President Trump

This was actually Bernie's initial idea (I doubt he will get any mention at all). Threaten to cut off government/military contracts if they choose to move their furnace manufacturing from Indiana to Mexico. There are no details yet, but it seems that this was being discussed as well as the state of Indiana subsidizing the operation via tax exemptions.

It's great that they can keep jobs in the US. Trump will have to start micromanaging individual companies at 200x the pace to make a meaningful impact.

My company serves plants in USA, Asia, and Mexico.  There has always been pressure to move the US plants production to another country.  With Trump winning the election, that pressure has lessened.

For the people who still have factory jobs in USA they should be happy Trump won. 
For the big companies like Carrier who has to compete with cheap Chinese AC makers...not so much.

You are missing the point. Its not about the specific numbers, its the change in attitude which establishes a new tactical and strategic reaction to the coming reality.  You think just one job would stay if Hillary had won?  Not a chance...the trend has begun and he's not even in office yet...the trend is your friend!

morekaos said:
You are missing the point. Its not about the specific numbers, its the change in attitude which establishes a new tactical and strategic reaction to the coming reality.  You think just one job would stay if Hillary had won?  Not a chance...the trend has begun and he's not even in office yet...the trend is your friend!

It's hypocrisy at its finest. Any Democrat would have been lambasted for this level of meddling in the private sector.

The one thing I would love to see out of this trend of "meddling with the market" is lifting the prohibition on the US government to bargain Medicare drug prices with pharmaceutical companies.

Meddling like cash for clunkers, Solindra, Tesla, Fisker, HAMP, HEMP, Shovel ready infrastructure projects?...that is failed policy and meddling...this is winning!

Trump doesn't have to micromanage anything.  His presidency will make CEO's think twice before moving their production out of USA. 

I recently quoted a package that would save a company half a million a year if they moved their production from USA to Asia....I don't think I'm gonna get that business.

morekaos said:
Meddling like cash for clunkers, Solindra, Tesla, Fisker, HAMP, HEMP, Shovel ready infrastructure projects?...that is failed policy and meddling...this is winning!

Auto industry bailout saved about 1.5 million jobs

They should have been allowed to bk and reorg. Airline industry operated under those terms for years. Ford did not need a bailout while Chrysler was sold to the Italians and GM bailed out a hedge fund (Cerberus) and a union (UAW). Huge wastes of money.

morekaos said:
They should have been allowed to bk and reorg. Airline industry operated under those terms for years. Ford did not need a bailout while Chrysler was sold to the Italians and GM bailed out a hedge fund (Cerberus) and a union (UAW). Huge wastes of money.

...  those Carrier jobs were also union (USW).

In for a ride folks.

Dr. Price is ready to dissect Obamacare in 2 months. This administration is not kidding around.

zubs said:
Trump doesn't have to micromanage anything.  His presidency will make CEO's think twice before moving their production out of USA. 

Why will they think twice about it?

Movingup said:
In for a ride folks.

Dr. Price is ready to dissect Obamacare in 2 months. This administration is not kidding around.

Don't forget privatizing modernizing Medicare

tim said:
zubs said:

Why will they think twice about it?

The people around the world are showing that they would rather look after themselves then achieve a globalized "gene roddenberry" world.  The proof is Brexit, Trump, Taiwan DPP, Marie LePens rise.  All of these examples are in favor of nationalism.  Nationalism favor Tariffs which means having a plant in the USA is better.

I think Carrier is owned by United Technologies which has several government contracts which Trump is using as leverage.

Exactly Zubs...this goes back to the trend I pointed out in another thread way back when everybody was mocking Trumps run...

morekaos said:
...and there in lies the differences we have.  Collectivism vs individualism.  Personally, I don't buy into the whole kumbaiya, we are all in this together klan.  I believe in the power, motivation and basic greed that drives individuals to innovate, work hard and succeed.  I know that is not politically correct but I still see people as imperfect and essentially selfish.  The needs of the one far outweigh the needs of the many, but individual success will inadvertently pull forward the rest.  It is the way of capitalism.  It is exactly the battle we see in Trump vs Bernie. Republican vs Democrat.

Back