Retail closures in Irvine

First Class Pizza in the Harvard/Main plaza just closed a week or so ago. Never ate there but was going to last week and they were gone.

I just noticed the surf/skate shop in Alton Plaza looks like it closed too. They had expanded from the the area they were at near Starbucks years ago and now they disappeared. I wonder how long that same type of store in Oak Creek (took over the Sunshine Christian space) is going to last?

I drive through the Airport Business Center run by Koll regularly and there are a huge amount of vacancies there.

The Crossroads center looks like a ghost town with Mervyn's gone and long time tenants like Tilly's, Weinerdude, Steak Escape and the shoe stores all gone. Although it looks like a place called Yogurt Mania(?) is opening where the old Juice place was.

Juice It Up in the Quail Hill Center closed about a week ago and like I posted earlier... I think the Quizno's is done there too.

I haven't seen this many places go under in the last 25 years in Irvine... maybe TIC will get smart and lower their leasing prices to something affordable.

Does anyone know when the black angus at the marketplace shut down? We went there for lunch a couple of weekends ago and it was shut down.

<a href="http://'http://fastfood.freedomblogging.com/2009/03/13/2-more-oc-restaurants-closed-for-business/15249/'">Black Angus closed early March 2009</a>

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1241492310]

Juice It Up in the Quail Hill Center closed about a week ago and like I posted earlier... I think the Quizno's is done there too.

I haven't seen this many places go under in the last 25 years in Irvine... maybe TIC will get smart and lower their leasing prices to something affordable.</blockquote>

Dream on. TIC will squeeze every cent it can. Judging from the way they have handled the Spectrum. They would just let it stay empty before they negotiate the rents lower.

Here is the latest on the Quail Hill closures.

<a href="http://www.ocregister.com/articles/center-irvine-aarp-2381111-quail-hill">http://www.ocregister.com/articles/center-irvine-aarp-2381111-quail-hill</a>

Looks like Rachaels is closing. Quiznos is gone. Juice it up is gone.

And the "Art and Frame" place is not long for this world either.

<a href="http://irvineretail.freedomblogging.com/2009/04/28/two-more-retailers-close-at-quail-hill/4447/">http://irvineretail.freedomblogging.com/2009/04/28/two-more-retailers-close-at-quail-hill/4447/</a>

The Cleaners I stopped going to has got to be hurting. And that Albertsons is a joke

pricewise compared to the Ralphs on Alton.

And in the Article above the Arco guy says he is losing money every month.

I just dont see how these business people can survive without some concessions

on rent from TIC.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1241492310]

I haven't seen this many places go under in the last 25 years in Irvine... maybe TIC will get smart and lower their leasing prices to something affordable.</blockquote>

TIC is a large corp. As such they don't know or don't understand.... If 20M worth of rent went next door to Tustin or Lake Forest, they'd just probably wrinkle their nose and wait it out.

Common sense as it were....

-bix

TIC is afraid to lose its brand image by lowering rent and prices. If Bren does lower rent for one others want the same concession as well. The repercussion is too harmful to the pocket book. It is better to see a few tenants go than to lowering rent for over 5,000 of his retail tenants.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1241499167]TIC is afraid to lose its brand image by lowering rent and prices.</blockquote>

That and they want to extract every last dime they can from their tenants...

Again, more proof that certain neighborhoods are not "recession proof". I took my son to the dentist last week and 50% of the businesses in the complex were gone (this is in Orange), it was full a year ago. I read early last year that a minimum of 20% of businesses were expected to go under this year alone, looks like it is coming to pass.

I was at the mall in Mission Viejo this weekend. Although the foot traffic seemed light, and I did see Ritz camera closing up, it did appear as if more walkers were carrying bags around with them.

[quote author="bltserv" date=1241495270]Here is the latest on the Quail Hill closures.

<a href="http://www.ocregister.com/articles/center-irvine-aarp-2381111-quail-hill">http://www.ocregister.com/articles/center-irvine-aarp-2381111-quail-hill</a>

</blockquote>
I'm not sure if it's just the location or signage that affects the QH center because surely others would have the same problem... like the Orchard Hills center. There are only apartments and NorthPark to feed that center and it's nowhere near a freeway.

