Retail Openings and Closures

I'm happy that Irvine has finally decided to deviate from the standard bland chain restaurant, but all of these Asian places is getting to be a bit overkill. 

Supply and demand. For every Burger King closes 2 Asian eateries pop up. It is just a matter of time that Irvine becomes another Rowland Heights. Eventually some Thai restaurants will go into the McDonalds.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Supply and demand. For every Burger King closes 2 Asian eateries pop up. It is just a matter of time that Irvine becomes another Rowland Heights. Eventually some Thai restaurants will go into the McDonalds.

Supply and demand indeed.
I?m counting on all those new tutoring/academic enrichment centers springing up around Irvine to help drive the costs down.  ;)

With yelp around, it seems harder now as a start up, all it takes is a couple 1 star reviews from elites to tank ur business.

WoodburyDad said:
traceimage said:
Anyone know what they are building in the parking lot near Target in the Marketplace?

I noticed some framing has gone up but not sure what''s going in there

As always, I'm hoping it's going to be an exciting and delicious new restaurant. But how much do you want to bet it's a bank? That's all they ever build lately.

traceimage said:
WoodburyDad said:
traceimage said:
Anyone know what they are building in the parking lot near Target in the Marketplace?

I noticed some framing has gone up but not sure what''s going in there

As always, I'm hoping it's going to be an exciting and delicious new restaurant. But how much do you want to bet it's a bank? That's all they ever build lately.

Chase?

Daiso grand opening was pretty intense...  $1.50 for almost the entire store, there was a line to get in but moved pretty fast...found my origami papers

Felt like shopping at the $1 section in Target except it was the whole store..

A lot of stuff made in China...gonna start a list for stuff made in Japan

I bet Dollar Tree never gets this kind of reaction...irvine land of the sheep

Best Buy had announced earlier they are closing 50 stores... and I was wondering if any in the area were closing because we have so many... turns out The District's curse continues:
http://stores.bestbuy.com/1472/

That seemed like one of the few places that drew business into The District... so what is going to go there now? Can I petition for a Fry's?

When's the last time you bought anything at Best Buy besides BF?  Video games, DVDs, Blu Ray, all will be a thing of the past.  They have a strained relationship with Apple.  Amazon/internet will always beat their prices due to taxes and overhead..

Best Buy will become CC in a few years.  They are basically the display for amazon and the other lower cost internet sellers.

ps9 said:
When's the last time you bought anything at Best Buy besides BF?  Video games, DVDs, Blu Ray, all will be a thing of the past.  They have a strained relationship with Apple.  Amazon/internet will always beat their prices due to taxes and overhead..
Just bought something there a few weeks ago.

During the holidays when they had a return policy of 90+ days, I bought a few things from them (and ended up not returning any).

For me, I would always want a physical store where I can check something out before I buy it... and if they have it on sale, it sometimes beats Amazon even with tax.

irvinehomeowner said:
Best Buy had announced earlier they are closing 50 stores... and I was wondering if any in the area were closing because we have so many... turns out The District's curse continues:
http://stores.bestbuy.com/1472/

That seemed like one of the few places that drew business into The District... so what is going to go there now? Can I petition for a Fry's?

They still don't have a replacement for Borders. Losing two anchor stores is a big hit.

Irvine retail culture got to offer the best products at the cheapest price. Borders was doomed to fail when consumers see a book at Borders and go home to order it at Amazon. Unless it is some  unsearchable items like the ones at TJ Maxx Home Goods then many non discount retailers in Irvine will continue to die.

I always do that- browse books in a book store, scan the ISBN, buy it on kindle.
Same thing with Best buy - don't remember when I bought the last item there. I visited the store a couple of months ago though.
Home goods and clothes are hard to buy online. The sizes always differ, the look and feel of the actual product are different than the one pictured. So we might always buy them, and of course produce/ dairy in physical stores.

irvinehomeowner said:
locolocal said:
That's actually taking over the Pat&Oscar's spot.

I think it's Chase too going into that new build.

I really don't understand the need for new banks. Who goes to the bank? It's not like it was 20 years ago, when there was a line at the bank on Friday afternoons, with everybody depositing their paychecks. Now you can deposit checks via camera phone and do most of your banking online. Why keep adding new bank buildings all over Irvine?

traceimage said:
irvinehomeowner said:
locolocal said:
That's actually taking over the Pat&Oscar's spot.

I think it's Chase too going into that new build.

I really don't understand the need for new banks. Who goes to the bank? It's not like it was 20 years ago, when there was a line at the bank on Friday afternoons, with everybody depositing their paychecks. Now you can deposit checks via camera phone and do most of your banking online. Why keep adding new bank buildings all over Irvine?
Maybe FCBers don't believe in online banking???

Back