thought they build these homes to exact dimensions. hm, ok then I'll have to rethink that decision.

But if you have to wait 2-3 months for your window coverings what did you do in the meantime - "flash" your neighbors?  ;D

If you order with them.. they can have someone put in some temporary coverings immediately if needed.  Not sure about that fee.  It's just paper.

They quoted us $100 to do the temp shades. We bought Redi-Shade (http://redishade.com/store/index.html) from Home Depot since we had to wait another 3 weeks after move to get our shutters. IKEA also sells these temp shades, which we saw after our shutters were installed. I think those are cheaper. Does the same thing.

I pulled out my invoice from 2012 and here is the information from window decorators.

11 windows with a sq inch of 2,352 (196 sqft)
$2500 including installation & tax.

Since I'm too lazy to take a picture of it, here is a generic pic from the internet of what my shutters look like:
R84.jpg

The blinds are 3"

I've written about them on page 2 in this thread if you want more info.

FYI: These shutters are no name brand generic Chinese factory (no one cares if kids are making them) parts.
They work fine.  I don't love them, but I don't generally fall in love with shutters.

jmoney74 said:
Paris167 said:
eyephone said:
Paris167 said:
zubs said:

They did a few temporary shades for me for free. (Master bedroom/bath) They are really nice good people.

So we are now into selecting a Shutter company to install shutters for our windows at our Saratoga Residence-1 home. We decided to add Curtain to 6 big windows, and add shutter to the rest of the 15 windows. After reading through, our shutter requirements we clear: clear view, half-white, split into 2, 4.5? louver. We are unsure about the material. We called in 7 companies (all recommended either in TI or Yelp). All of them gave a quote ranging from $2800 to $3800 for 15 windows. Details below. We have shortlisted the three below. All three were great.

Some online friends have asked me what these terms mean and what I recommend. Here is my humble opinion.
  • Clearview: Until a few years ago, Shutters used to come up with a white rod in the front center, which actually connects all the Louvers together. So when you move one louver, the whole window moves up or down thus opening or shutting the window.
    A recent development is clearview, where you have "hidden rods". They moved the rods to the back of the shutter and made it hidden.
    The latest in clearview is "Invisible rods", means that the connecting rod is actually hidden inside the shutter body, so the shutter looks very clean. To my knowledge, only Norman shutters have this invisible rods clearview.

Louver size: Usually there is 2.5", 3.5", or 4.5". My neighbor suggested that we get 4.5", so there is less number of louvers and more light comes in. The popular one is 3.5". I went with 4.5". No cost difference.

Frame - in or out: There is a frame that covers that outside of the shutter. The vendors can either do inside frame or outside frame. The inside frame makes the window look contained. If you do this inside frame and have small depth in the window, you may not be able to do 4.5" louver. Outside frame makes your Window look bigger and costs a bit more. I did not have much in terms of preference between either choice. We chose outside. 

Frame - size: They usually have 1", 2" or 3" frames, in both inside and outside versions. The frames come with various designs, but the vendor will show you the most popular one. We didn't spend a lot of time picking a design. We just chose the first one that looked good. For us, 1" looked smaller and 3" looked very big. So we went with 2". Sometimes this is also called 2.5". Going to a bigger size frame costs more money, since it increases the area of the shutter.

Warranty: Some companies don't provide warranty, some provide 25-year warranty, and some do lifetime. We chose lifetime warranty fr obvious reasons.

In general, the vendors measure the width and height, measure area and multiply by a per sq.ft rate to give you the final rate. In this rate, installation is included.

? Bella Blinds: Derek works with Sunland shutters and installs Polyurethrene shutters. He does the sales, measurement and installation himself. I am not sure if he measured everything right. It was a lot of scribble on that form. $3000 for 15 windows. He agreed to install the 6 curtains for us for $100. Would not provide temporary screens

? Windows Decorators: Works with Sunland shutters and installs Polyurethrene shutters. $3215 for 15 windows. They agreed to install the 6 curtains for us for $120. Agreed to provide temporary screens.

