Planning our next vacation

Soylent Green Is People said:
If you like Balboa in the Summer, you'll really like Kaanapali.

Give Kauai a go. Very, very quiet - which is the point of a vacation, yes?

I'm planning the Hawaii trip for 2019. Celebrating milestones for Mr. SoCal and I. Plus, it's probably the last big family trip.... ever. :( My boys are growing up. I've been on the forum for almost 10 years now. They were little back then. My oldest will be officially "grown-up" & off to college in fewer years than I care to count. Who knows what happens then. He'll be his own man. I hope he will still want to spend time with me. But I have to accept that he may have other plans as life takes him in new directions. I want 1 last trip to singe into my memory. Something I can think about it in between his annual Christmas visits with me at the nursing home where myself and all the other old white people sit around & wait to die because their kids don't look after them either. (<----This one's for Yellow Fever.)  :D  :D

Balboa in the summer sounds hectic. Something interesting for teens would be nice. I will plan another trip back for a quiet, relaxing vacation when they're both grown. My 2nd childhood is coming soon and thankfully, I'll still be young enough to enjoy it. Wooo! I'm looking forward to it. Kauai, here I come.  :)

aquabliss said:
We stayed here in Kauai:https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lihxr-the-st-regis-princeville-resort/

Highly recommended, can't wait to go back when my kids are a bit older.

Looks really pretty. Are you worried your kids will get bored, though? If it's too relaxing, I'm afraid mine would just spend all their time staring at their phones which they could do at home. I want to interact with them a little.

I'm reading the "Things To Do on Kuaui" page now to see if there's enough to make an itinerary. Maybe there is enough to keep youth engaged & off Instagram the entire time?

SoCal said:
aquabliss said:
We stayed here in Kauai:https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lihxr-the-st-regis-princeville-resort/

Highly recommended, can't wait to go back when my kids are a bit older.

Looks really pretty. Are you worried your kids will get bored, though? If it's too relaxing, I'm afraid mine would just spend all their time staring at their phones which they could do at home. I want to interact with them a little.

I'm reading the "Things To Do on Kuaui" page now to see if there's enough to make an itinerary. Maybe there is enough to keep youth engaged & off Instagram the entire time?

Yes and no, just plan activities every day and they won't get bored.  Last time we went cave tubing, ziplining, hiking.  Plan a different activity every day.

Next time I go, definitely want to try this:http://www.liloumace.com/Trike-flying-over-Kauai-Hawaii_a1417.html

Not sure it's still around though, there have been a couple fatal crashes over the past few years.

If you go to Kauai and enjoy hiking, you have to check out the Alaka?i Swamp trail in Koke?e State Park. You can drive to the park and the trailhead is about 4,000 feet above the Kalalau Valley. Your hike starts with a beautiful vista, Kalalau Lookout. You actually don't walk in the swamp but over it, on a wooden boardwalk. The trail takes you through native Hawaiian forests and includes Ohia, Koa, ferns and you hear many local birds. The Alakai is the highest swamp in the world and the weather can get quite cool and wet at times (bring a poncho). At the end of the trail you are treated to another vista, Kilohana Lookout. If you are lucky and the weather is clear, you can see Wainiha Valley and Hanalei Bay.

Kalalau Lookout

kalalau-lookout-kauai_1200_800_85_s_c1_c_c_0_0.jpg

Alaka?i Swamp trail

Alakai-Swamp-Trail--2_1600_750_85_s_c1_c_c_0_0.jpg

Alakai-Swamp-Trail-3.jpg
[/img]

Kilohana Lookout
Hawaii-Kauai-Kilohana-Lookout-Hike.jpg

SoCal said:
If my memory serves me right, I think, Iho, you said don't go to Maui -- it's too much like our home here?

Actually... it's Hawaii as a whole. But of the islands we like most, Maui and either Kauai or The Big Island are our favorites (haven't been there in years so I forget which is which).

Honolulu is basically like any SoCal beach town (probably like Long Beach or Santa Monica or San Diego) so I would not go there.

If you like driving, the Road to Hana in Maui should be done... but just once. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
If you like driving, the Road to Hana in Maui should be done... but just once. :)

I plan to. I've heard just enough stories from a friend to be slightly scared. But not enough to cross it off my list... yet!

