Retail closures in Irvine

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1244599180]The shopping off Culver and Barranca has had some recent store closings, including Mervyns.</blockquote>
[forehead slap emoticon] Uh... yeah... that's Crossroads.

The thing about that center was it used to be the strongest in Irvine since it was centrally located and anchored by Target... the Wienerdude, Steak Escape and Chinese place were there forever. Now it's a ghost town... no Tilly's, no Famous Footwear, no Mervyn's... almost half of the entire row between Target and Mervyn's is vacant. I wonder if part of that is due to the District being so close by.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1244600186][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1244599180]The shopping off Culver and Barranca has had some recent store closings, including Mervyns.</blockquote>
[forehead slap emoticon] Uh... yeah... that's Crossroads.

The thing about that center was it used to be the strongest in Irvine since it was centrally located and anchored by Target... the Wienerdude, Steak Escape and Chinese place were there forever. Now it's a ghost town... no Tilly's, no Famous Footwear, no Mervyn's... almost half of the entire row between Target and Mervyn's is vacant. I wonder if part of that is due to the District being so close by.</blockquote>
I didn't know the name of that center, I'm not the Irvinite that you are. haha The center up by Orchard Hills is also sucking wind, you could hear a pin drop in the center.

Yeah... I know... just giving you a hard time. The Mutual Fund Store and I think it was Countrywide has also closed at Crossroads, the ones between Citibank and Sprint.

There have been some closures in the Woodbury Town Center too I think.

Seriously... I have never seen so many empty retail places in Irvine in the last 2+ decades.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1244609561]Yeah... I know... just giving you a hard time. The Mutual Fund Store and I think it was Countrywide has also closed at Crossroads, the ones between Citibank and Sprint.

There have been some closures in the Woodbury Town Center too I think.

Seriously... I have never seen so many empty retail places in Irvine in the last 2+ decades.</blockquote>
Unfortunately, it will get worse before it gets better. When in-line Irvine tenants are paying $3/sf - $5/sf triple net, they won't have long for this world if they don't have strong sales and/or deep corporate pockets.

There are places in Irvine that charge only $3 per sft? Must not be TIC centers... hehe.

And even deep corporate pockets aren't immune... which makes it worse for mom/pops.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1244614219]There are places in Irvine that charge only $3 per sft? Must not be TIC centers... hehe.

And even deep corporate pockets aren't immune... which makes it worse for mom/pops.</blockquote>
Yeah, the older retail centers like off Jeffery/Irvine Center Drive and Culver/Irvine Center Drive you probablyhave $3-$3.50/sf for the in-line retail stores.

This is just a little side note. Quite a few of the advertised prices at the Pavilions in Orchard Hills are cheaper than the other surrounding Vons/Pavilions. Last week tropicana o.j was $2.00 at the one at Pavilions and $2.50 everywhere else. This week breyers ice cream is $2.50 everywhere else and $2.19 at Orchard Hills. I wonder if that store is really hurting.

[quote author="ABC123" date=1244672059]This is just a little side note. Quite a few of the advertised prices at the Pavilions in Orchard Hills are cheaper than the other surrounding Vons/Pavilions. Last week tropicana o.j was $2.00 at the one at Pavilions and $2.50 everywhere else. This week breyers ice cream is $2.50 everywhere else and $2.19 at Orchard Hills. I wonder if that store is really hurting.</blockquote>

Oh, I am going to head over there for the ice cream. Thanks!

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1244597128][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1244593235]We've actually started eating at Crystal Jade (the chinese restaraunt) semi-regularly... there are always people there whenever we go and that could range from weekday evenings to weekends... on Sundays it gets pretty crowded because they have a dim sum brunch.

Never been to Lucca... they look a bit expensive and not sure how family friendly they are. We will probably go there one of these days.

I was in Thai Bamboo last night getting take-out and it was one of the few times there was no one there.</blockquote>
How good is the food at Crystal Jade? I never been there. I might get flamed for this but I prefer Thai Spice to Thai Bamboo.</blockquote>

USC

I eat there a couple times a month. Usually sit at the bar or take out. I talk quite often to the nice lady thats the Manager/Owner. She admits to business being tough

and openly complains about TIC and her rental costs. But she says she is going to stay open.

The foods not bad at all. Seems very consistant on the quality side. I tried the Dim Sum

a couple times. I guess I am still thinking about my San Gabriel Valley restaurants that did Dim Sum so I wasnt that impresssed. As others have said. This restaurant seems to have a following of locals who like it. And I do see several Asians whenever I dine there.

As far as the next QH victim. My guess is the Cleaners.

I wonder how much the TIC is going to charge the tumbleweeds for rent ?

[quote author="bltserv" date=1244678577][quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1244597128][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1244593235]We've actually started eating at Crystal Jade (the chinese restaraunt) semi-regularly... there are always people there whenever we go and that could range from weekday evenings to weekends... on Sundays it gets pretty crowded because they have a dim sum brunch.

Never been to Lucca... they look a bit expensive and not sure how family friendly they are. We will probably go there one of these days.

