Routers

if i buy a nighthawk to replace my existing router, can i just give it the same SSID and password as my old router so say my iphone, laptop, etc. can just connect automatically to it? i want to avoid having to enter the password again into everything that connects to my existing wireless router.

thanks.

qwerty said:
if i buy a nighthawk to replace my existing router, can i just give it the same SSID and password as my old router so say my iphone, laptop, etc. can just connect automatically to it? i want to avoid having to enter the password again into everything that connects to my existing wireless router.

thanks.
Whoops... thanked instead of quoted.

It depends on the security of your old router vs. your new one.

If it uses password encryption it should be the same type for the setup on your devices to work on your new router. If you are using device ID auth, then it won't work because your new router will need to know the device IDs.

It also depends on the device, had to re-set up my PS3s and computers but didn't have to do that for the phones and iDevices.

thanks IHO - yeah i think the one i have now and the nighthawk use the same encryption so i think ill be ok. 

eyephone said:
qwerty said:
thanks IHO - yeah i think the one i have now and the nighthawk use the same encryption so i think ill be ok.

So are you going to get a nighthawk?

most likely. saw it on amazon for about 190-195. going to search tonite to see if i can find it cheaper anywhere, if not then ill just order it from amazon.

qwerty said:
eyephone said:
qwerty said:

So are you going to get a nighthawk?

most likely. saw it on amazon for about 190-195. going to search tonite to see if i can find it cheaper anywhere, if not then ill just order it from amazon.

Newegg - $199 with a $20 rebate card.

What is the purpose of 11ac if you're only getting 25mbps from your ISP? Isn't it overkill and don't the later 11n routers implement beamforming the same way as 11ac? Only benefit I can see is if you want to stream or share off a home media server, but even then I don't see a huge benefit. Good quality HD video is usually around 5mpbs afaik. Isn't range also pretty similar in 11ac to 11n?

Pluto3D said:
What is the purpose of 11ac if you're only getting 25mbps from your ISP? Isn't it overkill and don't the later 11n routers implement beamforming the same way as 11ac? Only benefit I can see is if you want to stream or share off a home media server, but even then I don't see a huge benefit. Good quality HD video is usually around 5mpbs afaik. Isn't range also pretty similar in 11ac to 11n?

This is true.. just that the new routers are all AC.. and they come with more power and range technology.  I wouldn't say it's in the ac.. just the other parts of the technology is getting better.  This nighthawk is solid.

I think you need wifi if you want to use your iPad, unless you want to use your data from your plan. Same with cell phones, some people don't have unlimited data, so they rely in their wifi or other peoples wifi to surf the net.

Also, other people connect the garage, lights, ac, cameras, etc. through wifi.

If you believe wifi is not ready, then just don't upgrade your router or don't use a router and connect your 1 PC to the cable/dsl modem.

got my nighthawk up and running. this thing is a beast.  great coverage throughout the house. dont need the TPlink repeater anymore.  the iphone 5s download speed doubled.  the downloads on the laptop are also faster.

thanks OS for the router recommendation.

Back