Our favorites are Maui and Big Island. Oahu is just like being in So Cal, nice but when on a vacation most people prefer something different than home.

Maui has nicer beaches, beautiful hikes and amazing drive up to Hana.

Big Island on the other hand has the active volcano, the southern most point in the US (absolutely gorgeous) and Hilo which is exceptionally green and beautiful. You can experience 3 different types of beaches in a single day if you want - black sand, green sand and white sand.

Depending on the age of your kids you might want to pick an island that suits everyone in the family.

If you have a minute, interesting story I posted on Tripadvisor years back:https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...T_swim_at_Hanakapi_ai_Beach-Kauai_Hawaii.html

Amazingly, the father in the story found my post and contacted me via Tripadvisor IM and said he was counting his blessings every day to be alive and well with his kids.  It was a life changing event for us and one we will never forget.  We still talk about it every 6 months or so.

aquabliss said:
If you have a minute, interesting story I posted on Tripadvisor years back:https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...T_swim_at_Hanakapi_ai_Beach-Kauai_Hawaii.html

Amazingly, the father in the story found my post and contacted me via Tripadvisor IM and said he was counting his blessings every day to be alive and well with his kids.  It was a life changing event for us and one we will never forget.  We still talk about it every 6 months or so.

Only an idiot would swim on the north shore of Kauai during the winter.  Tourists die every year despite all the warnings.  I'm surprised you even attempted to do that trek that time of year.  Hikers get trapped all the time once the tide rises.

From Wikipedia:
The narrow trail, three major stream crossings that can rapidly rise when raining, and falling rock have been cited as reasons for why the trail is one of the most dangerous in the world. In 2008, Backpacker Magazine listed it as one the "10 Most Dangerous Hikes" in the US.[1] Outside magazine rated it as one of "The 20 Most Dangerous Hikes" in the world, noting that in addition to the dangers of the trail itself, more than 100 people have died swimming on the trail's remote beaches.[2]

Hawaii is a paradise but there are many hidden dangers. Please be very mindful of weather/surf conditions. Pay attention to warning signs along beaches and trails. Consult the life guard at the beach before entering the water. Talk with locals to get insight on dangers. Bring appropriate supplies and clothing when hiking.

Also having a charged cell phone can save your life but it is no guarantee. As Aquabliss stated in her story, there was no cell phone signal in the area. When traveling to remote places with my family I always bring my ResQLink. A worthwhile investment if you hike a lot. Uses GPS and a satellite signal to send a distress call.

613DJJ5XpsL._SY355_.jpg

iacrenter said:
Happiness said:
iacrenter said:
As Aquabliss stated in her story,

Ronnie is a girl?

Actually I'm not even sure 😅

Haha, no I'm profoundly male.  My tripadvisor story even started with "My wife and I..."  I was vacationing with Ronnietta at the time.

The hike was a bit ominous but there were a good amount of people on the trail that day (we probably passed 20 or so on the way to the beach), I don't remember ever feeling in danger, but maybe I was just ignorant.

Anyone have any strong feelings about Hawaii in the summer vs. Hawaii at Christmas?

I need to catch up on this thread. Sitting here for 4 hours in a salon. Off to read the aquabliss story on T.A forum...

SoCal said:
Anyone have any strong feelings about Hawaii in the summer vs. Hawaii at Christmas?

I need to catch up on this thread. Sitting here for 4 hours in a salon. Off to read the aquabliss story on T.A forum...

Christmas is too wet and too expensive.  Go during Late May / early June or right after your kids are out school, that would be the best time.  Little rainfall, not as crowded as July / August and prices aren't at peak.

I've gone to Hawaii at Christmas. It's a lot more expensive but if you have to work around school holidays then it's a nice place to be.

I prefer the Carribbean (or the eastern side of Mexico). The water is warmer.

The only time I've gone to Hawaii in the summer is for a wedding.

For vacations, the only time we hit beach areas is in winter.

i'm in maui for easter.  I heard it's boring..Is hana worth it?  I heard it takes 4 hours there and 4 hours back to see a restaurant that isn't very good.

Back