Planning our next vacation

irvinehomeowner said:
As I said, the first 4 times it was great... but after that, you want to see something other than island beauty.
It sounds like you look for something different from your vacations than what Hawaii has to offer.  There is a lot of interesting history all over the islands about the transition from pre-Western contact until now, but maybe that's not the type of history you are interested in.  Most of the Western United States isn't particularly packed with history either.  The North East and South is where most of the US history that we learned about in school took place.
I agree with this. Our most interesting trips were NY, Boston and even Chicago. We went to FL but for DisneyWorld which I did not enjoy very much.

We went to Seattle a few years ago and that was actually fun too. I didn't even know about the whole Underground history.

Our other West Coast excursions involved mountains and hiking (which you can also get in HI) so that's why I actually don't feel that the islands have much more over Cali in ways of stuff to do... other than visit a volcano. :)

You can visit a volcano is Nor Cal:https://www.nps.gov/lavo/index.htm

irvinehomeowner said:
Liar Loan said:
The natural beauty in Hawaii far exceeds what we have in SoCal.  I suppose if you don't have any appreciation for that, there's no point in going.
As I said, the first 4 times it was great... but after that, you want to see something other than island beauty.
It sounds like you look for something different from your vacations than what Hawaii has to offer.  There is a lot of interesting history all over the islands about the transition from pre-Western contact until now, but maybe that's not the type of history you are interested in.  Most of the Western United States isn't particularly packed with history either.  The North East and South is where most of the US history that we learned about in school took place.
I agree with this. Our most interesting trips were NY, Boston and even Chicago. We went to FL but for DisneyWorld which I did not enjoy very much.

We went to Seattle a few years ago and that was actually fun too. I didn't even know about the whole Underground history.

Our other West Coast excursions involved mountains and hiking (which you can also get in HI) so that's why I actually don't feel that the islands have much more over Cali in ways of stuff to do... other than visit a volcano. :)

SoCal ocean is freezing cold. HI has nice warm water.  :p Next one for me is hitting up Aulani.

A friend of mine went to aulani and also went on disney cruise.
He said the cost is the same, but disney cruise wins by a large margin.

actually aulani is probably cheaper.

zubs said:
A friend of mine went to aulani and also went on disney cruise.
He said the cost is the same, but disney cruise wins by a large margin.

actually aulani is probably cheaper.

I'm allergic to cruises  :p

Vacation packages to Paris and London are super cheap right now, but you need a passport. Better go now before your spouse (or you) needs a burqua.

Direct flights to Chengdu from LAX with Hainan Air, $700-$800 rountrip early August, who wants to see giant pandas?  Wonder what the weathers like

peppy said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Liar Loan said:
The natural beauty in Hawaii far exceeds what we have in SoCal.  I suppose if you don't have any appreciation for that, there's no point in going.

SoCal ocean is freezing cold. HI has nice warm water.  :p Next one for me is hitting up Aulani.

Aulani is like "fake Disney Hawaii" with terrible food. But the kids love it so if you have little ones it would mainly be a vacation for them. The spa there is outstanding though.

Paris said:
peppy said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Liar Loan said:

Aulani is like "fake Disney Hawaii" with terrible food. But the kids love it so if you have little ones it would mainly be a vacation for them. The spa there is outstanding though.

That's the reason to go there - 2 little ones in tow. Costco had a decent deal.

IHO Logic:

If you want to give your little ones a Disney experience... save some money and stay in a Disney hotel in Anaheim where they actually get to go to Disneyland and Cali Adventure rather than be on a cruise or in Hawaii.

I think Canada is our next big vacay... most likely Niagra... although I wouldn't mind just going up to Vancouver.

irvinehomeowner said:
It's sort of like when people ask me if I've been to my homeland Austria recently... I've gone once many years ago... and once is enough because if I'm going to travel that far... there are many more places to visit.

Interesting. You were born there? Do you speak Austrian fluently?

I've been thinking about planning a family trip to Kentucky this summer. Now that The Ark Encounter has opened (a full-sized Noah's ark built per the dimensions given in the Bible), and it's not far from The Creation Museum, it would be great to hit up both at once. Fly into Cincy, an easy drive.

There are several Bible based theme parks in the area. Possible visit to Dollywood could be thrown in. Time it right and you'll be in the path of the Eclipse. Talk about an Action Packed trip!

My .02c

SoCal said:
I've been thinking about planning a family trip to Kentucky this summer. Now that The Ark Encounter has opened (a full-sized Noah's ark built per the dimensions given in the Bible), and it's not far from The Creation Museum, it would be great to hit up both at once. Fly into Cincy, an easy drive.
It's a bit of a schlep from Cinci but you should go to Corbin to visit the original Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant, it is a museum with a KFC location next door. It's awesome to be able to walk in the footsteps of the Colonel.

I just got back from San Francisco. I got food poisoning. My confidence waivers in the Shrimp Scampi at Cioppino's on Fisherman's Wharf.

Up until 45 minutes before hotel checkout on Friday, I was curled up under the bed covers in a suite at the Argonaut Hotel, shivering, naked, crying, and unable to keep anything down. Mr. SoCal insisted we make our flight as scheduled. "You can do this," he said. He had to dress me like a kid, stuff me in a car, and get me to the airport. Like something out of "Weekend at Bernie's", I was afraid the airline might suspect something was up and refuse to let me on. But we made it. I was barely keeping it together.

I had an aisle seat on a packed United flight back to O.C., where the stewardess stood inches from me to run through the emergency demonstration drill. She put the flotation device around her neck, looped the strap around her waist by throwing her elbow back, knocking me in the head with a sharp blow to the temple. The seconds following that are a little hazy. The next thing I remember she had stopped the drill, stooping down to my level to meet my eyes, and asking repeatedly if I was okay. After a moment, I said I was okay but maybe due to my delayed and unconvincing response, she didn't really believe me. Maybe they're also a little overly cautious due to the recent event with United. (Eyephone, I swear I didn't order the "fruit punch"!)

I am just glad that the sickness set in the morning we were leaving rather that as soon as we got there. If we had spent all that money and hadn't been able to do a single thing, then I would have been really sick for entirely different reasons.

I am recovering at home now. I am really sad that I had to miss Easter with my family. It's my most favorite day of the year. Happy Resurrection Day, everyone.

SoCal, hope you get well soon.

And please do not open up the thread "Eastwood versus Stonegate" in the OC Real Estate section.  There's certain image of ethnic food you might not want to see especially under your current condition. 

Back