Retail Openings and Closures

qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Nextdoor is so useful for this stuff.

Looks like Square One Pizza finally closed. I've only been there a few times a few years ago. We used to go to Pasta Pomodoro which it replaced. I think it's hard to compete with the BYO pizza places unless you add full sportsbar type amenities (beers, TVs etc).

Also, a friend told me that Coffee Bean over near Harvard closed and is going to be replaced by Poached Neighborhood Kitchen, another breakfast/brunch place:
https://www.poachedkitchen.com/

Went to Flight Mess Hall yesterday. Had Sandwich Society... very expensive but pretty good. I want to try the fried chicken at Fowl Play and the Mexican food place (qwerty?).

The Mexican food and burger place are both very tasty. Would highly recommend

What?s the price range?
Scratch that I?m not going. I?ll just hit up Del Taco with a coupon. If I want Mexican food. (You know how I roll!)

I know not in Irvine, but the Dickey's in that Lake Forest center off of Lake Forest and Ridge Route closed, also the pizza place near it that was 2 different owners closed too. And, they are building more stores... when they can't even fill their existing ones. Plus parking is a nightmare there.

I wonder who makes those retail decisions. BTW: There is still an IHOP there for anyone who misses them. It's not that far, right next to the Irvine Auto Center (and there is The Hat right across the street for any pastrami fans).

zubs said:
Out of the 3 above I like flappy jacks the most.

Is that the one off the 55? I see it but it's usually after breakfast... do they serve breakfast all day?

I'm going to visit this place just because you rec'd it.

The one off 55.  Use to be a spires, but now is a flappy jacks.
Go there early or late, but not prime time, as it is an hour wait.

I'm sure you'll like it.  Food is done well.  I think it closes at 2pm.

zubs said:
I think it closes at 2pm.

Grrr... just Googled... it closes at 3pm. I'm usually driving by in the afternoon. I can't really go in the morning because outside my IF window... maybe I'll cheat one day.

So I was able to hit Flappy.

I think I may have visited the Glendora location years ago because the 50s Diner/Hollywood decor seemed familiar.

The menu is much like Original Pancake House but more expensive. Food was good... what you expect from a diner/breakfast place... no fru-fru so much more my style. :)

So looks like Churned Creamery is out in Woodbury Town Center and One Zo Boba has opened in that spot.  Finally a Boba place in WTC... Haven?t tried it yet but Brown Sugar Milk Tea looks good and BOGO 50% off in Retail Therapy App.

Onezo is known for their boba. Drinks are okay. But definitely an A level choice here in Irvine. Can?t wait for the lines to die down.

The Churned in our area was closed out as well. Looks like asking $7.00 a scoop isn't quite the sustainable business model some had thought it might be.

Soylent Green Is People said:
The Churned in our area was closed out as well. Looks like asking $7.00 a scoop isn't quite the sustainable business model some had thought it might be.

Their ice cream wasn't that good either.  I enjoy my Tillamook ice cream for a lot less.

I believe if the food is good, then the good business outcome will follow. If they just open one for the money, people will lose interest soon.

Soylent Green Is People said:

Back when minimum wage was $5.00, a combo meal at Mcdonalds was also around $5.00
Now that the minimum wage is $12.00, a combo meal at Mcdonalds is $9.00

I see that as wage growth...at least against fast food.

iacrenter said:
B2FiNiTY said:
Onezo is known for their boba. Drinks are okay. But definitely an A level choice here in Irvine. Can?t wait for the lines to die down.

I like Omomo for drinks but the long lines scare me away. Does anyone know if they are still crowded?
https://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,1956.msg341392.html#msg341392

Go on a Monday-Thursday evening, the lines will be 5min or less.

Anxious to try Onezo Brown sugar milk tea and boba, sounds pretty good. 

For ice cream I still think creamistry is best.  I typically don?t like the chain places but creamistry ice cream has the best texture and stays chewy and solid most the way through.  Thai Tea ice cream with marshmallows mixed in, yummmmmmm...

Went to Stacks the other day (trying to get in that last outdoor dining) and saw that both the sandwich place (forgot the name) and The Little Onion (mexican restaurant) both closed.

Got takeout from the Irvine Grill in Quail Hill... probably the best Persian/Mediterranean food in Irvine to us... beats our previous favorite, House of Kabob.

Have been to Poached Neighborhood Kitchen a few times now, they are decent as a breakfast place... and yes qwerty... I finally tried Breakfast Republic... also good.

Also Json Ramen opened in Crossroads, it's the same as the one in the Tustin Marketplace food court where Natraj and Baja Fresh are.

Can't believe it's been over a year since anyone has posted in this thread.

I really like the spicy beef bowl a J San ramen. I noticed about a week or two ago they opened another location on barranca - glad to hear the food is the same. I?ll probably start going there as it?s a little easier to get in/out than the marketplace

I never even got a chance to try potbelly or the little onion :-(

Potbelly! Couldn't remember the name.

Little Onion was meh. Still can't find a good Mexican restaurant in Irvine.

Also, La Boulangerie (?) bakery/cafe opened in that Alton center where Omomo is.

And right next to Famous Dave's, Pandor (also bakery/cafe) is opening (if it's like the one in Newport, it will be pretty good).

There is some Udon place opening somewhere but I forget where.

The Monster snow dessert place in the university center closed a while ago.

Back