Planning our next vacation

irvinehomeowner said:
Heh... I need to be connected (see workplace vacation thread).

When we were at the Grand Canyon, the lack of signal was giving me anxiety.

Studies also show that vacations where you've worked a little bit each day (i.e. answering email, etc.) are actually more relaxing than ones where you are off the grid and then come back to a pile of work.

Whatever mental recharge you got from being on vacation is quickly sapped away once you return to the grind of the real world, regardless of vacation length.  That's why multiple short vacations are actually more beneficial than one long one.

Also, people tend to derive more relaxation from thinking about a vacation (both before and after) than the vacation itself.  Being on vacation can actually be quite stressful (packing, unpacking, airports, lines, flight delays, everyone cramped in a room and hanging out 24/7, deciding where to eat, what to see, etc.).  But once you return, people's memories tend to minimize the drudgery and emphasize the highlights.

acpme said:
ps9 said:
Luger is definitely on the schedule, as well as a Katz's.  Use to live there, now I go back I can do the tourist stuff.  We're not fancy eaters but maybe have time for a Michelin star or two

When is your trip? Since you already know NYC, I'd say skip the fancy restaurants. They're the same in any cosmopolitan city around the world. Go to Lower East Side. Almost everything on Orchard, Ludlow or Essex is unique, edgy, fun, but not pretentious
Sweet Chick - hipster take on chicken and waffles
Dirty French - classic french with an edge
Vandal - restaurant hidden behind a flower shop. street art decor but excellent new american with bit of asian influence
Beauty & Essex - similar speakeasy theme, behind a pawn shop.

Well I lived there pre-Giuliani, so NYC was a lot different back then.  All I remember was snow, stinky subway, hot dogs, thick humid summer, and Big Wong's.  Thanks for the rec's, look interesting. 

acpme said:
Actually, David Chang just opened a fast casual fried chicken sandwich shop in LES.

bones said:
acpme said:
ps9 said:
Luger is definitely on the schedule, as well as a Katz's.  Use to live there, now I go back I can do the tourist stuff.  We're not fancy eaters but maybe have time for a Michelin star or two

When is your trip? Since you already know NYC, I'd say skip the fancy restaurants. They're the same in any cosmopolitan city around the world. Go to Lower East Side. Almost everything on Orchard, Ludlow or Essex is unique, edgy, fun, but not pretentious
Vandal - restaurant hidden behind a flower shop. street art decor but excellent new american with bit of asian influence

I'm not big on fancy restaurants but I have a soft spot for Le Bernardin. Maybe also add some of the David Chang empire to your list?

David chang is the momofuku guy?  Looks like my kinda food.  I'll need my junk food fixes as well:  halal guys, shake shack, gray's papaya, a big pastrami sandwich.  And that dumpling place IHS always talks about..

SoCal said:
Did you ever end up booking one of those cabins in the national park that SGIP posted the links to? I looked at them but have not booked. If you end up staying there and have a good experience, let me know. I may then book the same one. I'm basically using you as my vacation guinea pig.
Not yet.

I'll post if we do.

ps9 said:
acpme said:
Actually, David Chang just opened a fast casual fried chicken sandwich shop in LES.

bones said:
acpme said:
ps9 said:

I'm not big on fancy restaurants but I have a soft spot for Le Bernardin. Maybe also add some of the David Chang empire to your list?

David chang is the momofuku guy?  Looks like my kinda food.  I'll need my junk food fixes as well:  halal guys, shake shack, gray's papaya, a big pastrami sandwich.  And that dumpling place IHS always talks about..

Joe's Shanghai?

9F7B7C19-4989-46A3-9E7C-28CB64A28385_zpsswuu2m9b.png

Where has this been all my life?  Family couch?  Now that 13 hour flight with the little one doesn't seem too bad.  Available on China Airlines 777, flights from Lax-Taipei.  3 economy tickets and $100-200 for the upgrade is a no brainer.  Anyone actually tried it?  Families only I believe, so you can't request if only two adults :)

Ah Big Wong. Still the go to spot for congee!

The funny thing now is:
halal guys is Costa Mesa
DTF is in Costa Mesa and arguably better than Joes Shanghai, but it's different. DTF is a fancy meal, Joes Shanghai is Sam Woo BBQ.
Instead of Papaya Dogs, try Crif Dogs in the East Village

WTTCHMN said:
ps9 said:
acpme said:

bones said:
acpme said:
ps9 said:

Joe's Shanghai?

On a slightly different topic, are there any vacation places you guys have been and would absolutely never do again?

paydawg said:
SoCal said:
On a slightly different topic, are there any vacation places you guys have been and would absolutely never do again?

Miami/South Florida

Oooo, really? Do tell. Was it because of the weather or something else? I had been considering going there. Never been.

SoCal said:
paydawg said:
SoCal said:

Miami/South Florida

Oooo, really? Do tell. Was it because of the weather or something else? I had been considering going there. Never been.

Yeah you should go to the Disney Hotel in Orlando. I would avoid the lake.  ;)

I'm going to say Beaumont, CA. LOL. A long time ago, we stayed at the Best Western in Beaumont for Valentine's Day, not realizing it was in a bad part of town. The rooms are in a gas station parking lot downtown. Back then, the internet was not what it is today. It seemed like an alright idea. There was a lot of police activity outside our room. We heard a fight. The cops came. And then a drug bust. I opened the door to see what was going on. So did a black guy, naked from the waist-down, in a neighboring room, just plainly standing there in the doorway. Ahhh, the glow of the big orange 76 ball in your window at night is so romantic, almost like an eternal ghetto sunset. I understand that it has now been converted to a Motel 6.

Planning trips in 2016 is so much nicer.

paydawg said:
SoCal said:

Miami/South Florida

Agree that South Beach is overrated. The weather is too humid and at night the area becomes too douchey. It combines elements of LA and Vegas but doesn't excel at any particular aspect.

Outside the US, I have no interest in returning to the Greek Isles of Santorini and Mykonos. Absolutely beautiful but not much to do there but sit and lounge. I know that's an appealing aspect of a vacation for some but not my cup of tea. Would much rather explore the coast of Italy, France, or Turkey.

If you like hiking/mountain type vacations, Mammoth in the summer was pretty fun. The ski lodge becomes a mountain biking lodge (although we did not do that).

Easier to drive around and hiking down to see the Devil's Post Pile and Rainbow Falls is good family time.

Plus we got to use SPG to stay at the Westin Monach.

Back