Routers

eyephone said:
ZeroLot said:
I plugged my router plus modem into a cyber supply ups from Costco.  I get an extra 91 minutes of internet activity should power goes out.

Costco is only $95 while Amazon charges close to $130 for same item.

That's good to have except that's more "energy" that you pay for.  ;)

Lol ... I feel like I won the lottery after fixing my energy crises.  My bill in August (with tons of AC use) was lower than my first electric bill ... And our first electric bill was of an empty house and no appliances.

*typing this with the AC running for the WHOLE night*

So my nighthawk can bathe itself in all the electric juices it desires.

3906647178.png

Speedwave #2, these are results with my cheap laptop over wifi.  It does not have 802.11ac so full speeds are capped. 

ZeroLot said:
eyephone said:
ZeroLot said:
I plugged my router plus modem into a cyber supply ups from Costco.  I get an extra 91 minutes of internet activity should power goes out.

Costco is only $95 while Amazon charges close to $130 for same item.

That's good to have except that's more "energy" that you pay for.  ;)

Lol ... I feel like I won the lottery after fixing my energy crises.  My bill in August (with tons of AC use) was lower than my first electric bill ... And our first electric bill was of an empty house and no appliances.

*typing this with the AC running for the WHOLE night*

So my nighthawk can bathe itself in all the electric juices it desires.

So I took Zerolot's (and others) on getting the Nighthawk router when we moved in.  It works great throughout the house.  However, now that the backyard is done, I'm finding that I don't have a signal near the back of the back yard.  Does anyone have any suggestions on a repeater or booster (?) to get a better signal outside. 

Just buy another router and use it as an access point. Put in the in the room closest to the backyard. Connect it via ethernet to the other router if the house is wired or powerline adapter if it's not.

Will it have better range than a basic N router? I couldn't find anything talking about range distances on the Night Hawk. My current basic N router get spotty coverages, the further away from the master closet you are in the house. Some people said a range extender will do the trick. If AC routers have further range, might as well get it. I dont have crazy fast internet speeds so not sure if I will take advantage of AC routers. I currently receive Cox 50 Mbps internet download speeds.

Not an expert, but I remember reading ac routers do have extended range.  My wifi printer was in the far corner in our den and always had trouble getting reception.  When I switched to the Nighthawk, no longer have issues.  And is your speed before or after Cox doubled it?  I would still go with a Nighthawk or Asus ac router, wifi devices can only increase in the modern household.  Need something that can handle all the traffic. 

SubSolar said:
It will have better range, but probably won't be amazing like 50-100% better.

When you don't have range and then go to having range... It's like 100%. ;)

ps9 said:
Not an expert, but I remember reading ac routers do have extended range.  My wifi printer was in the far corner in our den and always had trouble getting reception.  When I switched to the Nighthawk, no longer have issues.  And is your speed before or after Cox doubled it?  I would still go with a Nighthawk or Asus ac router, wifi devices can only increase in the modern household.  Need something that can handle all the traffic.

It's after cox doubled it.  I just tried speedtest by Ookla but got 37.13 Mpbs downloads. ATT gave me 27.62 Mpbs downloads.  Not sure why different but it is no where near the 50 Mpbs Cox advertises.

I assume the 37 mbps is wifi?  You lose about 20% over wifi versus stated max speed from Cox.  Try connecting thru ethernet from your router and see if you get close to 50 mbps.  Distance plays a factor too with wifi, the closer you are to your router the faster you get.  Also make sure your devices have 802.11ac capabilities, otherwise you won't see higher speeds with the Nighthawk router.

ps9 said:
I assume the 37 mbps is wifi?  You lose about 20% over wifi versus stated max speed from Cox.  Try connecting thru ethernet from your router and see if you get close to 50 mbps.  Distance plays a factor too with wifi, the closer you are to your router the faster you get.  Also make sure your devices have 802.11ac capabilities, otherwise you won't see higher speeds with the Nighthawk router.

Are any device ac rated?  Think most are still on G.

Back