Routers

iPhones, iPads, Xbox One (not PS4!), Chromebooks, Chromebox, more expensive laptops, most smartphones. 

Have to check chromecast, Apple tv, Fire TV, fire stick, ps vita, Nintendo 3ds

What most people don't realize is that the 5ghz is the fast lane, but you mainly use it if you're in the same room as the router as it doesn't go through walls well. If you want range you need to use the 2.4ghz which isn't as fast.

A lot of these new routers have better range due to the power in the chip sets. 

SubSolar said:
What most people don't realize is that the 5ghz is the fast lane, but you mainly use it if you're in the same room as the router as it doesn't go through walls well. If you want range you need to use the 2.4ghz which isn't as fast.
really, did not know that 2.4ghz has better range than the 5ghz?  I assume that the 5g has better range as well, as long as your devices/internet support ac

lovingit said:
SubSolar said:
really, did not know that 2.4ghz has better range than the 5ghz?  I assume that the 5g has better range as well, as long as your devices/internet support ac

Higher frequency = shorter wavelength = less range

lovingit said:
SubSolar said:

yup.. the higher the ghz gets.. the shorter the range.  Some people still use 900mhz for telephone range.

No, higher frequency doesn't penetrate through walls as well. Most people want better range and a stronger signal but all the technology advancements seem to be focused on higher speeds when most people aren't complaining about that. And in order to get the max speed you need to be in the same room, not more than 5 or 10 feet from the router with clear line of sight and with a newer Macbook Pro or a handful of other devices.

ps9 said:
Thinking of adding these powerline adapters for my entertainment center (TV, Xbox, PS4, etc.) downstairs. 
http://slickdeals.net/f/7177700-2x-...o-adapters-w-built-in-outlet-35-free-shipping

So plug one adapter into router, plug other into wall socket behind entertainment center.  Hook up a switch to the adapter.  Plug ethernet cables from TV, Blu-ray, consoles to switch.  Should be that easy no?

I used similiar powerline units for years.  Be warned that they get hot, so make sure there's plenty of clearance.

But they have to be on the same circuit right?  Not sure if the plug behind TV is on the same circuit as my router.

ps9 said:
But they have to be on the same circuit right?  Not sure if the plug behind TV is on the same circuit as my router.

I had it installed across 3 different floors in Irvine (I lived in a 3-story condo at the time), no issues.

I stopped using them when I had extra Linksys routers.  Installed DD-WRT and configured them as repeaters.

Back