Retail Openings and Closures

You can also get cafe suda at almost any Pho place in Irvine or not in Irvine.

@aquabliss: I have it on good authority that these boba places can move 50-75 drinks in an hour.
This has to be for a couple of peak hours throughout the day. There is no way the majority of the places do 50-70 drinks an hour consistently throughout the day. Maybe certain places like the place at the spectrum next to Regal cinemas, the Alley I think?

Yes. Sorry... wasn't meant as an average... more like what kind of business they can do during busy times (which Orobae seems to have quite a bit).

But I've seen Omomo lines that would have 10-20 people in an hour and they are getting 2-4 drinks so it's not an outlandish number. Talked to someone who works at one and they told me they have a drink count and so they know how many they do in an hour.

There are actually quite a few specialty coffee shops in/around Irvine, but I wouldn't mind more.

I don't think there are any specialty coffee shops as defined by the Specialty Coffee Association of America. (e.g. a place that is really pushing the boundaries in terms of brewed drip coffee or espresso drinks) In an absolute twist of irony, the SCAA is in Irvine though I thought it was in Santa Ana previously. Portola Coffee Lab would be the closest to it, and it only did moderately well at The District before it closed. I am holding out hope for a branch of Bodhi Leaf one day in the Irvine area.

Although in doing research for this post it seems like I need to try Wall Writers and Dose in The Box (aka Coffee Dose) that have both opened up in Irvine. I guess Lost Bean sorta counts too.

So, a few boba shop that I used to visit on regular basis has continuing ticketing number through out the day.

A normally busy one will hit ticket number 500 ish on a normal weekday, 700-800 on weekend, with ones in or near college can hit up to 1500s over finals weeks.

and that's the number of orders, not number or drinks sold.

I don't think there are any specialty coffee shops as defined by the Specialty Coffee Association of America. (e.g. a place that is really pushing the boundaries in terms of brewed drip coffee or espresso drinks) In an absolute twist of irony, the SCAA is in Irvine though I thought it was in Santa Ana previously. Portola Coffee Lab would be the closest to it, and it only did moderately well at The District before it closed. I am holding out hope for a branch of Bodhi Leaf one day in the Irvine area.

Although in doing research for this post it seems like I need to try Wall Writers and Dose in The Box (aka Coffee Dose) that have both opened up in Irvine. I guess Lost Bean sorta counts too.
I actually prefer the newer Coffee Dose by the Laguna Hills DMV.

Wall Writers is good.
Lost Bean is hit or miss.
Coffee Tomo.
Krisp is great.
Van Dyke just opened a shop in Irvine.
Roosevelt Coffee - haven't been yet.
KIT Coffee is good.
Blue Hummingbird - still haven't been.
Press & Moka.
Copa Vida (lots of locations in SD).

I feel like I'm forgetting some, but that's all within Irvine. Bodhi Leaf is in Lake Forest, so not too far depending where you are in Irvine.

I had no idea the Panera in Crossroads closed.

And what's going up in its place? The Broken Yolk.

Still wondering what they will put in the Island space... I was hoping for Golden Corral or someone reviving Souplantation. Even a Dimassi's would work.

Mochinut is going to open in the University Center, hopefully it's like the Fashion Island one and has mochi donuts AND rice dogs.

The former Islands will be a...Chinese/Taiwanese Restaurant.

I was about to dismiss this place as yet another place disguising mediocre coffee with milk and sugar but then I saw the single brew chemexes of 100% Kona peaberry coffee. Yet another place to try!
I was impressed with the coffee and the location is perfect with the SCs. There is a Japanese bakery/coffee place up Lake Forest Blvd a little way called Brio Brio behind where Mimi’s used to be and in front of Pep Boys - highly recommended

I have a Panera coffee subscription and drink their iced coffee and/or hazelnut coffee daily. I drink it black and find it to be a nice way to start the day.

Black coffee is a superfood and is critical for warding off dementia and Alzheimer’s. Talk to your doctor and I bet they recommend you start drinking some.
I just learned about the benefits of black coffee from my doctor friends. They only drink it black.

For the past 5 years, I came to the office and got 6 espresso shots and poured it into a big cup of ice.

But, because I love the hazelnut liquid creamer so much, recently, I get 12 oz. coffee + 3 espresso shots with 3 hazelnut liquid creamer.

Back