I was in Thai Bamboo last night getting take-out and it was one of the few times there was no one there.</blockquote>
How good is the food at Crystal Jade? I never been there. I might get flamed for this but I prefer Thai Spice to Thai Bamboo.</blockquote>

USC

I eat there a couple times a month. Usually sit at the bar or take out. I talk quite often to the nice lady thats the Manager/Owner. She admits to business being tough

and openly complains about TIC and her rental costs. But she says she is going to stay open.

The foods not bad at all. Seems very consistant on the quality side. I tried the Dim Sum

a couple times. I guess I am still thinking about my San Gabriel Valley restaurants that did Dim Sum so I wasnt that impresssed. As others have said. This restaurant seems to have a following of locals who like it. And I do see several Asians whenever I dine there.

As far as the next QH victim. My guess is the Cleaners.

I wonder how much the TIC is going to charge the tumbleweeds for rent ?</blockquote>
I'll have to give it a try. So you don't think Dogma is the next one on the chopping block? Although, I do remember the dry cleaners raising their prices earlier this year...the cost is some crazy amount to dry cleaner a blazer like $8.

St. Ives was the next victim at QH.

I have no idea what type of store it was (furniture? apparel?) but apparently it's been around for 16 years and they are still thinking about opening another location (based on their note on the front door).

What I find interesting is all of Quizno's signage has been removed and TIC window covering has been put up but the Bachhus Wine Cellar sign is still there (could they be renegotiating a re-opening?).

The frame place is still open, as is Dogma. How do these places survive? The busiest location at QH is the Cox Cable store.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1251251936]St. Ives was the next victim at QH.

I have no idea what type of store it was (furniture? apparel?) but apparently it's been around for 16 years and they are still thinking about opening another location (based on their note on the front door).

What I find interesting is all of Quizno's signage has been removed and TIC window covering has been put up but the Bachhus Wine Cellar sign is still there (could they be renegotiating a re-opening?).

The frame place is still open, as is Dogma. How do these places survive? The busiest location at QH is the Cox Cable store.</blockquote>

I'm sorry to hear about St. Ives. Didn't they use to be in the shopping center where Stein Mart is on Barranca?

[quote author="Cameray" date=1251252681][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1251251936]St. Ives was the next victim at QH.

The frame place is still open, as is Dogma. How do these places survive? The busiest location at QH is the Cox Cable store.</blockquote>

I'm sorry to hear about St. Ives. Didn't they use to be in the shopping center where Stein Mart is on Barranca?</blockquote>
I believe you are correct... the Woodbridge Town Center.

Speaking of... it's nice to see that budget Family Five theatre doing well... there is always line right before showtimes of family movies.

The rest of that center is depressing, where there used to be restaurants and other retail is now medical offices. Sticky Fingers is still alive and they serve Shave Ice (I don't know when they added that).

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1251253070][quote author="Cameray" date=1251252681][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1251251936]St. Ives was the next victim at QH.

I'm sorry to hear about St. Ives. Didn't they use to be in the shopping center where Stein Mart is on Barranca?</blockquote>
I believe you are correct... the Woodbridge Town Center.

Speaking of... it's nice to see that budget Family Five theatre doing well... there is always line right before showtimes of family movies.

The rest of that center is depressing, where there used to be restaurants and other retail is now medical offices. Sticky Fingers is still alive and they serve Shave Ice (I don't know when they added that).</blockquote>

IMO the center needs a market. Find another home for Stein Mart and put a market back in.

The old Pavilions was never really busy. Having Ralph's just down the road didn't help.

It's funny because you think that center would be really packed considering how hard it is to find parking on some days but you walk in to the center area and there is hardly anyone there. The only reason I visit there is Ruby's (Kids Eat Free Night on Tuesdays!)

If I remember correctly there is only one center in Irvine not owned by the TIC. I could be wrong but I think it's Heritage Plaza (right by the 5 fwy).

I'm pretty sure there are others - like the in northwood with the zion market, the center across from IVC, the one on jeffrey with the 99 ranch market and the one across from that, one on barranca in woodbridge with the pizza place, bakery and the philly sandwich place. i think the one with trader joes on walnut/culver is also non-irvine company. i'm not really sure about any of these places just that they are not as aesthetically pleasing but they have a lot more mom & pop, ethnic and non chain stores.

ABC: You are mostly right, but the Trader Joe's one is also TIC.

Heritage Square, the plaza above Heritage Plaza is also non-TIC.

There is a small center on Trabuco/Yale that has liquor store, Kumon, pet hospital that is non-TIC.

But even the non-TIC places have crazy lease prices because they are trying to keep up with TIC. That Trabuco/Yale center used to be reasonable but I inquired about it and it was also in the $3+ range.

When big chain stores/eateries can't make it in Irvine... you know there are problems with lease pricing.

I just noticed last night that Dickey's BBQ on Irvine Center and Jeffrey is now closed. Too bad. There's not a lot of places to get BBQ in Irvine.

Back