Planning our next vacation

We usually Priceline it, Hyatt Regency comes up a lot but that's a few years ago.  It's near Embarc but still a walk.  I see a few fancier hotels in Soma (south of market), is that area better now?  If so, can't beat the W hotel.

ps9 said:
We usually Priceline it, Hyatt Regency comes up a lot but that's a few years ago.  It's near Embarc but still a walk.  I see a few fancier hotels in Soma (south of market), is that area better now?  If so, can't beat the W hotel.

I can't imagine SoCal at the W.

We stayed at the Westin by the airport which was really nice.

Since we drove there... just drove into the city a few times... pretty easy.

Next time we'd fly and maybe stay in the city although it's easy to get from that Westin into the city by public transit.

Years ago we stayed at the W... it was nice too... if I can stay there, so can SoCal.

#AmishBuddies

I was planning to fly in and rent a car. Do you guys think the city is pedestrian-friendly enough that renting a car is completely unnecessary? Note: I do not do Uber. I don't care what year it is, I am not getting in the car with a weirdo in their personal vehicle. It's too much like hitchhiking with an axe murderer for my taste. I would consider other means of public transportation but I prefer to avoid taxi drivers as well - too many negative experiences. I'm a weirdo magnet. A hotel with an airport shuttle would be alright.

SoCal said:
I was planning to fly in and rent a car. Do you guys think the city is pedestrian-friendly enough that renting a car is completely unnecessary? Note: I do not do Uber. I don't care what year it is, I am not getting in the car with a weirdo in their personal vehicle. It's too much like hitchhiking with an axe murderer for my taste. I would consider other means of public transportation but I prefer to avoid taxi drivers as well - too many negative experiences. I'm a weirdo magnet. A hotel with an airport shuttle would be alright.

I hope you haves calves of steel.

Otherwise, the cost for parking will probably exceed your hotel bill.

3ee9433e99a2f020f82cbc45b8ad09d3.jpg

Headed to 4 night 5 day Bahamas Disney cruise with family in January. Can't wait :) I need a relaxing vacation.

SoCal said:
WTTCHMN said:
I can't imagine SoCal at the W.

Thank you?

At night, the lobby turns into a nightclub.  Also, the bathrooms don't have doors and the showers are open with a clear glass half-partition (i.e. your pubescent boys will see you naked when you are taking a shower).

SoCal said:
About vacations: Best hotel near SFO? Never been. Thinking of planning a family trip for this spring.

We stayed at the Four Points Sheraton San Francisco Airport a couple of years ago around New Years.  I paid for the Penthouse Suite, which was only like 150.00/night at the time, and was surprised to find that the room had an upstairs!  I've never stayed in a hotel room with two floors in the room before, so it was a pleasant surprise.  Living room and kitchen downstairs and the bedroom upstairs.  Well worth the price, I would stay there again.

WTTCHMN said:
At night, the lobby turns into a nightclub.  Also, the bathrooms don't have doors and the showers are open with a clear glass half-partition (i.e. your pubescent boys will see you naked when you are taking a shower).

Good to know! Thanks. I can't risk death by having Mr. SoCal on the toilet without a door either.

SoCal said:
WTTCHMN said:

Good to know! Thanks. I can't risk death by having Mr. SoCal on the toilet without a door either.

The toilet has a door but the rest of the bathroom (including shower) is open.  There is a curtain you can theoretically pull across to separate the bathroom area from the bedroom, but if someone walks through the front door they will still see straight into the shower.  The housekeepers must see a lot of nasty stuff.

Reviving this thread:

I'm thinking about booking a room @ the Argonaut on Fisherman's Wharf. I'll head up there in April. WTTCHMN or anyone else - have you tried this hotel? I'm probably going to book a room within the next 24 hours or so.

Also, totally random, are there any naysayers about Kaanapali Beach / Resort in Maui? I'm thinking it might be a good idea.

If my memory serves me right, I think, Iho, you said don't go to Maui -- it's too much like our home here?

SoCal said:
Reviving this thread:

I'm thinking about booking a room @ The Argonaut on Fisherman's Wharf. I'm going to head up there in April. WTTCHMN or anyone else - have you tried this hotel? I'm probably going to book a room within the next 24 hours or so.

I'm in SF all the time, my favorite hotels:

- Fairmont
- Intercontinental Mark Hopkins
- Marriott Marquis
- Marriott Union Square
- Hilton Union Square
- Courtyard San Francisco Downtown

As you can see from my list, stay near Union Square or the city center. The Wharf is a truly a tourist trap and I'd recommend avoiding staying nearby. Don't rent a car. If you have minimal luggage, take BART from SFO into the city. Install Uber and Lyft on your phone...you can get a ride at all hours.

If you like Balboa in the Summer, you'll really like Kaanapali.

Give Kauai a go. Very, very quiet - which is the point of a vacation, yes?

SoCal said:
Also, totally random, are there any naysayers about Kaanapali Beach / Resort in Maui? I'm thinking it might be a good idea.

If my memory serves me right, I think, Iho, you said don't go to Maui -- it's too much like our home here?
Nothing wrong with liking home here. Love the weather.

Kaanapali is nice, but far from airport, (Walmart and Costco are both near the airport), the water is much nicer than it is here.

Also food options are limited unless you go to a little south to Lahaina or prep food yourself from Costco.

best_potsticker_in_town said:
The Wharf is a truly a tourist trap and I'd recommend avoiding staying nearby. Don't rent a car. If you have minimal luggage, take BART from SFO into the city. Install Uber and Lyft on your phone...you can get a ride at all hours.

Tourist trap -- sounds perfect.  :) I should've clarified it's a trip I'm doing for my kids. Want to be within the most convenient location possible of the Wharf / Pier 39, all the touristy stuff. Can't lie -- heavy luggage. I was going to fly into SFO & hire a driver w/ a luxury SUV through "Perfect Limo" to take us to our hotel. (Good ratings, highly recommended on the Trip Advisor forums, good value even compared to other less personal modes of transportation.) Driver can also help w/ luggage. Same for the trip home. I'll take your advice about installing Uber & Lyft. Although I hope to not have to use it, it's good to have in a pickle.

Back