Retail closures in Irvine

[quote author="traceimage" date=1251266965]I just noticed last night that Dickey's BBQ on Irvine Center and Jeffrey is now closed. Too bad. There's not a lot of places to get BBQ in Irvine.</blockquote>
That center has a high lease too.

There is still Joey's in the Irvine/Tustin Marketplace and I think the one in Old Town Tustin off of El Camino Real is still open.

[quote author="GraceOMalley" date=1251255110]Wow, I should shut up now.</blockquote>

I think you should put back your other post. Now it looks like ABC123 and I are agreeing with your decision (ha, ha). :red:

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1251254592]The old Pavilions was never really busy. Having Ralph's just down the road didn't help.

It's funny because you think that center would be really packed considering how hard it is to find parking on some days but you walk in to the center area and there is hardly anyone there. The only reason I visit there is Ruby's (Kids Eat Free Night on Tuesdays!)</blockquote>

The Pavilions was the anchor store for the center. When they closed their doors the center started to die. Granted Ralph's (also an anchor store) is just down the road but you still need to drive to get there. It would be nice to see a small Bristol Farms or Whole Foods go in there which might bring the center back to life. When we would go to Ruby's we would also hit the bookstore and if they had a market I would stop and grab some milk. See where I'm going with this.

Rumor has it that Bacchus Wine will be back. I was over at Wine Works in MV the other day with my GF.

The owner there keeps up on his competition. Guess they may have a new partner and some new funding

as well as some concessions from our friends at TIC who may be realizing the tumbleweeds dont pay

much rent and commercial costs need to come down or its going to kill off the QH Center.

[quote author="bltserv" date=1251330217]Rumor has it that Bacchus Wine will be back. I was over at Wine Works in MV the other day with my GF.

The owner there keeps up on his competition. Guess they may have a new partner and some new funding

as well as some concessions from our friends at TIC who may be realizing the tumbleweeds dont pay

much rent and commercial costs need to come down or its going to kill off the QH Center.</blockquote>
I'm theorizing the same thing.

The note they used to have up didn't say they were closing for good and the fact that the signage is still up (TIC is very vigilant in taking down signage) points to that possibility.

[quote author="Cameray" date=1251329192]

The Pavilions was the anchor store for the center. When they closed their doors the center started to die. Granted Ralph's (also an anchor store) is just down the road but you still need to drive to get there. It would be nice to see a small Bristol Farms or Whole Foods go in there which might bring the center back to life. When we would go to Ruby's we would also hit the bookstore and if they had a market I would stop and grab some milk. See where I'm going with this.</blockquote>
Chicken/egg.

The center was already declining before Pavilions closed. It was probably a deciding factor for them not to renew their lease. I agree something like Sprouts or a small "organic" grocer type store may do better in there. Even a Trader Joes (but there are already 2 in Irvine).

I just find it interesting that they went towards the medical/dental slant with that center... as if there isn't enough in that area already. Are they assuming that the Woodbridge age demographic is getting older?

Maybe we should start a new thread called Retail Re-openings...

Today I got this email...Bacchus' Secret Cellar in Quail Hill is coming back!

-----------------------------------------------------

Yes, It is True

Bacchus' is Re-opening !

A shake up in ownership, a new look, same great wine selection, and same awesome staff! Orange County's top wine shop and wine bar will be even better!

We will keep you posted as to our progress. Currently we are looking at a mid-fall opening date which will be just in time for holiday shopping!

We are also taking reservations for holiday parties and private events. For further information e-mail brian@bacchussecretcellar.com

Thank you for your continued support

-------------------------------------------------------

I see this as a sign that the housing bottom has passed! ;-)

I went to Starbucks this morning in Quail Hill Center.

Signage out front of Starbucks Sez.

Bacchus Secret Wine Cellar.

Same Logo

"Under New Ownership"

"Opening Soon"

Thats it. The bottom is in. Time to Buy.

I wonder how much of a concession they received from TIC on rent ?

[quote author="bltserv" date=1253142327]

I wonder how much of a concession they received from TIC on rent ?</blockquote>
That's what I want to know.

Doesn't Bren's son have a company called Bacchus? I'm sure there is no relation but what a co-ink-a-dink.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1253156792][quote author="bltserv" date=1253142327]

Doesn't Bren's son have a company called Bacchus? I'm sure there is no relation but what a co-ink-a-dink.</blockquote>

his legitimate or illegitimate son?

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1253156792][quote author="bltserv" date=1253142327]

Doesn't Bren's son have a company called Bacchus? I'm sure there is no relation but what a co-ink-a-dink.</blockquote>

I bet all the Merchant`s at Quail Hill "Want to Know".

<a href="http://fastfood.freedomblogging.com/2009/09/16/zagat-rated-italian-eatery-closes-in-irvine/33807/">Vessia Ristorante</a> in the Crossroads center closed. Another one of those places I've been meaning to try, but never got around to it.

I also noticed the coffee shop (don't remember the name) near the IHOP, Ralphs, Pho Bac on University/Michelson closed and will be replaced by a subway.

I've noticed the several new temporary tenants at the Spectrum. There's a Taryn Rose outlet, Toys R Us outlet, and of course the huge Halloween costume store where Fox Sports Grill used to be. Never a good sign when landlords have to resort to these type of tenants, but especially bad sign when they're in key prominent spaces.

[quote author="acpme" date=1255144287]I've noticed the several new temporary tenants at the Spectrum. There's a Taryn Rose outlet, Toys R Us outlet, and of course the huge Halloween costume store where Fox Sports Grill used to be. Never a good sign when landlords have to resort to these type of tenants, but especially bad sign when they're in key prominent spaces.</blockquote>

Fox Sports Grill is gone??? Gee, I guess I haven't been over to that end of the Spectrum in a while.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1243911664][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1243906671]

The Juice It Up (I think it was JIU) at the Irvine Marketplace has been replaced by a Yogurt Land, Enzo Noodles has been replaced by a Noodles and Dumplings place (or renamed/rebranded). </blockquote>

I went there last night for dinner and noticed that Yogurt Land and Dumpling place for the first time. I was going to order from the Noodle & Dumpling place but had no idea what they served. The menu is in Korean (I think) and English but I think the English words must be very much an abridged version of what's in Korean. For example, I think one item was "beef noodle". What does that mean? The menu also had no pictures. I ended up just leaving and going somewhere else but it's too bad because it would be nice to try if I could figure out how or what to order.</blockquote>

we tired the cold noodles, i think its an improvement to Enzos...

was really looking forward to a milk-tea with coffee jelly at cefiore at DJ today, but they are closed... looks like the first retail causality at DJ...

it was only a matter of time I guess; Pastagina at Woodbury shut their doors... I'm not sure how long now, but they NEVER had any customers... You know something is up when they were charging $9 for a bowel of fast-food pasta. I will always be loyal to them, they got us through the first few weeks in Woodbury, countless freebies from IAC, nice servers, and staff... I always like the biz model....

[quote author="roundcorners" date=1256464080].. You know something is up when they were charging $9 for a <strong>bowel</strong> of fast-food pasta. ..</blockquote>

To further cut expenses instead of napkin the order comes with toilet paper.

Back