Routers

qwerty said:
got my nighthawk up and running. this thing is a beast.  great coverage throughout the house. dont need the TPlink repeater anymore.  the iphone 5s download speed doubled.  the downloads on the laptop are also faster.

thanks OS for the router recommendation.

You have cable no?  Setting up my router behind the U-Verse gateway is a pain, anyone has experience with that?  There are some youtube videos on this, as well as in the att forums, but those were all done years ago, want to make sure before I brick my new router.

Yes, cox. Setup was easy. Just removed the power and backup battery from the modem, hooked everything up and powered everything up and I was good to go

ps9 said:
qwerty said:
got my nighthawk up and running. this thing is a beast.  great coverage throughout the house. dont need the TPlink repeater anymore.  the iphone 5s download speed doubled.  the downloads on the laptop are also faster.

You have cable no?  Setting up my router behind the U-Verse gateway is a pain, anyone has experience with that?  There are some youtube videos on this, as well as in the att forums, but those were all done years ago, want to make sure before I brick my new router.
I'm wondering why would this be any different than a cable modem.

AFAIK, the Uverse modem is just like any standard modem, you just hook the router up to the WAN line and you're set.

I've had both DSL and cable and they are the same setup.

irvinehomeowner said:
ps9 said:
qwerty said:

I'm wondering why would this be any different than a cable modem.

AFAIK, the Uverse modem is just like any standard modem, you just hook the router up to the WAN line and you're set.

I've had both DSL and cable and they are the same setup.

I'll give it a shot, i'm not very literate when it comes to home networking, the uverse gateway operates differently I believe, it serves as the router for my home, that's why uverse can have TVs outside in the yard/garage even if there is no hard wire to the uverse box.  So if you want to add on your own router (Nighthawk, Asus, etc.) it has to be under "router behind a router" configuration.  Never done that before, gotta do more research.

So what you're saying is that the Uverse gateway is already a wireless router?

I think the TV signal is a different protocol than the internet wireless signal. There should be a WAN/LAN port you can use to hook the router to the Uverse gateway but then if your Uverse gateway is already broadcasting a wireless internet signal you will either have two networks (similar to the extender scenario ZeroLot spoke of) or you may have to "turn off" the gateway's wireless network.

WhatWouldTylerDo?

qwerty said:
Yes, cox. Setup was easy. Just removed the power and backup battery from the modem, hooked everything up and powered everything up and I was good to go

Qwerty, so you can hooked the Nighthawk directly and bypassing the modem/router combo provided by Cox ?  Nighthawk also act as a "modem" ? 

GH said:
qwerty said:

Qwerty, so you can hooked the Nighthawk directly and bypassing the modem/router combo provided by Cox ?  Nighthawk also act as a "modem" ? 

no i did not bypass the Cox modem. as part of the setup directions it tells you to unplug the power from the modem and also remove the backup battery so it has no power source, then you hookup the nighthawk to the modem, power up the modem, then power up the nighthawk.

qwerty said:
GH said:
qwerty said:

no i did not bypass the Cox modem. as part of the setup directions it tells you to unplug the power from the modem and also remove the backup battery so it has no power source, then you hookup the nighthawk to the modem, power up the modem, then power up the nighthawk.

ok thanks.  I just thought I can bypass the modem and save money on having to buy/rent the modem

thatOSguy said:
GH said:
ok thanks.  I just thought I can bypass the modem and save money on having to buy/rent the modem

I bought my cable modem used on ebay for $40 or so. You can find them there, Amazon marketplace or, if you're patient, Craigslist. I've seen them go for as little as $20 but it's the rare ignorant/impatient seller.

Would any Cable modem work with Cox ?  Would a cheap cable modem affect speed/performance ?  I would hate to have an expensive powerful  router/wifi be limited by the cable modem.  Thanks !

GH said:
thatOSguy said:
GH said:

I bought my cable modem used on ebay for $40 or so. You can find them there, Amazon marketplace or, if you're patient, Craigslist. I've seen them go for as little as $20 but it's the rare ignorant/impatient seller.

Would any Cable modem work with Cox ?  Would a cheap cable modem affect speed/performance ?  I would hate to have an expensive powerful  router/wifi be limited by the cable modem.  Thanks !

You should at least buy a 3.0 version for the cable modems.  That's the standard for today.

GH said:
qwerty said:
GH said:
qwerty said:

If you have the funds, try to buy the modem.

eyephone said:
GH said:
qwerty said:
GH said:
qwerty said:

If you have the funds, try to buy the modem.

Used/refurbished Cisco DPC3010 8x4 DOCIS 3.0 modem, which is approved by Cox and for sale in their store, on Amazon is under 20.00.  I've bought one of these and they look like new, albeit without retail packaging.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00723KZTY/ref=olp_tab_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

The General Grievous of routers:

asus-router.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/02/asus-triband-six-antenna-router/

Back