Retail Openings and Closures

There's an Albertson's at Quail Hill shopping plaza.  I used to live nearby and recall due to its location business tend to be slow.  But fewer customers also means safer shopping during COVID times.

Down the hill is Ralphs and Gelsons at Jeffery and Alton.  I did not think Irvine Company would allow 2 supermarkets so close, but they are both doing well.  I still shop at Gelsons occasionally since my office is nearby.

Yeah, that block alone has Albertsons, Sprouts, 7-11, and Target. It's the opposite problem that Great Park has, in terms of retail demand:supply. Given how busy H-Mart is on Alton/Jamboree, I think there is enough demand. In fact, my wife wanted something specific from the Korean market last week. She went in and came back out in like 2 minutes saying it was way too busy/crowded/packed for her comfort level. As soon as I pulled out of the parking spot, someone new zoomed in.

Maybe they will close the small HMart in Diamond Jamboree when they open the one in the Albertsons on Alton???? Parking there is terrible.

There is still a Pavilions for those who shop at the Northpark Albies. Ad is a little different than Albertsons/Vons and their prices for many things are higher, selection in produce is less but it's at least an option.

Cheer up Irvinites........ could be worse..... you could be getting a Stater Bros instead of HMart.

Ready2Downsize said:
Maybe they will close the small HMart in Diamond Jamboree when they open the one in the Albertsons on Alton???? Parking there is terrible.

I think there's enough demand for both. In pre-pandemic times, we enjoyed going to Diamond Jamboree for a more vibrant area to walk around than a typical strip mall. Sometimes we'd stop by H-Mart while walking around and pick up an item or two.

I tried calling Gina's Pizza of of Campus near UCI and their Google Maps says their closed, so I just checked their website:

To our Guests and Fans of Gina's Pizza Irvine,

We truly can't thank you enough for all the years of your loyalty and patronage. While we recently closed after almost 20 years at this location, we anticipate returning to the Irvine area soon!

In the meantime, please visit us for takeout at our original location in Corona Del Mar which is celebrating its 45th year in business, or one of our sister locations in Newport Beach, Laguna Beach or Costa Mesa!

We are here to welcome you and appreciate your support,

The Gina's Pizza Famiglia

That's too bad... I just rediscovered this place too.

irvinehomeowner said:
I tried calling Gina's Pizza of of Campus near UCI and their Google Maps says their closed, so I just checked their website:

To our Guests and Fans of Gina's Pizza Irvine,

We truly can't thank you enough for all the years of your loyalty and patronage. While we recently closed after almost 20 years at this location, we anticipate returning to the Irvine area soon!

In the meantime, please visit us for takeout at our original location in Corona Del Mar which is celebrating its 45th year in business, or one of our sister locations in Newport Beach, Laguna Beach or Costa Mesa!

We are here to welcome you and appreciate your support,

The Gina's Pizza Famiglia

That's too bad... I just rediscovered this place too.
Rumor is a SGT. Pepperoni's will be opening in its place at this location.

irvinehomeowner said:
Heard a rumor that the Albertson's on Alton and Culver will be closing in Feb and replaced by a Super HMart.

Same thing with the Albertson's up by Northpark.

Anyone heard this too? I think it's on NextDoor.

Not a rumor anymore. Both stores will close by February 19th and be replaced by HMarts.

==============================
https://www.ocregister.com/2021/01/...g-in-february-with-h-mart-taking-their-place/

By Kevin Smith | kvsmith@scng.com | San Gabriel Valley Tribune
PUBLISHED: January 25, 2021 at 4:39 p.m. | UPDATED: January 25, 2021 at 4:59 p.m.

2 Albertsons in Irvine closing in February with H Mart taking their place
The stores will cease operation by Feb. 19.

"Two underperforming Albertsons supermarkets in Irvine are closing next month and will be replaced by Asian-owned H Mart grocery stores.

In a statement issued Monday, the Southern California division of Albertsons, Vons and Pavilions announced the closure of stores at 3931 Irvine Blvd. and 3825 Alton Parkway. They are expected to cease operation by Feb. 19.

?Like all retailers, we are continually evaluating the performance of our stores,? the company said. ?Closing a store is always a tough decision, but we are focused on growing our business by being the favorite local supermarket and running stores where people love to shop.?

Workers at the stores were notified of the pending closures Jan. 5. The company said its human resources team is working with the employees and their union to share employment opportunities at surrounding stores.

Officials with United Food and Commercial Workers Local 324, which represent the workers, said the move will result in ?a loss of good union jobs for the city,? although the organization was informed that members placed at other stores will retain their wages, benefits and seniority.

The closures will impact roughly 60 employees at each location. The Irvine Boulevard Albertsons is  52,120 square feet and the Alton Parkway store is 59,974 square feet.

The new H Mart supermarkets are scheduled to open by the end of the year.

Headquartered in Lyndhurst, N.J., H Mart has 97 locations nationwide.

H Mart stores can be found throughout Southern California in Arcadia, Buena Park, Cerritos, Diamond Bar, Garden Grove, Irvine, Los Angeles and Torrance. Additional  stores can be found in San Diego and San Jose.

The Korean-American markets offer a broad range of food, including meat, seafood, curry, Ramen noodles, seasonings, seaweed, rice and grains, as well as health supplements, beauty products, clothing and kitchen items.

Supermarkets have been considered essential businesses during the COVID-19 pandemic, but like other businesses that handle a large daily influx of shoppers they have grappled with virus outbreaks among workers.

A recent report from NBC 4 noted 146 outbreaks last month alone at supermarkets in the southern part of Los Angeles County and in Orange County, according to data obtained from UFCW, Local 324. That includes outbreaks at 31 Ralphs stores, 17 Vons and 16 Albertsons supermarkets."

==============================

Wienerschnitzel at Walnut and Jeffrey has closed and is being replaced by a KFC.

I wish 7 Leaves moved over there so they could have a drive thru.

John said:
Wienerschnitzel at Walnut and Jeffrey has closed and is being replaced by a KFC.

Did you see the sign in the Drive Thru at Weinershnitzel?  It's hand written and says something like...

"We are closed... FOREVER"  <Big Frowny Face>

Kinda funny.

John said:

Sad, but not surprising.

Ice House (next to it in the parking lot) looks closed as well.

Back