? Pacific Windecor: Does Norman shutters (MDF). His shutters have invisible tilt and some good magnets. He also showed the screw with which you can adjust the tension (probably 10 years later?). Lifetime warranty. Quoted $3120 for 15 windows and install curtains for a tip to his people.

Everything between these three look the same (price, warranty, reviews, etc.). So the question boils down to:
? Everything being the same, between MDF and Polyurethrene, which one would you pick?
? Are Norman shutters (invisible tilt, good magnets, etc.) worth going to an MDF material?

Detailed comparison below:
=======================

Company Bella Blinds
Contact Derek
Location Laguna Niguel
Yelp rating 8 (5 *)
Manufacturer Sunland
Material Polycore
Clear view? Yes
Louver size 3.5"
In/Out Frame Out
Frame Size Malibu 2.25"
Price for 15w 3000
Warranty 25 yrs
Wait time 6 - 8 weeks
Curtains $100
Temp screen No

Company Windows Decorators
Contact Traci and Max
Location Newpot Beach
Yelp rating 4 (3 *)
Manufacturer Sunland
Material Polycore
Clear view? Yes
Louver size 4.5"
In/Out Frame Out
Frame Size Deco 3"
Price for 15w 3215
Warranty 25 yrs
Wait time 6 - 8 weeks
Curtains $120
Temp screen Yes

Company Pacific WinDecor
Contact Arvind
Manufacturer Norman
Material MDF
Clear view? Yes - hidden
Louver size 4.5"
In/Out Frame In, out for Bd
Frame Size 2.5"
Price for 15w 3120
Warranty Lifetime
Wait time 5 weeks
Curtains $60
Temp screen NA

Company Budget Blinds
Contact Kevin
Location Irvine
Yelp rating
Manufacturer Norman
Material Woodlore
Clear view? Yes
Louver size 3.5"
In/Out Frame Out
Frame Size 2.5"
Price for 15w 3381
Warranty ?
Wait time ?
Curtains
Temp screen Temp screen

Company Econo-blinds
Contact Osman
Manufacturer ?
Material Basswood
Clear view? Yes
Louver size 3.5"
In/Out Frame Out
Frame Size 2.5"
Price for 15w 3225
Warranty ?
Wait time 6 weeks
Curtains
Temp screen Temp screen

Company Express Blinds
Contact Young Ho
Location Pomona
Yelp rating
Manufacturer Themselves
Material Basswood
Clear view? Yes
Louver size 3.5"
In/Out Frame Out
Frame Size 2" D?cor
Price for 15w 2786
Warranty ?
Wait time 3 weeks
Curtains $40
Temp screen NA

Company Golden West
Contact Harris
Location Lake Forest
Yelp rating
Manufacturer Themselves
Material Basswood
Clear view? Yes
Louver size 4.5"
In/Out Frame Out
Frame Size 2"
Price for 15w 3800
Warranty Lifetime
Wait time 5 weeks
Curtains No
Temp screen No

Based on at least 3 other members here, seems like Windows Decorators is the reputable vendor given that the price is about the same with your 3 top picks.

Sam78 said:
So we are now into selecting a Shutter company to install shutters for our windows at our Saratoga Residence-1 home. We decided to add Curtain to 6 big windows, and add shutter to the rest of the 15 windows. After reading through, our shutter requirements we clear: clear view, half-white, split into 2, 4.5? louver. We are unsure about the material. We called in 7 companies (all recommended either in TI or Yelp). All of them gave a quote ranging from $2800 to $3800 for 15 windows. Details below. We have shortlisted the three below. All three were great.

? Bella Blinds: Derek works with Sunland shutters and installs Polyurethrene shutters. He does the sales, measurement and installation himself. I am not sure if he measured everything right. It was a lot of scribble on that form. $3000 for 15 windows. He agreed to install the 6 curtains for us for $100. Would not provide temporary screens

? Windows Decorators: Works with Sunland shutters and installs Polyurethrene shutters. $3215 for 15 windows. They agreed to install the 6 curtains for us for $120. Agreed to provide temporary screens.

? Pacific Windecor: Does Norman shutters (MDF). His shutters have invisible tilt and some good magnets. He also showed the screw with which you can adjust the tension (probably 10 years later?). Lifetime warranty. Quoted $3120 for 15 windows and install curtains for a tip to his people.

