Retail Openings and Closures

irvinehomeowner said:
Dave's Hot Chicken was okay... giant chicken tenders and pretty expensive. Popeye's still has the best chicken and chicken sandwich for the price.

Agree that Dave's is mediocre. I'm willing to pay their prices for a flawless product like Howlin Rays but that ain't it. It's better than the KFC it replaced but like 2x-3x the price.

Irvine Doc said:
For my money, the best hot chicken sandwich in the area is Cluck Kitchen by the airport.

Cluck Kitchen is SOLID! One of my faves! If you haven't tried Spice-C at Tustin District, also super good! Both options are 10x better than Dave's.

I was next to Cluck yesterday, but already had lunch.

I was going to try Spice-C but ended up at Casa Del Sol in the District... I do not recommend... but they had a good Mariachi band.

irvinehomeowner said:
Someone told me Island?s off Barranca is closing 4/27.

It?s amazing that Mimi?s has survived this long.

Oh shoot... That Islands was another one of my old hang outs.

Why do you think Mimi's would have trouble hanging on?

Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Every time I go there, it?s empty.

This was even before Covid.

If places like Claim Jumpers, Outback, Ruby?s and Marie Callendars can?t stay open in Irvine, doesn?t bode well for Mimi?s.

irvinehomeowner said:
Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Every time I go there, it?s empty.

This was even before Covid.

If places like Claim Jumpers, Outback, Ruby?s and Marie Callendars can?t stay open in Irvine, doesn?t bode well for Mimi?s.

You know what? I actually thought the same thing, but I've been picking up breakfast from there for the last month and it's always crowded now. I don't know what happened, but all of a sudden they have business again.

Actually, breakfast time is probably the busiest time at Mimi's.

Maybe bacon and eggs is the key (esp if you see how crowded breakfast/brunch spots in Irvine are now).

Although MC had a pretty good weekend brunch buffet.

Speaking of... the El Torito Grill of off Main (not the El Torito across from John Wayne) is now a Sol Mexican Cantina.

I Can BBQ at the marketplace is now open.

It was nice not to have to wait to eat Korean bbq.

The place is pretty big. A good amount of open tables as well. Assuming it will get busier as I think it?s only been open for a couple of days

qwerty said:

The place is pretty big. A good amount of open tables as well. Assuming it will get busier as I think it?s only been open for a couple of days

Sweet, that's less than a 5 minute drive from me.  I will definitely be going there soon.

Curry House lovers rejoice! No, they are not re-opening but we will get another Japanese curry option in Irvine.

Maji Curry will be opening at the Walnut Village shopping center on Culver (between the old Burntzilla & Jamba Juice). They have 3 restaurants in Japan and this will be their first US location. The menu appears similar to Coco Ichiban.
https://www.shopirvinecompany.com/centers/irvine/walnut-village-center/maji-curry

Company Website:https://majicurry.com

Sample Menu from Singaporehttps://majicurry.com/singaporemenu/

Google Maps:https://goo.gl/maps/siYHuxoxuWZjpdCD7

qwerty said:

I Can is awesome... if anything like the Oak Creek one... I recommend it.

Speaking of Korean food, one of our favorites, Kaya, north of Heritage Plaza closed after 30(?) years of operation. So sad... didn't know this and drove over there and saw it was gone.

iacrenter said:
Curry House lovers rejoice! No, they are not re-opening but we will get another Japanese curry option in Irvine.

Maji Curry will be opening at the Walnut Village shopping center on Culver (between the old Burntzilla & Jamba Juice).

So basically right next to the old location for Curry House?  I think that used to be an ice cream place.

I wonder what is going into Burntzilla's space.

qwerty said:
Has anyone tried mad dumplings over by UCI? The menu looks great. They have a longoniza dumpling. Longoniza may be my second favorite sausage behind chorizo.
https://www.maddumplings.com/

Ya I tried it at the truck when they were parked daily at Downtown Disney.  I think I tried all the flavors - they were all good but I think my fave was the fried chicken due to the crispy shell.

Back