Retail Openings and Closures

The Habit is okay... but it's more like franchise... I prefer the mop/pop greasy spoons like the Greek-owned family restaurants (George's Burgers in Fountain Valley comes to mind).

yesterday on Fieri's show there was a hole in the wall restaurant that made pork shank fall-of-the bone bolognese sauce with Tagliatelle pasta... where can I get that?

ps99472 said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
The reality is for every one American eatery closed 2 Asian eateries opened. We will soon see an interesting shifting dynamic. Non TIC retail centers are in the process of getting facelifts to justify a higher rent. At some point Asian eateries will populate all non TIC centers. The ones in TIC centers with the exception of Sam Woo are all struggling too with high overhead. Late 80's Culver/Westpark Asian corridor is losing its popularity to the new Asian Woodbury/Jeffrey corridor.

Wait till Little Sheep opens next to Marie Calendars... 

A restaurant for sheeple?

Ate at SWSH for the third time in two weeks... we have really taken a liking to the place...here are some shots..

3b673c63.jpg

large angus ribeye

3f5f2a36.jpg

happy juice

747469be.jpg

veggie dish

Tip:  they give you a bowl with some soup stock in it near the end of the meal, make sure you ask for two spoonfuls of the stock, save some veggies and all of your udon, enoki, dried seaweed, scallions for it and cook it all in your pot in the end...  use the provided metal tongs and take out the cooked food and put it directly into the soup stock.. do NOT add any water from your shabu shabu pot... you're making a "dry" udon..  the flavor is pretty intense and finishes you off pretty well...

Asian Tapas in Woodbury Town Center has changed owner. Prices are lower now, and there are 59 items on the lunch special menu. But they no longer offer Hainan chicken over rice which was my favorite there. :-|

rent said:
Asian Tapas in Woodbury Town Center has changed owner. Prices are lower now, and there are 59 items on the lunch special menu. But they no longer offer Hainan chicken over rice which was my favorite there. :-|

Wasn't it owned by the same people as Tri-Village? Did they sell Tri-Village as well?

I have always wondered how a Chinese place could have survived with a high overhead. The plain rice and slow simmered chicken in low heat is not a Caucasian favorite. The meat is slippery with skin attached are gross. The minced ginger and onion dipping is for those with an acquired taste. I see why this dish did not make it.

The owner must not totally depend on chefs that have a Pechanga habit.
traceimage said:
rent said:

Wasn't it owned by the same people as Tri-Village? Did they sell Tri-Village as well?

Boiling Point's B1G1 from 11-25 thru 11-27.. got the flyer in the mail.. seems like flyer is not needed to get the deal... it's gonna be a stampede... 

015521d8.jpg

Huh, the actual hot pot looks nothing like the pictures on the flyer...  be warned of the 'smell' when you first walk in, it's normal...

I went there 2 days straight.. House special hot pot was delicious, also try the Hokkaido milk tea!  It was pretty cool practicing my mandarin with the servers there.

I dare to go to boiling point last night, it was a zoo, didn't even try to put our name down, seems like every UCI student is here or at buffalo wild wings.

I don't know when this happened but I was over at The Crossroads and Pasta Bravo is closed... I read it was supposed to be replaced by another Italian eatery but I don't see any indication of that.

Also closed in that center, La Salsa... Chipotle must have taken away all the fast Mexican food customers. Crossroad has seen the most food place closures in the last few years than I have seen since being in Irvine... it used to have a Wienerdude, a Steak Escape and a few others... sad.

The LA Fitness is almost open (behind schedule I think). Also... not sure if I mentioned this before, but a Wing Stop also opened near the coffee shop (Peet's?).

I'm hoping for another bank or Subway because there doesn't seem to be enough of them in Irvine.  Looking at the Irvine Company site, I may be in luck.  It looks like they're putting in another Chase.  I'm so excited.

I'm looking forward to trying some of the new restaurants (like Class 302 & Costa Vida Fresh Mexican Grill)and hope they'll able to stick around if they're any good.
http://www.shoptheirvinecompany.com/NewStores.aspx

Great link locallocal.

It's probably just Chase because there's already a Subway in that center (how many banks does Irvine need?).

We passed by the Cucina Enoteca italian place last weekend at the Spectrum... upscale place and pricing. Kids menu was like $11! Even Paul Martin's only charges $7.

locolocal said:
I'm hoping for another bank or Subway because there doesn't seem to be enough of them in Irvine.  Looking at the Irvine Company site, I may be in luck.  It looks like they're putting in another Chase.  I'm so excited.

I'm looking forward to trying some of the new restaurants (like Class 302 & Costa Vida Fresh Mexican Grill)and hope they'll able to stick around if they're any good.
http://www.shoptheirvinecompany.com/NewStores.aspx

Every time I get excited about a new building being built, thinking it will be some great new restaurant, it's always a boring bank. What a letdown.

The gas station was the target for a tear down because it occupied a prime corner location. Older Gas stations in Irvine must be maintained well and avoid environmental infraction because the landlord wants to replace them with higher rent tenants. That gas station was cited for leaky tanks and environmental pollution. This should explain why Irvine gas stations are so clean or may be from the pressure of home prices.

There are 2 tenants but there is only one building with a large arch portal separating the 2 spaces.

irvinehomeshopper said:
There are 2 tenants but there is only one building with a large arch portal separating the 2 spaces.
Chase and... another bank? Heh.

The Quail Hill center has like 53 banks.

Back