Everything between these three look the same (price, warranty, reviews, etc.). So the question boils down to:
? Everything being the same, between MDF and Polyurethrene, which one would you pick?
? Are Norman shutters (invisible tilt, good magnets, etc.) worth going to an MDF material?

Detailed comparison below:
=======================

Company Bella Blinds
Contact Derek
Location Laguna Niguel
Yelp rating 8 (5 *)
Manufacturer Sunland
Material Polycore
Clear view? Yes
Louver size 3.5"
In/Out Frame Out
Frame Size Malibu 2.25"
Price for 15w 3000
Warranty 25 yrs
Wait time 6 - 8 weeks
Curtains $100
Temp screen No

Company Windows Decorators
Contact Traci and Max
Location Newpot Beach
Yelp rating 4 (3 *)
Manufacturer Sunland
Material Polycore
Clear view? Yes
Louver size 4.5"
In/Out Frame Out
Frame Size Deco 3"
Price for 15w 3215
Warranty 25 yrs
Wait time 6 - 8 weeks
Curtains $120
Temp screen Yes

Company Pacific WinDecor
Contact Arvind
Manufacturer Norman
Material MDF
Clear view? Yes - hidden
Louver size 4.5"
In/Out Frame In, out for Bd
Frame Size 2.5"
Price for 15w 3120
Warranty Lifetime
Wait time 5 weeks
Curtains $60
Temp screen NA

Company Budget Blinds
Contact Kevin
Location Irvine
Yelp rating
Manufacturer Norman
Material Woodlore
Clear view? Yes
Louver size 3.5"
In/Out Frame Out
Frame Size 2.5"
Price for 15w 3381
Warranty ?
Wait time ?
Curtains
Temp screen Temp screen

Company Econo-blinds
Contact Osman
Manufacturer ?
Material Basswood
Clear view? Yes
Louver size 3.5"
In/Out Frame Out
Frame Size 2.5"
Price for 15w 3225
Warranty ?
Wait time 6 weeks
Curtains
Temp screen Temp screen

Company Express Blinds
Contact Young Ho
Location Pomona
Yelp rating
Manufacturer Themselves
Material Basswood
Clear view? Yes
Louver size 3.5"
In/Out Frame Out
Frame Size 2" D?cor
Price for 15w 2786
Warranty ?
Wait time 3 weeks
Curtains $40
Temp screen NA

Company Golden West
Contact Harris
Location Lake Forest
Yelp rating
Manufacturer Themselves
Material Basswood
Clear view? Yes
Louver size 4.5"
In/Out Frame Out
Frame Size 2"
Price for 15w 3800
Warranty Lifetime
Wait time 5 weeks
Curtains No
Temp screen No

how many square feet do you measure for your 15 windows? Your quotes are pretty good if you have around 190sqf. Otherwise might be able to get a bit better rate depending on product.  I've talked to most of the same guys. I recall Pacific windecor being about 10% higher than bella blinds who was  higher than WD. So either you are getting a great quote from arvind or you could be getting a bit better quote from WD.

I heard the pitch from all on basswood vs poly vs Norman etc and did some google research. I think they're all fine in terms of quality. Liked that poly had way better insulation and more durable. Norman is very nice too even with mdf. If you are able to do an inside mount with the Norman mdf, that may be reason for mdf. The basswood will depend on who's making it.

octagon said:
how many square feet do you measure for your 15 windows? Your quotes are pretty good if you have around 190sqf. Otherwise might be able to get a bit better rate depending on product.  I've talked to most of the same guys. I recall Pacific windecor being about 10% higher than bella blinds who was  higher than WD. So either you are getting a great quote from arvind or you could be getting a bit better quote from WD.

I heard the pitch from all on basswood vs poly vs Norman etc and did some google research. I think they're all fine in terms of quality. Liked that poly had way better insulation and more durable. Norman is very nice too even with mdf. If you are able to do an inside mount with the Norman mdf, that may be reason for mdf. The basswood will depend on who's making it.

Yes, the area is approximately 170 sq foot.

Back