Most retail centers service multiple neighborhoods and the QH one isn't that far from Oak Creek. It's probably even closer to the homes on the east side of Oak Creek than it is to homes on the east side of QH.

My wife talked to the owner of Juice It Up and it's more the overall economy than anything. She said that before, the line used to be very long at lunchtime from local businesses in the Spectrum... but now she gets (or got) hardly anyone during the same time. The sad part is we just started getting back into the whole blended juice thing and now we have to drive to Alton Plaza for our "fix".

I used to live in Quail Hill before moving to Northpark. Two-three years ago you couldn't find a parking spot during lunch. I never really liked any place in that plaza anyways.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1241503070][quote author="bltserv" date=1241495270]Here is the latest on the Quail Hill closures.

</blockquote>
I'm not sure if it's just the location or signage that affects the QH center because surely others would have the same problem... like the Orchard Hills center. There are only apartments and NorthPark to feed that center and it's nowhere near a freeway.

Most retail centers service multiple neighborhoods and the QH one isn't that far from Oak Creek. It's probably even closer to the homes on the east side of Oak Creek than it is to homes on the east side of QH.

My wife talked to the owner of Juice It Up and it's more the overall economy than anything. She said that before, the line used to be very long at lunchtime from local businesses in the Spectrum... but now she gets (or got) hardly anyone during the same time. The sad part is we just started getting back into the whole blended juice thing and now we have to drive to Alton Plaza for our "fix".</blockquote>

My whole family loves smoothies. Target has a "slushee maker" for $20, I bought one last week. It is perfect for one large smoothie and you can make it in 3 minutes or less. The only clean-up is washing the cup (the smoothie is made in the cup). I don't think it was designed for this but I figured that if it blends up ice in seconds, it would be even quicker with fruit. Just stock the freezer with frozen fruit or buy fresh. Much cheaper and easier than driving to the smoothie store.

Retailers struggled and just began their coupon campaign. It is too late!

Bed Bath and Beyond offered coupons for years and they honor expired coupons all the time. They are doing much better than other bath stores. What other bath stores? Linen N Things went BK.

Borders offers coupons for a long time and it is doing well while Barnes and Noble just started coupons trying to lure shoppers back into the store.

The stores doing well are the stores that started aggressive coupon program several years ago. Customers go back to the same stores with coupons and do not shop at other competing stores they are not familiar with. Petsmart is doing better than Petco because of the coupons.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1241511941]

Bed Bath and Beyond offered coupons for years and they honor expired coupons all the time. They are doing much better than other bath stores. What other bath stores? Linen N Things went BK.</blockquote>

Update on the BB&B coupons. For the first time, I just received one in the mail that now says in all caps: "COUPON CANNOT BE ACCEPTED AFTER 5/26/09"

Well that's disappointing.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1243761281][quote author="bkshopr" date=1241511941]

Bed Bath and Beyond offered coupons for years and they honor expired coupons all the time. They are doing much better than other bath stores. What other bath stores? Linen N Things went BK.</blockquote>

Update on the BB&B coupons. For the first time, I just received one in the mail that now says in all caps: "COUPON CANNOT BE ACCEPTED AFTER 5/26/09"

Well that's disappointing.</blockquote>
Especially if you received it today, 4 days after expiration.

[quote author="jumpcut" date=1243761963]

Especially if you received it today, 4 days after expiration.</blockquote>

LOL. I was exaggerating about "just" receiving it. I did receive it before expiration. Although sometimes with other places, I get them after the fact and that sucks too. haha.

[quote author="jumpcut" date=1243760979]Fatburger, Trabuco Grove - CLOSED</blockquote>
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Although, the couple of times I went there almost I was the only customer inside. I'm wondering if the Fat Burger in Park Place will close too.

It's already been mentioned, but the Quiznos and Juice It Up spaces over in the Quail Hill went dark earlier this month. The Dogma store is next up to shut down.

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1243766463][quote author="jumpcut" date=1243760979]Fatburger, Trabuco Grove - CLOSED</blockquote>
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Although, the couple of times I went there almost I was the only customer inside. I'm wondering if the Fat Burger in Park Place will close too.</blockquote>
That plaza would be completely dead if it wasn't for Kohl's...and they're only busy on weekends when they have their sales. Go in there on a Tuesday and you can shoot a cannon down the main aisle without hitting anyone.

Back